unfortunatly ive been possibly had by a member

Search this Thread

Old 19 January 2006, 05:56 PM
apples24
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default unfortunatly ive been possibly had by a member

took train a hudred miles or so to pic up a car from here
bought car went to petrol station round corner filled up, was sat in petrol station on phone engine idling pulled away big puff smoke, it cleared and seemed fine, come to junction ideling puled away puff smoke again but once driving was smoke free so continued, on motorway started smoking then missfiring then slowed down got hard shoulder called AA waited over an hour he comes out diagnoses burnt out valve/ valves

i told him what happened he spotted the spanking clean oil in engine and said this is too clean so has recently been topped fully or constantly topped up, and the smoking was an indication of oil useage

i was only doin 70 on the cruise control im not happy atall thats hardly fair is it, its outside now does fire but misses and smokes ive gotta get the head taken out and valve or two replaced

considering i didnt even get 2 miles from were i bought it from ive emailed the bloke from here with the above hopefully appealing to his good nature

im not accusing him off ripping me off but it does feel theres a good chance of it, and he knew something wasnt quite right, cars not a scoob by the way

spoke to a v good mechanic friend of mine hes coming over to take the car to workshop and take head / heads off
lucky for me hes cheapish and mates rates but still gonna prob cost me 300 quid
Old 19 January 2006, 06:01 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Forgive me for asking this.... but are you not a car trader?

Regards,
Shaun.
Old 19 January 2006, 06:02 PM
flat4_ire
Scooby Regular

[did u not take it for a good ragging out the road before u bought it?
of course he knew somethin was up, but hes just selling, its up to u really to get it checked properly etc ya know?
Old 19 January 2006, 06:07 PM
apples24
Scooby Regular

yes i am to a degree

i bought this vehicle for work purposes to tow with
Old 19 January 2006, 06:08 PM
apples24
Scooby Regular

the thing is we had such a long chat viqa email pm and telephone i asked him to describe honestly as coming a long way i trusted his word
Old 19 January 2006, 06:11 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

The Sales of Goods act does not really apply to private car sales, however it must still be in the condition as stated in the advert. You must prove the fault was there at time of sale, if you can do this you have a good case. If its less than 5k value then you have a good chance with a small cliams track, if its over this its going to be costly.
Old 19 January 2006, 06:11 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by apples24
took train a hudred miles or so to pic up a car from here
bought car went to petrol station round corner filled up, was sat in petrol station on phone engine idling pulled away big puff smoke, it cleared and seemed fine, come to junction ideling puled away puff smoke again but once driving was smoke free so continued, on motorway started smoking then missfiring then slowed down got hard shoulder called AA waited over an hour he comes out diagnoses burnt out valve/ valves

i told him what happened he spotted the spanking clean oil in engine and said this is too clean so has recently been topped fully or constantly topped up, and the smoking was an indication of oil useage

i was only doin 70 on the cruise control im not happy atall thats hardly fair is it, its outside now does fire but misses and smokes ive gotta get the head taken out and valve or two replaced

considering i didnt even get 2 miles from were i bought it from ive emailed the bloke from here with the above hopefully appealing to his good nature

im not accusing him off ripping me off but it does feel theres a good chance of it, and he knew something wasnt quite right, cars not a scoob by the way

spoke to a v good mechanic friend of mine hes coming over to take the car to workshop and take head / heads off
lucky for me hes cheapish and mates rates but still gonna prob cost me 300 quid
Sorry you've apparently purchased a car with a serious problem- that sucks!

But, if it's a private sale, it's sold as seen I'm afraid. As long as he did not deliberately misrepresent the car in the advertising, there is very little you can do.

I'm afraid it's probably best to chalk this one down to experience and be grateful you've got mates in the know and that it's not going to cost you more.

There is, of course, a chance that this is a genuine co-incidence.

It just highlights the importance of getting a proper inspection before purchasing a car! Take note people!

