Sponsored by:

Modders...BEWARE!

Search this Thread

Old 26 January 2006, 02:00 AM
team kosoku
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Modders...BEWARE!

Read in my Mini magazine that the DVLA are thinking of bringing in a new SVA test for 'Heavily Modified' cars.
The new test will be £150 and will check everything from lighting to emmisions to check legality of all mods.

Not sure what they will class as heavily modified and how they will enforce it, but it is a worrying developement in my eyes.
Old 26 January 2006, 04:03 AM
bigdavie
Scooby Regular

**** em i say **** em all

all they will acomplish in my eyes at least is make the roads less safe than what they already are !!
by doing this all they will do is criminalise drivers into a corner until we are all too afraid to mot our currently legal cars hence making some cars very illegal indeed in no time . and in no time flat i reckon the government will legislate that we all have to drive 3 cylinder hyundai diesels and still get raped on fuel bills !! no wonder im wantin out of this bloody country. blair etc are robbers in my book nothing more nothing less !! rant over lol sorry !!

Last edited by bigdavie; 26 January 2006 at 04:11 AM.
Old 26 January 2006, 08:00 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

According to Steven Ladyman, we have nothing to worry about as if they do actually bring any legislation in, modded cars will still be OK and the "new" test wouldnt be much different to the current MOT.

Look in the Feb issue of PPC, one reader had a meeting with Ladyman about it.
Old 26 January 2006, 11:33 AM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

Saw this in Practicle Classic. They reconed it would effect any car with a replaced chassis or engine, but I think it's speculation at the mo
Old 26 January 2006, 11:53 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

What about cars that were modified to their current standard 30years ago?

My landy had its engine and gearbox and brakes all upgraded in the mid/late 70's. The specification hasn't changed since Daft thing is, it'd probably fail an SVA test on technicalities, because it was never built to that standard when new and totally standard.
Old 26 January 2006, 11:57 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Most older cars would fail an SVA, even just on position of rear lights.

They will never pass it, as it would mean scrapping 50% of cars on the road.
Old 26 January 2006, 12:04 PM
Gary C
Scooby Regular

Sounds like an idea, why should people be able to fit dangerous, unapproved mods to cars (look at some of those aluminium spoilers, lethal).

We could have a verson of the German TUV approval. Only problem is that prices would rise.

Trouble is, the rule makers will use it as a way of removing 'undesirable' cars from the road, or to make lots of revenue.
Old 26 January 2006, 05:22 PM
SmUrFy18
Scooby Newbie

Well lifes a bitch and so is our goverment, though we are lucky over here were alowed nitrous in america if you get pulled over and you have a bottle of it in your car even if its empty you can have your car impounded(crushed in the worst of states)which sucks.People should be alowed to spend there money on car mods otherwise this counrty will spend even more on drugs and boose.So i think this is a bad rumour turned sour by people thinking the owrst of a non existant situation.
Old 26 January 2006, 06:00 PM
minty
Scooby Regular

Something else that they can sting us for when i'm sure our cars are much safer than the Public transport & dodgy old wrecks running on the roads!!!