Sponsored by:

Wet twisty's

Search this Thread

Old 14 January 2006, 06:16 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wet twisty's

I put a few miles on the clock of the scoob today in awfull conditions. Wet roads and loads of rain and it got me thinking.

Personally when the weather is like that I turn off attack mode and drive carefully and well within the cars capabilities. So when wet twisties are mentioned on here are the drivers much braver than me or just more stupid?

Gary
Old 14 January 2006, 06:21 PM
PPPsteveo
Scooby Regular

Well i'm new to this site and scoob ownership but after i changed the tyres on it i drive faster if its wet but not ***** out charge of the light brigade fast and last week i had my first ever experience of a power slide light rain, coming off a roundabout booted it in 2nd.....hmmmm.....301 ponies sliding....was only a little one...honest.....mate laughed his **** off, bless him, now i kind of know not to do that too much
Old 14 January 2006, 06:26 PM
captain ted
Scooby Regular

Is it me or is "Twistie" the most rediculous name for a bend?

Sounds like some dodgy CB Radio talk from the 80s.

Ted.
Old 14 January 2006, 06:32 PM
Phil Herrup
Scooby Regular

Talking

Roger 10 4 Ted Over'n Out
Old 14 January 2006, 06:46 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gutmann pug
I put a few miles on the clock of the scoob today in awfull conditions. Wet roads and loads of rain and it got me thinking.

Personally when the weather is like that I turn off attack mode and drive carefully and well within the cars capabilities. So when wet twisties are mentioned on here are the drivers much braver than me or just more stupid?

Gary
I think people have just had the words "twisties "and "good in the wet" drilled into their brains so often on here people actually believe it. I took a corner at 50 in the wet the other morning and the back end went out a beauty, had it not been for my god like driving skills there would be another post up here about writing a scoob off
Old 14 January 2006, 06:53 PM
Frazer
Scooby Regular

I'd love to see some of these "wet twisty's" Subaru keyboard warriors match a decent hot hatch down a back road with a good driver/tyres. Have you seen the new tyres they fit to new age STI's!
Old 14 January 2006, 07:48 PM
captain ted
Scooby Regular

Tiss just a car, not some kind of mystical form forged from the fires of some fancy named mystical place and put together by winged angel type beings.
(also mystical).

Ted.
Old 14 January 2006, 09:51 PM
reno
Scooby Regular

i always drive more steady in the wet, after sticking mine into some railings on a damp road.
But if i do find myself on a damp bend with good visibility and nothing else about, pushing that little harder, trying to find where it goes wrong suppose

Reno
Old 14 January 2006, 09:54 PM
Crazy Chick
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by captain ted
Is it me or is "Twistie" the most rediculous name for a bend?

Sounds like some dodgy CB Radio talk from the 80s.

Ted.
Old 14 January 2006, 10:01 PM
swtmerce
Scooby Regular

I've been driving for 15 years and most of that time I've been in hot hatches and above, and I do believe I am a good driver. However each car is different and requires a period of learning. Having only had my scoob for two weeks (having changed from a Merc C240), it's my first 4wd car and I'm still trying to understand HOW to actually drive this car. Spoke to a mate last week who went on John Lyons performance driving course and it sounds like a very good investment. Especially for me considering 4wd requires a completely different set of rules.
Old 15 January 2006, 01:07 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Gary
Agree entirely

I think some are overconfident in themselves and their car's ability.

I know what a Scoob is capeable of, and what it "can" do when pressing the handling to its limits, and it isn't what I'd consider "good in the twisties". I may suspect many people have yet to fully find that out properly, or perhaps they go around blaming tyres, mud, diesel, rutted roads etc etc

So perhaps we should add ignorant to that list too?

Last edited by ALi-B; 15 January 2006 at 01:10 AM.
Old 15 January 2006, 09:46 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Cue scooblou!
Old 15 January 2006, 10:11 AM
willipdarling
Scooby Regular

Personally i think that the car can actually handle more than the driver .
When people crash them or "get something wrong" its down to the driver. Obviously bad tyres make the grip sh**e and that isnt going to help, but then again who put the tyres on there?
Old 15 January 2006, 10:31 AM
Buckrogers
Scooby Regular

I prefer driving in the wet, you can find the limits of a car quicker and at slower speeds. Although I have not really pushed the scoob on public roads.

When I did 4 laps of the Nurburgring in the rain (entire circuit was wet) I was amazed at the levels of grip still there. A lot of corners the tyres where still squealing, as in the dry laps, but not through power sliding, but nearing the limits. I would say I was driving the car to within 85% - 90% of a dry lap time.
Old 15 January 2006, 10:38 AM
Manners
Scooby Regular

I was keeping up with a porker on the Cat and Fiddle, damp conditions, slight right followed by slight left, taking straightest line and car started to twitch one way slight correction then the other. Only panic kept the power on to pull me out of the s##t!!! Unless you experience near misses on a weekly basis i don't think any amount of training can help, before ABS we all knew to pump the brakes but how many just buried it in the carpet and kept it there?
Old 15 January 2006, 10:54 AM
MBK
Scooby Regular

I was following a newage WRX a few months ago in some very wet conditions. He was really moving and I was happy to let him pull out a gap, I know my limits. I watched him brake mid corner several times - which I think is number one recipie for disaster especially in the wet. At about 50ish he entered the next left bend which tightened up mid corner, he just dabbed the brakes on entry and the back just slid away, full 360 in the road and bounced off both the kerb on one side and a grassy bank on the other. Very minor damage to the front of the car, lucky that there was no oncoming traffic and that I was far enough back to stop before the corner.

You can't ignore the laws of physics even in a scoob - that's a lot of weight to start changing direction mid corner.
Old 15 January 2006, 01:39 PM
Jay_bee
Scooby Regular

Location: Lancaster/Manchester or stuck in a traffic jam somewhere in between

Gary
I think personally, it bullsh1t. Attempting to drive hard in the wet (on public roads)... whats the fecking point?

(not aimed at you btw )

Last edited by Jay_bee; 15 January 2006 at 03:43 PM.
Old 15 January 2006, 01:53 PM
Trap2Terrorist
Scooby Regular

I like driving in wet conditions sometimes, I take it on as a personal challenge. I don't drive dangerously or beyond my capabilities but I do still test myself from time to time - again nothing rediculous.

I recently changed tyres (went from a Toyo/Michelin PS2 combination to Avon ZZ3's that came on the wheels) and the difference is very noticable. I have no confidence in the wet on the ZZ3's, they just don't feel as planted and safe as the previous tyres.
Old 15 January 2006, 02:27 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trap2Terrorist
I like driving in wet conditions sometimes, I take it on as a personal challenge. I don't drive dangerously or beyond my capabilities but I do still test myself from time to time - again nothing rediculous.
So what you're saying is you find it a personal challenge most of the time as it's always bloody raining(unless you live abroad)