NS04

Last edited by New_scooby_04; 19 January 2006 at 06:15 PM.
Old 19 January 2006, 06:17 PM
apples24
Scooby Regular

oh yes know im goofed as far as comebacks legalily wise

spose could of been worse lol i might of needed new engine

its just the fact was told totally reliable runs v sweet etc etc

my only purpose here is to try to appeal to his good nature, plus the fact ive got to use the new washing machine money to repair the car lol missis is pissed
Old 19 January 2006, 06:22 PM
New_scooby_04

oh yes know im goofed as far as comebacks legalily wise

spose could of been worse lol i might of needed new engine

its just the fact was told totally reliable runs v sweet etc etc

my only purpose here is to try to appeal to his good nature, plus the fact ive got to use the new washing machine money to repair the car lol missis is pissed
To be fair he's hardly gonna say: "It's a sh*t heap mate- would run a mile if I were you!!"

If he's ripped you off, he's not gonna get in touch. If it's genuinely "one of those unfortunate things" and he didn't know there was a serious issue then it's not fair to expect him to pay out- he sold it in good faith; he just got lucky and you just got unlucky

ALWAYS get a car inspected prior to purchase unless you can afford to loose money on it!

Sorry again, though!

NS04
Old 19 January 2006, 06:46 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

sorry to hear that,off topic.bad news using your phone in the garage by the way.

Mac
Old 19 January 2006, 06:54 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Why is it bad to use the phone whilst in his car?
Old 19 January 2006, 07:10 PM
apples24
Scooby Regular

WELL HE REPLIED AND HAS OFFERED ME 100 TOWARDS REPAIRS WHICH I ACCEPTED SO OK NOW IT WILL ONLY COST ME 200

I SHALL THANK MY LUCKY STARS WASNT A LOT MORE EXPENSIVE TO REPAIR AND PUT IT DOWN TO JUST ONE OF THOSE THINGS

ANDY THANKYOU

DUNNO IF YOUVE FOUND THIS THREAD OR NOT BUT THOUGHT BETTER POST IT
Old 19 January 2006, 07:15 PM
Swen6
Scooby Regular

Lesson learnt me thinks. Yes you have to take there initial word as you try and build a picture before travelling. But certainly don't buy on their advice, you do have your own mind.

Went to look at a Mini Cooper with my mum 100 mile round trip, spoke to him before hand, 'yeah it's a lovely clean car low miles', so off we went. When we got there he was going through this and that when he just dropped in to the conversation that in was a insurance repair and 'might' be on the register.
Well i know in theory if it's been repaird properly then it's no different to any other, but the fact of him failing to say this one the phone put us off.
As my mum and myself discussed this he kept giving his opinion of, well it was me i'd buy it', well were not you and your starting to **** me off.
We didn't buy it, she went and brought a purple Cooper S instead.
Old 19 January 2006, 07:30 PM
big_xavier
Scooby Regular

I was interested in the shogun as well, glad I didnt buy it.. a cheap motor eh !
Old 19 January 2006, 07:31 PM
jockc79
Scooby Regular

its good to see a car dealer getting done they do people like that everyday
hahahahahahahahahaa
Old 19 January 2006, 07:38 PM
apples24
Scooby Regular

dont tar everyone with same brush
Old 19 January 2006, 07:56 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Originally Posted by jockc79
its good to see a car dealer getting done they do people like that everyday
hahahahahahahahahaa
Nice comment m8
Old 19 January 2006, 08:17 PM
scoobydooooo
Scooby Regular

dont tar everyone with same brush
how do you like them apples ?? !!! sympathy, watchword of scoobynet !!
Old 19 January 2006, 08:36 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

think you should name and shame the bloke that RIPPED YOU OFF my self.
i really despize dishonest, lying f*u*kers. no doubt he knew exactly what the problem was with the car and should offer to pay for all the work to be carried out. (providing your story is legit)
Old 19 January 2006, 09:17 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by bob r
think you should name and shame the bloke that RIPPED YOU OFF my self.
i really despize dishonest, lying f*u*kers. no doubt he knew exactly what the problem was with the car and should offer to pay for all the work to be carried out. (providing your story is legit)
We don't know that.

If he was trying to rip Apples off, then why pay anything? Apples could disclose his SN identity, big deal! To be fair- and I don't mean this with any disrespect to Apples, I got shafted myself once- he should have had the car inspected properly.

If it was just one of those unfortunate things then he has made a very nice gesture: cars are sold 'as seen' and if he sold a car he genuinely believed to be in good order, he'd be entitled to argue that he shouldn't have to cough up a penny.

