Sponsored by:

Advice please!!

Search this Thread

Old 22 January 2006, 05:21 PM
54Roadster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice please!!

Newbie looking to take the plunge on a 54 plate sti with PPP c.£19k.

My Dealership is expecting it in this week, and it is exaclty the model I am after. So before I part with my hard earned, I could do with a bit of reassurance if anyone can advise.

I have test driven a 54 plate sti (non PPP) last week, and was gobsmacked at how fast it was. Really like the feel of the car and to be honest, its burning a hole in my pocket.

Even though the car will still have warranty (2 years?) and is being bought from the a dealership, is there anything that i need to look for or check, apart from the usual history checks to make sure its not been bent or ringed.

i have had a scout on the forum and can't see anything that the car seems to suffer with in particular, apart from the possible whine on the back wheel that has been mentioned a few times.

I am fortunate enough to be able to get one newish from a dealer so am not too scared (apart from my insurance going to be about £800!)

Anything that scooby fans can tell me to look out for?

cheers guys
Old 22 January 2006, 05:23 PM
Flash 1
Scooby Regular

**** me £800 insurance must still be in nappies
Old 22 January 2006, 05:25 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The shockers are a problem apparently, so is the battery ....... quite a lot get fed up with the STi within a few weeks.

It's difficult to live with, so it is said, too hard - just not pleasant at all .... great on a test drive - but what about taking it 300 miles on a run?? Hmmmmmm, you can't without ending up with all your fillings out.

However, I am sure you will enjoy it ............... it's just that the standard car is easier to live with - allegedly -

Pete
Old 22 January 2006, 05:26 PM
54Roadster
Scooby Regular

tyne and wear mate..comes with the territory

6 years no claims, 32 years old! and a garage
Old 22 January 2006, 06:22 PM
Dave_68
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
It's difficult to live with, so it is said, too hard - just not pleasant at all .... great on a test drive - but what about taking it 300 miles on a run?? Hmmmmmm, you can't without ending up with all your fillings out.
I can't understand while people say this, I've had my 05 STi PPP since Nov & don't find it hard at all, find it very comfy, not particulary stiff & quite quiet. You people must be used to driving Yank cars if you think the STi is hard!!! Comming from my S1 Elise it's like driving an arm chair....

The six speed box is quite hard work though.
Old 22 January 2006, 06:32 PM
54Roadster
Scooby Regular

Default Elise?

Funny you should mention an elise, my alternative is an elise or maybe even vx200 turbo. Similar figures on speed, very different cars.

If only scooby did a rag top!
Old 22 January 2006, 06:33 PM
flynnstudio
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dave_68
You people must be used to driving Yank cars if you think the STi is hard!!! Comming from my S1 Elise it's like driving an arm chair....

Classic...
Old 22 January 2006, 07:09 PM
NorthDownsScooby
Scooby Regular

further to this thread:

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=486100

DON'T buy it without seeing the Prodrive certificate proving that PPP has officially been installed. If they haven't got it, don't buy it, whatever the reason.
Old 22 January 2006, 11:00 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Coming from a civic type r the 03sti is smooth.
I've done 600miles in a day in the scoob and felt fine, doing the same trip in the civic was painful.
I've done 25k in the sti and to be honest it was the best move I ever made in years of buying cars. The handling is great, the speed is silly and the ride comfort is surprisingly good-better than my wifes focus st170.
As for problems, knocking rear shocks-but new modified parts are available to cure this under warrantee. The batteries can be weak-mine has always been fine though.
My 03sti ppp has been totally reliable and a great buy, the 04sti ppp will also be a great car.

Have fun test driving.

dipster