I got a ride in the Real Thing!

Search this Thread

Old 11 October 2000, 06:10 PM
RussP
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Awesome!

Last week I put a post on here about getting a ride in the Barretts motorsport Scooby at their test day at Challock, before the Kent Stages Rally.

Having now sat next to David Higgins, I have to say my respect for professional rally drivers has increased big time!

A Scooby in its true environment is a truly awesome beast. Even in Group N trim, it feels totally dependable. Indeed, the faith these guys have in the car to draw grip from a slippery shale forest track is absolute. The level of commitment they have to have in order to drive at the type of speeds they reach with trees just inches away demands that they have to have that belief, but I have to say the car does give a huge feeling of confidence in its abilities – I briefly saw 110mph as we slipped thru a (very sturdy looking!) wooden gate.

The build quality is superb, meaning that several hours of stop/start two mile “laps” saw no reliability problems at all – even the Michelins didn’t suffer too badly.

One other thing… It’s more comfortable than my Sti road car! Even tho its LOUD outside, with attendant exhaust pops and bangs from the anti-lag system, inside, wearing an intercom crash hat, with surprisingly compliant suspension, it’s really rather comfy! As David pointed out, it actually means you don’t always realise how fast you’re going until you get to the corner! Having said that, I could easily have stayed where I was all afternoon!

All in all, my thanks to Paul, Phil, Dave and the Barretts Team for a superb day out. Absolutely brilliant and a real eye-opener!

Russ