Sponsored by:

Best Bang for the Buck ? - Performance

Search this Thread

Old 12 October 2000, 01:15 PM
subedude
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I have a couple of questions that I would like peoples views on - I realise that they will be subjective but appreciate any concise views in layman's terms.

I currently own a MY98 UK Turbo and thinking about upgrading. Should I try to get a deal on a MY00 or wait and see what MY01 looks like in the flesh and see what mods become available.

Secondly, if I kept my MY98 what would be the best performance enhancers in terms of reliability and price. I'm thinking of the likes of Scoobysport exhaust etc.
But is this just backbox or do you need downpipes etc.

Can anyone advise good tyres at a reasonable price and where to go for them ?

I'm not looking to spend a fortune, but I will need new tyres and if I'm going to keep the car I make like to spice it up a little.

PS meant to add that my reasons for considering the change of model was cos I've only got 10 months warranty left. Do any of you think that I need to consider this or will the car run and run for years without trouble ?
Thanks
Dude.

P.S. i realise that these topics have probably been covered many times but I would like to get an uptodate view on them ?

[This message has been edited by subedude (edited 12 October 2000).]
Old 12 October 2000, 01:23 PM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

Micheldever Tyres or Tyres Northampton seem to be flavour every month and are very good and reasonable.
After your tyres, do your brakes AP 4pots should suffice.
After your brakes sort the handling.
Anti-lift kit, anti roll bars front and rear and prodrive settings.
Old 12 October 2000, 01:36 PM
Dippy
Scooby Regular

Wink

From what I can see there are no deals on the MY00 - There seem to be enough people who want to buy the last of the old shape that the prices have actually gone up slightly!

As the 2nd hand market has collapsed the previous high resale values have now fallen considerably. You might be able to upgrade to an newer 2nd hand model really cheap - it's a buyer's market now.

I really liked my MY00, and now have the expensive taste for brand new cars. So although it would make sense for me to save a load of dosh by buying a 2nd hand MY00, I really want a new one. It would be madness for me to buy a new MY00 so I'm looking at the MY01.

From what I can see of some of the new features, especially the extra torque at lower revs, the MY01 looks very attractive to me.

I'm lucky that I don't really care what it looks like...
Old 12 October 2000, 01:42 PM
munna
Scooby Regular

Talking

why worry about warranty?....you can get an extended warranty which will give you the same type of cover that you get with the car from IM..Cost I belive is somewhere below £500.00
Old 12 October 2000, 02:19 PM
RichS
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by subedude:
<B>Secondly, if I kept my MY98 what would be the best performance enhancers in terms of reliability and price. I'm thinking of the likes of Scoobysport exhaust etc.
But is this just backbox or do you need downpipes etc.[/quote]

Okay - can't answer this question in full, but if you want significant performance enhancement, changing the back box will probably not be enough.

I've fitted a SS backbox to my MY00.
That's the only modification I have done.
It makes little or no difference to the performance of the car on its own IMHO.

That's fine as far as I'm concerned, because I only bought it to improve the cars' looks and sound and it fulfills these obligations superbly!

If you want more power, you may need to change the air filter along with the backbox.
If you want even more, change the full exhaust system - back box, de-cat mid-section, downpipe and possibly go for an inducion kit.

I'm sure the more experienced people on this BBS can advise you further on the best combination...

Rich

Old 12 October 2000, 04:39 PM
AndrewC
Scooby Regular

Cool

Munna,

You NEED an extended warranty with your luck!

Andrew...
Old 12 October 2000, 06:34 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Dude.
I also have a MY98. The Scorpion cat-back sytem (including centre pipe)and K&N induction kit were among the first mods on my car, and performance increased dramatically.
Total cost less than £400 for both.
TYRES NORTHAMPTON fitted mine, and they will be at Brands on the 27th if you need new rubber.
Have a look at
Old 12 October 2000, 07:29 PM
StanS
Scooby Regular

Hey Dude,
Also got UK98 (5 door) and biggest grin was after fitting SS centre section de-cat (I already had their back box). Best £100 ever - pulls hard right up to 7000 and more low torque + a few discreet pops etc. Kept the D/pipe std for passing MOT. Cone filter helps a bit (£50). Not convinced the TSL rising rate fuel regulator @ £200 did much.
2nd hand STI front discs/calipers @ £400 with steel hoses made a good improvement.
Stan