Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Haxby's of Plymouth Goes bust (owing me money!!!)

Search this Thread

Old 27 January 2006, 03:43 AM
SimonJM
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Haxby's of Plymouth Goes bust (owing me money!!!)

Dear all,

Not sure if anyone on here has heard - the local Scooby dealer in Plymouth has gone bust with all the staff being made redundant. My sympathies go out to them all.

However, on a personal note I am rather alarmed as they owe me either a Prodrive kit or £1500.
I ordered a new Forester XT (06 model) back in Oct, including a PPP (to be fitted prior to delivery), which I paid for upfront. There was no mention at the time that the kits were not available yet.
(Had to sell the STi8 due to an expanding family!!!)

Unfortunately, Prodrive still have not released the kit and the dealer has had it on "back order" since.

As such I am out of pocket to the sum of one PPP / £1500.

Can anyone throw any light on the process of receivership and the likeyhood of me getting my money back.

Cheers

Simon
Old 27 January 2006, 08:11 AM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

If it were me I'd get on to Prodrive, ask the dealer for the details, of how to and who to get in touch with there, Hope you get it OK.
Cheers
Colin
Old 27 January 2006, 11:40 AM
zilch
Scooby Regular

Question PPP on XT

Is there a Prodrive pack on the XT, i know on the 05 it was limited to the 2 litre,
whats the "Projected" performance difference for the 2.5.

thanks

Jim
Old 27 January 2006, 01:14 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Did you pay by credit card for the PPP separately?
Old 27 January 2006, 01:27 PM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

Iirc, you need to stake your claim with the receivers unless credit card as said.
Your money is just(was) in the pot. I don't know if you can argue that your money was against a specific item and should be above other creditors or indeed just returned even now.
Anyway I thought flogging Scoobs, servicing and parts was like owning a printing press.
Sign of the times?
Warning to others too perhaps, don't pay up front 'cos what firms are secure now? Or here is the wise use of credit cards.
Imagine having paid a large deposit on a car say and then no.
I suppose that's happened to some though.
Old 27 January 2006, 01:32 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The dealer 'may' have paid Prodrive for your kit ..... therefore you should get the items from Prodrive?

Sadly Prodrive have their contract with the dealer and not you - not sure what they can/will do to help?

Good luck!

Pete
Old 27 January 2006, 04:35 PM
farmer1
Scooby Regular

Can't help you with your problem.

But I can't understand how they have gone bust, other then trying to expand to quick.

Especially at 70 quid an hour labour and they were always busy.
Old 27 January 2006, 04:48 PM
j900ase
Scooby Regular

Feel sorry for staff, but i too am owed money, or to be more precise 2 free services. (Haxbys deal not Subaru) so im out £500.

Anyone know what happens with parts on warrenty waiting to be fitted, i have new diff down there, thankfully my car was not in bits when they came and shut them down.

Heard from someone in the know that staff got sent home, mechanics and all even if they had cars in bits on ramp.

Bad news for us local people running Subarus cause they gave good px and helped keep residule values high.
Old 27 January 2006, 04:58 PM
farmer1
Scooby Regular

I should imagine subaru should still sort out all your warrenty problems at you new nearest local dealer whereever that is.

Lost out on our free tyres and MOTs for life deal aswell.
Old 27 January 2006, 05:15 PM
flynnstudio
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by farmer1

But I can't understand how they have gone bust, other then trying to expand to quick.
poor sales and what sales there are going to motorpoint etc on imports......Doubt this will be the last...
Old 27 January 2006, 07:25 PM
Typer Jim
Scooby Regular

Feel sorry for the staff, but good ridance to the company. Had no end of problems with them in the past.

Could do with a decent Scooby dealer in Plymouth now!!!!!
Old 27 January 2006, 09:23 PM
Dspeed
Scooby Regular

I heard vospers name banded about 2day?? Get ur name on the list of recivers. I have.
Old 27 January 2006, 11:52 PM
burbs
Scooby Regular

I remember thinking it was strange that Vospers were selling Subaru's in competition with Haxbys. Haxbys staff said they had known for a long time that going bust was coming close so i guess that Vospers saw the opening.

