Sponsored by:

Salting roads

Search this Thread

Old 11 February 2006, 11:41 PM
Moray
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Salting roads

Its about time councils stopped salting roads when not needed. People need to learn to drive in adverse conditions. Council needs to spend money on road repairs instead. Could not believe how much salt on roads today and it hasnt even got close to zero!!!!
Old 11 February 2006, 11:44 PM
stevo261072
Scooby Newbie

they have to spend your council tax money on something other than there big night out at the race course near xmas lol
Old 12 February 2006, 01:29 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are dead right about the money wasted on salting the roads and come March it will be even worse as councils get rid of their salt piles so they can have their depot space back.
A local farm and haulage operation in which I have an involvement has a road gritting contract from the local council and the haulage side collects potash, which is what the road salt is, from the mine at boulby just North of Whitby for delivery all over the UK, including Runcorn. Sometimes we even collect the stuff from Cheshire and bring it back to the North-East. There may be some method in the madness but it has eluded me for many years as a close observer.
BTW, the salt is often mixed with molasses to stop it getting blown off the road and this can make the surface quite slippy long after the threat of snow or ice has receeded.
all seems a bit pointless to me by and large and the stories I could tell you would make a cost accountant turn in his grave.
Old 12 February 2006, 01:31 PM
GrahamG
Scooby Regular

pisses me off! i had to overtake one on the A3 a few weeks ago. sounded like i had hit a wall!! so annoying!

I don't mind when the conditions are very bad.... but sometimes you seem them doing it when it's raining...
Old 12 February 2006, 01:33 PM
Crazy Chick
Scooby Regular

And it means we've got to keep washing the car.
Old 12 February 2006, 01:36 PM
GrahamG
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Crazy chick
And it means we've got to keep washing the car.
yeah right!

i need to do mine today but its bloody raining!

Fitted my exhaust yesterday so will just drive to the jet wash!
Old 12 February 2006, 02:42 PM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As long as my nearest and dearest can get around safely i dont care how much salt is on the road or how much they spend doing it.
Counclis have to go over the top because of the feer that someone claims in the event of an accident even though it might have nothing to do with ice and everything to do with people not driving to the local conditions.
I dont know how many times i've seen people driving at silly speeds in the fast lane on snow covered roads just as they would on a summers day.
Its not the councils that need educating its the drivers.
Old 12 February 2006, 05:49 PM
Carl2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by harvey
BTW, the salt is often mixed with molasses to stop it getting blown off the road .
Not heard that one, but it is mixed with crushed glass, which is probably what causes all the paint chips. I know they've changed the type of salt we use over the last 2 years.

I go gritting in winter and can't see their logic sometimes. Just about every morning it's been freezing this winter they haven't gone out and if I've walked into work and it's been pretty warm, they've one out gritting.
Old 12 February 2006, 06:57 PM
Moray
Scooby Regular

I heard someone from London calls the shots via the Met Office when they decide to grit. Which would explain your findings as they often dont get the weather right . I must admit it has been colder over long period of time this winter. Just pisses me off when they grit when it isnt going to freeze.

Originally Posted by Carl2
I go gritting in winter and can't see their logic sometimes. Just about every morning it's been freezing this winter they haven't gone out and if I've walked into work and it's been pretty warm, they've one out gritting.
Old 12 February 2006, 07:11 PM
johnscooby
Scooby Newbie

Default salt

hi ther is nothing wears than that salt for you car it gets everey wear