Sponsored by:

Comparison between panel filters

Search this Thread

Old 25 January 2006, 09:06 AM
GrahamG
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Comparison between panel filters

I have just bought a STI panel filter, but have been wondering how this compares to any other after market one.

These are the 4 main ones I looked at, but couldn't decide on what would be best for filtration and performance.

STI

JR

K&N

Apexi

What have you got and would recommend?

G.
Old 25 January 2006, 09:09 AM
alloy
Scooby Regular

I have a green filter

To be honest I don't think there will be much difference between the panel filter brand and performance so wouldn't loose too much sleep over it
Old 25 January 2006, 09:13 AM
GrahamG
Scooby Regular

I know what you mean, I just saw a test on induction kit's and some of the results for the top brands were a little disappointing. Was hoping there was something for panel filters but couldn't find anything.

Didn't look into green... Gay colour...
Old 25 January 2006, 09:14 AM
alloy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GrahamG
Didn't look into green... Gay colour...
Yeah, but you can't see it once it's in
Old 25 January 2006, 09:18 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

IIRC Scoobymag (or similar) ran a test on panels last year and found that the STi one actually had less flow than the OE paper filter. I have a JR combined with the resonator and ram-air scoop removed to ensure plenty of cool, clean air from the inner wing and it works just fine for me. Slightly cooler running in traffic and a little earlier to spool up along with some unduction and DV noise.
Old 25 January 2006, 09:24 AM
GrahamG
Scooby Regular

really, that seems strange seeing as it would have been designed by STI. will see what mine is like. I might just get a JR. seem good price.

G.
Old 25 January 2006, 09:37 AM
flynnstudio
Scooby Regular

gonna sound like pslweis on his oil campaign here but...

I'd be very careful with an oiled filter...the induction in your air scoop will suck the oil off the filter and into your MAF - potentially destroying it, it will line your inlet manifolds, it can allow big particles in which can seriously accelerate valve wear , and the filtration can become poor to almost non-existant...

I speak not only from the knowledge passed onto me by just about everyone on the american porsche forums I used to visit but also from personal experience..before I knew this I put one on my 911 and I checked after about 100 miles when I decided I didn't like the 'feel' of the car as much and my inlet manifold and MAF was literally covered in oil...there was a 'dry' square' forming on the panel filter - and anyone re-oiling these can easily mess it up...took me a lot of effort to clean it...

so stick with paper or fibre is my advice...

Interesting re the induciton debate that ecutek state the standard air scoop and panel filter is good for 350bhp!!

I eventually put on an apexi - it was fantastic...

Last edited by flynnstudio; 25 January 2006 at 09:39 AM.
Old 25 January 2006, 09:42 AM
GrahamG
Scooby Regular

That's what i was concerned about. is the JR a non oil based?
Old 25 January 2006, 09:43 AM
GrahamG
Scooby Regular

Look here.

Very interesting

http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/2/

I wanted to see something like this for the panel's
G.
Old 25 January 2006, 09:58 AM
flynnstudio
Scooby Regular

I think the JR are oil based...

yes, it's a great link that one...

If I was running over 300BHP I'd certainly only use the apexi dual funnel induction kit...it's what they put on all the big skylines in Japan...they virtually outlaw a wet oil filter on those babies...

I think your STI panel filter was the best choice...
Old 25 January 2006, 10:02 AM
GrahamG
Scooby Regular

Hopefully. I will fit it at the weekend so hopefully it's good.
Old 25 January 2006, 10:24 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

JR's are oil based, but I have heard of no Scooby owner having any problems with the MAF when using one. The same can be said for K&N and Green, but there are some reports of ITG filters causing problems. A lot of the scare stories surrounding MAF failure began with the 98-00 cars running hotwire MAF's, which were particularly sensitive. The owners of cars of that generation often consider MAF replacement an annual service task. My JR has been installed and running perfectly well for 2 years now with no problems whatsoever, and the resonator and ram-air scoop have been out for about 18 months too.
Old 25 January 2006, 10:28 AM
GREGGYG
Scooby Regular

Smile

Mike Wood of Prodrive UK doesn't recommend after market panel filters, because, after extensive testing and research, Prodrive haven't found a panel filter that offers the same filtration as the standard paper filter. (And this could be unsafe for the car). I go with his expert opinon, seeing as it's based on fact.