The family are ok on a personal basis, deliver to them week in and week out and are always pleasant.
Old 27 January 2006, 11:54 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Sticky situation,

Technically all the contest of the site become the property of the official reciever, its down to the individuals to prove ownership of there respective vehicles and other bits and bobs,

the problem being the work in progress, that will be the difficult one,

as for money back, unfortunatley if you do have a valid claim the best you can hope to get is in the region of 10-20 pence in the pound for your outstanding debt.

In the big pot, the biggest creditors get the payout first, and the smaller people may get zilch,

you need to get onto the recievers and start badgering,

do know whether its a viable option, but you could try a small claims action against the MD/ owner of the site for your outstanding debt

Mart
Old 27 January 2006, 11:54 PM
WR 1mposter
Scooby Regular

Yes Vospers are opening a new showroom in Truro Cornwall in March, no doubt there will be one in Plymouth soon.

If not use Ashburton Subaru top quality, and I use them even though they are nearly a 200 mile round trip for servicing

Sorry for all the staff at Haxby's, of whom i knew a couple fairly well
Old 29 January 2006, 02:03 AM
SimonJM
Scooby Regular

Dear all,

Thanks for all the replies.

I suspect that I and all the other "small fish" owed money will be lucky to see a penny of it. However, I'm not going to give up without a fight.

I have already contacted the receivers, but have had no reply from them.
I will chase Prodrive in the hope that the dealer will have paid for the kit, but I should think that is highly unlikely.

Unfortunately, I didn't pay for the PPP with a card. I paid for half the cost of the car with a cheque and the rest was on a finance agreement.
Don't suppose there is any point contacting the finance company??

Whilst I do feel sorry for some of the staff at Haxby's I can't help but feel let down by them. If Burbs' comments are correct and they knew they were about to go bust then I should have been warned and given the option of a refund.
The last time I went in to enquire about the PPP was about 10 days ago and was promised it would be available by the end of Jan. At that time I said if it wasn't here then I would want my money back. (I have subsequently found out from Prodrive that it is now the end of Feb!!!).

I like the idea of a small claims court proceedings. I'm going to contact the Citizen's Advice Bureau this week and ask them for some advice on how to proceed.
Do you know the cash limit for a small claims court.

Best wishes

Simon

PS
Zilch - The PPP was available for the MY05 XT 2.5 turbo, giving a 20% increase in power and 15% increase in torque. No figures yet on the 06 kit, but I would imagine that they will be similar taking the power to around 275bhp.
http://www.prodrive.co.uk/uploads/05...ster%20PPP.pdf
Old 29 January 2006, 11:32 AM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb Try this.

IANAL but you surely shouldn't be paying finance on something that you have never received i.e. PPP Assuming that the finance is based on car + PPP, then you could argue that your cheque went towards the car, and the finance covers part car + PPP, and so the amount owed should be reduced. The finance company should argue that you paid for PPP with your cheque and so finance should not be reduced. But a 50/50 resolution would be better than the 1p/£1 that is the most likely outcome at present.

I would phone the finance company and tell them that the car is no longer valued as high as expected, and that therefore you want to reduce the amount of loan to match, i.e. -£1500, and see what happens. If it works out then you have effectively got your money back.

PS when you eventually get £15 back from the receivers be sure to send it to the finance company
Old 29 January 2006, 05:16 PM
farmer1
Scooby Regular

They may have known they were on the verge of going bust, but not know when.

Because they let us take out a brand new 2.5 WRX on test drive on tuesday, no point risking the car if you know that you are not gonna have time to sell it.
Old 29 January 2006, 05:51 PM
Typer Jim
Scooby Regular

Dont think i feel too sorry for them after reading this forum. I was in there last weekend looking at a new STI with PPP and they were doing all they could to get me to put a deposit down knowing that they were due to go bust.... I would have been well out of pocket now!!!!

The only reason that i didnt was that they wanted £2000 for the PPP i something in the back of my head was telling me to go elsewhere!!!

Thanks Sharon!!!!!
Old 29 January 2006, 06:00 PM
The_Trevsta
Scooby Regular

yes haxby`s have gone into administration ..........

Last edited by The_Trevsta; 29 January 2006 at 06:09 PM.