NS04
Old 19 January 2006, 11:08 PM
G00ner
Scooby Regular

Location: Poole - in an Isuzu D-Max LE (Prodrive Version) Gamer Tag "Coin Slot"

Great news!

After you sold me that 'spare' Morpheus that was brought on a bent credit card.

Hopefully the bigends go next.
Old 19 January 2006, 11:51 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Apples24 is a car dealer

And he buys a pig-in-a-poke??

I hope he doesn't give up the day job!!

Pete
Old 20 January 2006, 08:34 AM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Is this the same Apples selling multiple PSP's???
Old 20 January 2006, 08:50 AM
redwrx
Scooby Regular

I had an experience, not the same as this, but car related. I had a 2nd hand engine fitted, paid my money £1300 which included fitting. Took it up the road, got 6 miles from where i bought it from, and the engine went....... called the RAC, who duly took me home (80miles away), they spotted that a water hose had not been fitted correctly and come off, it had lost all the water, and took the engine out.

I spoke to trading standards. Clearly i had a cause to claim.

The guy who supplied the engine said, well "you heard it running" , so its sold as seen. (but it was hardly warm, or built pressure up)

According to the trading standards, they told me...... sold as seen only applies to what you 'can see'......ie, body work. How can you see inside the engine to see if its faulty.

So, if you have been sold a car, thats 'dodgy', then if its engine related, you have a claim.......but, you have to take it up with the person you bought it off first, ask them what they will do about it, before you touch it.... once you've touched it, you've removed the evidence.

Even on a private sale, the goods have to be fit for purpose, unless it is clearly stated before you buy....and you accept that, and the cost reflects the defect. If you have been assured in your communication that it was in perfect running order, and it wasnt, then you have got a claim.

Hope you get sorted mate

Frank
Old 20 January 2006, 11:10 AM
Robbie T
Scooby Regular

'Buyer beware' i guess.

I'm sure we've all sold something which we know to be not up to scratch, i know i sold my first car as a ****heap which the buyer wanted half to repair it. Told him to poke it as it was sold as seen (written on invoice), at the end of the day you should know what you're looking at or take someone who does.

I had my share of bad luck shortly after with a car i bought from a trader which the head gasket went on it after 300 miles, what goes around comes around i guess (cue 'my name is earl' karma references )

Sounds like there is more to apples than meets the eye tho <keeps a close eye on thread>
Old 20 January 2006, 12:21 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by G00ner
Great news!

After you sold me that 'spare' Morpheus that was brought on a bent credit card.

Hopefully the bigends go next.
yah i thought this guy had ripped someone off before. but the search is down so i couldn't check it out.

what goes around come around.
Old 20 January 2006, 01:43 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I dont see the problem, the boke has given £100 to help, he could have told him to **** off!! Just check the car better next time..

Anyone wanna buy a mini by the way
Old 20 January 2006, 04:16 PM
Carl2
Scooby Regular

WELL HE REPLIED AND HAS OFFERED ME 100 TOWARDS REPAIRS WHICH I ACCEPTED SO OK NOW IT WILL ONLY COST ME 200

I SHALL THANK MY LUCKY STARS WASNT A LOT MORE EXPENSIVE TO REPAIR AND PUT IT DOWN TO JUST ONE OF THOSE THINGS
Have you already had it repaired? Assuming the AA man has got it right, you need to find out why they burnt out and sort that as well and possibly any other engine damage caused as a result. It could be alot more than £300. If you just replace bits, who's to say they won't burn out 2miles further up the road.

If you only got 2miles up the road, then I would have been tempted to get the AA man to take you back to where you bought the car from.
Old 20 January 2006, 04:57 PM
fatscoobyfella
Scooby Regular

Was this the 3500 V6 shogun with a million miles on???
Old 20 January 2006, 05:56 PM
apples24
Scooby Regular

well all sorted a new head gasket 4 new valves and a set of new valve guide seals

cost me 375 not a hint of smoke, already worked it i towed a trailer with my scooby on it so atleast its being used

as for the morpheous he never even told me or contacted me until about 2 years later when he dropped it into s thread of mine, had he of told me closer to the sale i would of refunded him fully i do not deal in bent goods

in that case i bought two from a bloke in a mobile phone shop if i remember rightly

Quick Reply: unfortunatly ive been possibly had by a member