You can buy my nearly new Green panel filter for £23 including p&p. (STi 02)
Old 25 January 2006, 10:28 AM
richiewong
Twatful

Originally Posted by corradoboy
JR's are oil based, but I have heard of no Scooby owner having any problems with the MAF when using one. The same can be said for K&N and Green, but there are some reports of ITG filters causing problems. A lot of the scare stories surrounding MAF failure began with the 98-00 cars running hotwire MAF's, which were particularly sensitive. The owners of cars of that generation often consider MAF replacement an annual service task. My JR has been installed and running perfectly well for 2 years now with no problems whatsoever, and the resonator and ram-air scoop have been out for about 18 months too.
Never had problems with lightly oiled, cotton filters such as Green, K&N etc.

ITG and Ramair filters used to be thick sponge absolutely saturated in gunk.
Remember having to drain the airbox once due to this. filter quickly replaced with K&N with no MAF issues.

Also used to have a Blitz SUS filter, could not filter a brick and killed 2 MAF's within 4 weeks.
Old 25 January 2006, 10:47 AM
GrahamG
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GREGGYG
Mike Wood of Prodrive UK doesn't recommend after market panel filters, because, after extensive testing and research, Prodrive haven't found a panel filter that offers the same filtration as the standard paper filter. (And this could be unsafe for the car). I go with his expert opinon, seeing as it's based on fact.

You can buy my nearly new Green panel filter for £23 including p&p. (STi 02)
That's very interesting. i have pic's on my old standard filter that came out. I put a standard one back in... the difference was made.

will see if i can get the pic's up. All i know is that it did a good job.

I really want to see a review on the apexi panel filter.

G.
Old 25 January 2006, 10:58 AM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

that study on mkiv was sponsored indirectly by apexi, I havent read it but Im guessing the apexi wins hands down?
and its a tiny filter.
the sti panel has faired miserably in all tests I have seen, my own experience is that I run K&N cone and were I able to run panel filter again it would be green cotton
Old 25 January 2006, 11:02 AM
GrahamG
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Peanuts
that study on mkiv was sponsored indirectly by apexi, I havent read it but Im guessing the apexi wins hands down?
and its a tiny filter.
the sti panel has faired miserably in all tests I have seen, my own experience is that I run K&N cone and were I able to run panel filter again it would be green cotton
Have you got any links to these reviews?

It would be interesting to see.

G.
Old 25 January 2006, 11:05 AM
GrahamG
Scooby Regular

Found this from the old group buy:

Answers to questions raised:

1. Part No: ST165464S000

2. This is a Genuine Sti part, Not fitted to any car as Std.

3. Ease of fitment - Direct swop, 60 sec job.

4. Lifespan/cleaning - Non Washable & replaced as per normal service intervals (check yer manual).

5. Performance gains - Approx 5 bhp.

6. MAF issues - non known.

Not good value for money! change every service..

G.
Old 25 January 2006, 11:22 AM
flynnstudio
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Peanuts
and its a tiny filter.

Mine was about the same size as a K&N cone..

---------------------------------------------------------------

This debate rages like the synthetic vs semi debate but the best reasoning I ever saw was

Surely the costs of manufacturing the complex air scoop on the impreza would be at least the same if not more than simply sticking an induction cone on the car ? If so, and if 5-10bhp was so easily achievable - why wouldn't they do it ?
Old 25 January 2006, 11:28 AM
GrahamG
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by flynnstudio
Mine was about the same size as a K&N cone..

---------------------------------------------------------------

This debate rages like the synthetic vs semi debate but the best reasoning I ever saw was

Surely the costs of manufacturing the complex air scoop on the impreza would be at least the same if not more than simply sticking an induction cone on the car ? If so, and if 5-10bhp was so easily achievable - why wouldn't they do it ?
yeah very ture. that's why i want to keep the original housing, which is there to keep it cooler i guess. just want to get better air flow without losing any quality in filtering.
Old 25 January 2006, 11:43 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Have a good look at the ram-air scoop, in particular pay attention to exactly where the air it sucks in comes from. The front of the bonnet on an 03 car has 3 rubber seals (along top of headlight and 2 under the bonnet leading edge) making the free flow of air from in front of the car impossible. All the air it breathes is from the engine bay, which is not only dirty, but very hot due to the almost sealed enclosure with the undertray. Add to all this the air is then fed into the inner wing and through a plastic bottle called a resonator which serves only one purpose, to quieten the airflow down to appease the tastes of ordinary people who would be put off by excess whooshy noises. In doing this it constricts the flow even more. Then, and only then can the air enter the filter housing. It takes just 20 minutes to modify this so that cool, clean, free-flowing air is induced directly from the o/s wing. Much better than the OE set-up, and considerably cheaper than an induction kit.
Old 25 January 2006, 12:02 PM
flynnstudio
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
. It takes just 20 minutes to modify this so that cool, clean, free-flowing air is induced directly from the o/s wing. Much better than the OE set-up, and considerably cheaper than an induction kit.

