Sponsored by:

How about a Scoobynet use policy?

Search this Thread

Old 16 October 2001, 10:15 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

The recent "Who is Harj?" thread and previous variations have made me think that Scoobynet should have a policy regarding it's use. For instance, if someone is annoyed with another Scoobynet member and posts a new topic saying so, at some point the conflict may get out of hand. Often these things can be sorted fairly quickly offline, but sometimes it leads to prolonged animosity. This could lead to a situation whereby Scoobynet divides into camps each supporting either side of the conflict. This is not something I would like to see happen to Scoobynet. I deliberately try not to get drawn in to these conflicts, but so far I haven't known personally any of those involved. I can imagine knowing one or both parties could make life very awkward at times.

Another thing that could do with a policy is new members from other BBS's posting inflammatory comments, bombarding Scoobynet with inane posts etc.

I know we have moderators - and an excellent job they do - but often these threads go on for some time before the moderators get the chance to do something.

There are numerous other things that could also be covered by an official policy - free advertising, illegal/libellous/racist comments, pictures etc.

If a member repeatedly contravenes the policy they could be excluded from posting for a while (using their IP address) after failing to heed any warnings. Obviously everyone would need to sign up before being allowed to post.

If there is already a policy in place, and I have somehow missed it, please enlighten me. It certainly needs to be publicised (and enforced) more if one exists.

This is just an idea, but I have been increasing feeling of late that there are many issues that need to be addressed, and a Scoobynet terms of use policy could be one way of dealing with this. I assume people will have better ideas, and I hope this post sets the ball rolling.
Old 16 October 2001, 11:03 AM
Brian Swan
Scooby Regular

I seem to remember going through a "Conditions of Use" type of rules page when i signed on a few weeks ago. Maybe you and others have been on for so long now you've forgotten about it.

From memeory there were rules about what you could and could not do but there doesn't seem to be any "police" in here to implement or review. This is either good or bad depending on your point of view regarding Freedom of Speech and Big Brother.

I don't come down one way or the other on this as i haven't been here long enough but i think keeping a link available to the rules is required.

Cheers,

Brian
Old 16 October 2001, 11:10 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Brian,

You are right. When you register you have to agree with a disclaimer/policy statement. This statement though seems mainly aimed at preventing legal action against Scoobynet. It doesn't cover some of the things I mentioned. Maybe a further policy is a bit extreme. Maybe just some extra guidleines for moderators to cover situations such as personal conflicts and inane posting etc.

Old 16 October 2001, 11:23 AM
NicH
Scooby Regular

Maybe, but if someone has been ripped off or anything, shouldn't the members of scoobynet be informed.

Its a difficult one, but if i was to hear about someone that had caused damage to another person (or his scoob) i for one would like to know about it. So i didn't make the same mistake.
Old 16 October 2001, 11:33 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

NicH,

Indeed, if someone had done something as you say, then I don't have a problem with it being posted. I just wonder at the merits of it being referred to over and over again, and when it sometimes leads to fairly personal comments being made that could potential divide the Scoobynet community. Rather a difficult one I have to say, and I wouldn't like to say where the line should be drawn. I just wouldn't want a personal dispute to escalate.
Old 16 October 2001, 12:56 PM
CraigH
Scooby Regular

I agree with NicH.

If someone does something wrong like ripping someone off, or a company does it etc, it should not be a problem to voice it on here.

The only thing to be careful of is creating witch hunts - which historically has happened.

If people have categorical proof and it's of benefit to the Subaru Community to be aware of, be it dodgy companies, being ripped off by individuals or whatever, it should be aired.