Sponsored by:

license???

Search this Thread

Old 31 January 2006, 07:28 PM
edmy716
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default license???

could any tell me any information regarding the ecu licence for ecutek and why you have to pay extra and who gets the money because its baffling me?
who polices this scheme??
Old 31 January 2006, 08:03 PM
ZEN Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by edmy716
could any tell me any information regarding the ecu licence for ecutek and why you have to pay extra and who gets the money because its baffling me?
who polices this scheme??
I can tell you exactly what you pay for.

You pay for the mapper's costs associated with purchasing a software license from Ecutek. We buy a batch of licesnse, which are consumed at the rate of one per ECU. If we flash an unlicensed ECU it will use a license from our current batch, in effect we transfer a license from our computer to your ECU.

Ultimately, Ecutek gets the revenue from the licenses, which helps to pay for their many staff, dedicated premesis, technical support (there for Ecutek dealers) and future development. To give you an idea of how much work goes into each model of car, each model can take months and months to "crack" and then there are minor revisions regularly which need to be decoded on top of that, there are at least 30 code versions for a V7/8 ECU depending on model, region, level of tune (eg STI/euro wrx/jdm wrx) and historical version.

Ecutek themselves "police" the scheme. We as mappers cannot map a car without a license available, and we buy them from Ecutek in advance.

Paul
Old 31 January 2006, 09:00 PM
edmy716
Scooby Regular

thanks for your reply
just wondering why on ecutek website it says its only 99+vat for extra car on enthusiasts software but on professional it says free unlimited updates?
tuners only charge roughly 250 for a tweak to your map yet the first map is roughly 650?
Old 31 January 2006, 09:10 PM
ZEN Performance
Former Sponsor

thanks for your reply
just wondering why on ecutek website it says its only 99+vat for extra car on enthusiasts software but on professional it says free unlimited updates?
tuners only charge roughly 250 for a tweak to your map yet the first map is roughly 650?
You are getting confused between Deltadash products and Ecutek remaps carried out with the DeltaECU product. The software to actually map ECUs will cost you over £6000 for the full range of car models. The "professional" versions you speak of are only for the Deltadash datalogging software. In this case, the regular version allows 3 cars to be datalogged, once you have done that, you need to pay for an extra license to allow you to use it with another car. The professional version can be used with an unlimited number of different cars, but has not additional functionality.

Paul
Old 31 January 2006, 09:12 PM
Trap2Terrorist
Scooby Regular

I imagine the markup is partly a case of "everybody has to make their money somehow".

I paid ~£620 for my original ecutek mapping which, as already pointed out, covers the cost of the license plus the mappers time (~ 2hours).

I don't begrudge the amount I was charged because if you see a mapper at work it really is impressive. To configure the numerous maps and 100's of individual values while still keeping the car running smoothly and within safe limits is remarkable.

Yes it's expensive but you have to give them credit for their work.
Old 31 January 2006, 09:14 PM
edmy716
Scooby Regular

on the website it says you can 'live tune' with the enthusiasts software and goes into detail about maps etc?
Old 31 January 2006, 09:17 PM
ZEN Performance
Former Sponsor

on the website it says you can 'live tune' with the enthusiasts software and goes into detail about maps etc?
The live tuning allows you do make overall changes to some general parameters, but it is not a substitue for an ECU properly mapped for your mods/application. You also need to have your ecu flashed with a User tuning map when your ECU is initially remapped.

Paul

Trending Topics

Old 31 January 2006, 09:20 PM
edmy716
Scooby Regular

cheers just after a bit more info for myself and clear up a few things
ta ant