mmmh..sounds interesting...Got any pics/details of this modification?
Old 25 January 2006, 12:06 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I'd say use search, but it ain't there so here's a PM I sent to someone recently...

Originally Posted by Resonator mod
Remove the snorkel (black plastic air scoop which supposedly collects air at the front of the bonnet and directs into the inner wing) by removing the 2 bolts and pulling away. To the top right of the hole in the wing where this was attatched there is one 10mm nut, remove.
Remove OS/F wheel, and loosen front side of wheel arch liner by removing 5-6 plastic clips, and another 2-3 under the bumper. Pull liner away from wing to reveal the resonator. Remove foglight surround or covers, and foglight on WRX's, to expose the 2nd 10mm nut which holds the resonator in place and it can then be pulled out of the wheel arch. Rebuild all the bits and tape up the hole in the engine bay to stop heat getting into the wing (I also wedge a wad of cloth into the hole where the lighting loom comes through).

It works best with a decent panel filter. I use a JR Racing, but also recommend K&N and Green (NOT ITG ). On WRX's I also mark out where the triangle of vents on the foglight surround meet the foglight mount and drill it out to increase airflow. Also, I use a length of rubber tubing to effect a seal around the airbox.
HTH
Old 25 January 2006, 12:15 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I used to have an ITG oiled panel filter and had no probs with it but I have heard that the oil casues problems I eventually changed it for a dry STi panel filter and when I opened the airbox the bottom was full of oil, but my MAF was ok.

I know have an APS CAK in the wing with a K&N filter on it and that is great.
Old 25 January 2006, 12:30 PM
GrahamG
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wurzel
I used to have an ITG oiled panel filter and had no probs with it but I have heard that the oil casues problems I eventually changed it for a dry STi panel filter and when I opened the airbox the bottom was full of oil, but my MAF was ok.

I know have an APS CAK in the wing with a K&N filter on it and that is great.
How you getting on with the STI one?
Old 25 January 2006, 12:44 PM
flynnstudio
Scooby Regular

Cheers corradoboy - I'll have a look
Old 25 January 2006, 01:35 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by GrahamG
How you getting on with the STI one?
It was great it made a noticable instant difference to the clogged ITG one but I am not sure if that was due to it being new and unclogged or if it was a better filter.

Anyway after running it fir 2 years I finally swapped it for the APS and the STi filter was still pretty clean so I would say it is a pretty good filter.
Old 25 January 2006, 01:43 PM
GrahamG
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wurzel
It was great it made a noticable instant difference to the clogged ITG one but I am not sure if that was due to it being new and unclogged or if it was a better filter.

Anyway after running it fir 2 years I finally swapped it for the APS and the STi filter was still pretty clean so I would say it is a pretty good filter.
Cheers, well i will give it a go. see how it get on.

Cheers.
G.
Old 25 January 2006, 04:06 PM
bobthebodger
Scooby Regular

Ive got a 94 wrx and im sure there strong mafs....what panel filter should i get, i would get the standard one but i want to hear the induction and dv more....can someone send us a link or phone number, website for a decent panel filter, cheapest brand but works just has good???????

Bob
Old 25 January 2006, 04:22 PM
GrahamG
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bobthebodger
Ive got a 94 wrx and im sure there strong mafs....what panel filter should i get, i would get the standard one but i want to hear the induction and dv more....can someone send us a link or phone number, website for a decent panel filter, cheapest brand but works just has good???????

Bob
Talk about lazy Bob,

try

www.scoobyworld.co.uk or
www.scoobymania.co.uk

falling that... you can get apexi's from me . £45 delivered.

PM if you are interested.

G

Quick Reply: Comparison between panel filters