Sponsored by:

New key issue

Search this Thread

Old 01 February 2006, 08:10 PM
Dave_68
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New key issue

When I bought my 05 STi 2 months ago the supplying dealer (not Subaru dealer) could only locate one of the keys, they were going to send me the spare once it turned up. Today I got a package which had:

1 Key
2 key internals (circuit board)

These don't look like the original key as they were packaged in a Subaru box with the internal still sealed, so looks like they purchased a kit & then sent it on.

Couple of questions:
1. The key will operate the locks but won't open/close the doors (via blipping) & car starts then dies. Is this because the key is not coded for the car yet? If so is it just a case of going to my dealer & getting it coded?
2. The key is different as it has one buton to open & one to lock (2 buttons)whereas my original key just has the one button for both. Is one of the keys an old version or something?

Also the new key internals don't fit the new key as the internals are for a 1 button key whereas the key (as said above) is the 2 button type.

If you can make any sense of that & offer any assistance it would be most helpfull

Dave
Old 01 February 2006, 08:26 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Yep needs re-codeing at dealer.Different keys i'd guess for a different year car.And the two button internals aint gonna fit in a one button key.So its got to be another key or another set of internals.
Old 01 February 2006, 09:16 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

the circuit board is the sigma alarm what you have to do is open up the key and throw away the circuit board already in there along with top part of the key which has two holes in it for the buttons (you should have a new top part with just one hole in it) the fit the new internals in to the key cut off the button that isn't needed on the rubber cover and fit in to the new top part and then reassemble the key and you should have a single button key that looks like the original.
then code the alarm part as per the instructions in the manual and get the dealer to code the key itself.
hope this helps if you can understand it!
Old 01 February 2006, 09:41 PM
Dave_68
Scooby Regular

Is the circuit board in the new key no good then?? The one with 2 buttons?? I didn't receive a new top part (with 1 button) just the 2 new circuit boards with 1 button. If so I guess I'll just have to get a top part to the new key & then code it.

Cheers

Dave
Old 01 February 2006, 09:58 PM
Dave_68
Scooby Regular

Scratch that, sorted it, just need to code it now....If it works

Thanks for the help.