Sponsored by:

Imports and warranties

Search this Thread

Old 13 January 2006, 04:01 PM
flynnstudio
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Imports and warranty News Update

Just thought this might be of interest. In this weeks motoring news IM announced they will honour the warranties ( which is not news to many) but what was intersting is that they said it was a gesture of goodwill and that they are not legally obliged to honour warranties sold by non-authorised resellers and furthermore that the 'supply of imported cars will dry up very soon' !!!

Looks like plans are afoot to stop the dealerships in the countries selling into the uk - probably by threat of termination...

Last edited by flynnstudio; 13 January 2006 at 04:26 PM. Reason: changed title
Old 13 January 2006, 04:28 PM
Soobmeister
Scooby Regular

there will be more twists to this saga, i'm sure.......
Old 13 January 2006, 04:48 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

but how can they stop us buying from europe as we are part of the european community and can trade freely with europe so there is bound to be some law they will break if they stop us ????
Old 13 January 2006, 04:59 PM
flynnstudio
Scooby Regular

well in 1990 the UK record insdustry managed to stop some pretty awesome european and uk indie dance music (anyone remember rave, italian house etc) from selling in the shops in UK and replaced it ( ie saturated the market) with a load of old second rate crappy hip-hop/rap sh*te......

...so I don't think they're going to have much trouble with a few rogue scooby dealers in malta and cyprus....

They won't be able to stop you personally going out there and buying one but I should think they'll be able to apply suitable 'pressure' to stop pre-registered volume shipments to places like motorpoint or all brands new...
Old 13 January 2006, 06:59 PM
tim's wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by flynnstudio
Just thought this might be of interest. In this weeks motoring news IM announced they will honour the warranties ( which is not news to many) but what was intersting is that they said it was a gesture of goodwill and that they are not legally obliged to honour warranties sold by non-authorised resellers and furthermore that the 'supply of imported cars will dry up very soon' !!!

Looks like plans are afoot to stop the dealerships in the countries selling into the uk - probably by threat of termination...
Subaru Europe contacted me recently saying:-

........... "I should add, however, that we do not condone any sales of new vehicles through unauthorised resellers as the original supplier would be in breach of its distribution agreement."

This would appear to support the view that Subaru Europe will stop the likes of Subaru Malta and Subaru Cyprus from bulk sales to Motorpoint, where Motorpoint are acting in the capacity of unauthorised reseller.

However, there is nothing to stop Motorpoint acting as an intermediary by getting the customer to sign a mandate or an intermediary agreement (appointing Motorpoint or any other party to purchase the car on behalf of the customer).

If cars were purchased in this way from Subaru Malta or Subaru Cyprus, then Subaru UK would, without any question, be legally bound to honour the 3yr / 60,000 mile pan European warranties.

Of course there is no problem with the warranties on personal imports done directly by the end user and an authorised Subaru dealer in Europe.

As regards Subaru UK claiming that it was a "gesture of goodwill" on their part to honour warranties I gather from correspondence from Subaru Europe that Subaru UK were actually INSTRUCTED to honour these warranties against their will, because Subaru Europe was concerned that Subaru customers were being messed around.
Old 13 January 2006, 07:51 PM
flynnstudio
Scooby Regular

I'd say 3 months from now you won't get a MY06 WRX for less than £21K again...so hurry hurry hurry..
Old 14 January 2006, 04:33 AM
Mjb1957
Scooby Regular

Default warranty

I bought my WRX 2005 from Virgin Cars , I knew about the warranty issues surrounding Subaru , so the people at Virgin asked for a copy of my V5 form ,drivers licence and a signed copy of an order form from myself instructing Virgin to buy an Impreza on my behalf . I am just waiting now to see what the outcome is .

Originally Posted by tim's wrx
Subaru Europe contacted me recently saying:-

........... "I should add, however, that we do not condone any sales of new vehicles through unauthorised resellers as the original supplier would be in breach of its distribution agreement."

This would appear to support the view that Subaru Europe will stop the likes of Subaru Malta and Subaru Cyprus from bulk sales to Motorpoint, where Motorpoint are acting in the capacity of unauthorised reseller.

However, there is nothing to stop Motorpoint acting as an intermediary by getting the customer to sign a mandate or an intermediary agreement (appointing Motorpoint or any other party to purchase the car on behalf of the customer).

If cars were purchased in this way from Subaru Malta or Subaru Cyprus, then Subaru UK would, without any question, be legally bound to honour the 3yr / 60,000 mile pan European warranties.

Of course there is no problem with the warranties on personal imports done directly by the end user and an authorised Subaru dealer in Europe.

As regards Subaru UK claiming that it was a "gesture of goodwill" on their part to honour warranties I gather from correspondence from Subaru Europe that Subaru UK were actually INSTRUCTED to honour these warranties against their will, because Subaru Europe was concerned that Subaru customers were being messed around.
Old 14 January 2006, 10:47 AM
flynnstudio
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mjb1957
I bought my WRX 2005 from Virgin Cars , I knew about the warranty issues surrounding Subaru , so the people at Virgin asked for a copy of my V5 form ,drivers licence and a signed copy of an order form from myself instructing Virgin to buy an Impreza on my behalf . I am just waiting now to see what the outcome is .
Virgin have just announced that are throwning in the towel...better keep on them hard - they are winding up their car division...
Old 14 January 2006, 12:15 PM
Barmyclown
Scooby Regular

I bought my 2002 Bugeye from virgin, It came from a dealer in holland. I think the important thing is who`s name is in the front of the service book as the buyer of the car. Mine has me as the buyer of the car with all my details correct at the time. So as far as IM is concerned you have gone across to europe and bought the car there yourself. Then it would be covered by the pan european 3 year warrenty they have. But I did also send the paperwork back to Subaru Benelux to register my warrenty there aswell.

Jase.