Sponsored by:

EVO 9 v RS4 v C4 in EVO mag

Search this Thread

Old 13 January 2006, 07:55 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EVO 9 v RS4 v C4 in EVO mag

I have to say I was impressed how the Evo was so much quicker round Bedford than the other far more expensive machinery.

The only comment I will make is when will jap car manufacturers learn about brakes? Its always been the achilles heel on their and cars and once again after 1, I repeat 1 lap the Evo's brake pedal was already needing further travel before it started to work. I would suggest that 2 or 3 laps later they would have been no more. So we could be talking about 5 mins of hard work and the brakes have gone..........

Why dont they bite the bullet put some decent kit on them from new and if necessary increase the price by £500-£1000 accordingly?

Makes me mad

Gary
Old 13 January 2006, 09:02 AM
Bartop
Scooby Regular

To play devils advocate I suppose they would say that they are up to the job for the vast majority of the people who are going to drive them day to day.
Hard core enthusiasts or people who want to track them can obviously pay to upgrade them according to their taste/requirements/budget..
Old 13 January 2006, 09:59 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

So why dont Audi, Porsche, BMW do the same?

These cars are sold on their performance, ability and often after reviews showing their capability on track. All too often the lack of brakes is exposed as an issue.

We are talking about a car which costs in excess of £30K has the ability to get to 60mph in around 4.5 secs and onto 160mph. It has some of the best trick equipment on the market to aid it around corners, yet the brakes can be exposed as weak after 86 seconds and probably 10 corners?

When I say EVO read Subaru too by the way.
Old 13 January 2006, 10:30 AM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by Gutmann pug
So why dont Audi, Porsche, BMW do the same?

These cars are sold on their performance, ability and often after reviews showing their capability on track. All too often the lack of brakes is exposed as an issue.

We are talking about a car which costs in excess of £30K has the ability to get to 60mph in around 4.5 secs and onto 160mph. It has some of the best trick equipment on the market to aid it around corners, yet the brakes can be exposed as weak after 86 seconds and probably 10 corners?

When I say EVO read Subaru too by the way.
most subaru drivers do not tank around nurburgring! but i know what you mean bite the bullet and get a set of ap's
martin
Old 13 January 2006, 10:42 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by p1doc
most subaru drivers do not tank around nurburgring! but i know what you mean bite the bullet and get a set of ap's
martin
Its not that though Martin. Most write ups quote the lack of brakes. The cars are updated every year and every year the write up says the same thing.......
Old 13 January 2006, 11:11 AM
New_scooby_04

Its not that though Martin. Most write ups quote the lack of brakes. The cars are updated every year and every year the write up says the same thing.......
Yep, I agree. Serious performance needs serious brakes. It was interesting seeing the praise the P1 received after Prodrive released the WR sport add ons, including the uprated Alcon brakes (which attracted most of the attention in the reviews).

Problem is, saying you can stop faster just isn't as "sellable" in term of performance criteria as saying you can "go faster", even though improving the former will probably make you quicker pound for pound.

NS04
Old 13 January 2006, 11:19 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

The biggest difference I found from going from a Focus RS to a STi uk, was the brakes.
The Focus RS's brakes were just ingredible. 100-0 in 4.1 sec. Same as a Zonda, Porsche Carrera GT etc, and only 0.1 sec worse than a Enzo. They never faded under very hard use. They were just brilliant. The STi's on the other hand are a disapointment, not as much feel, far more brake travel, which feels spongy in comparison, and no way near as good stopping ability. I still at time think when hitting them pretty hard that I won't slow down in time. Could deffo do with better brakes.
Old 13 January 2006, 11:30 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
The biggest difference I found from going from a Focus RS to a STi uk, was the brakes.
The Focus RS's brakes were just ingredible. 100-0 in 4.1 sec. Same as a Zonda, Porsche Carrera GT etc, and only 0.1 sec worse than a Enzo. They never faded under very hard use. They were just brilliant. The STi's on the other hand are a disapointment, not as much feel, far more brake travel, which feels spongy in comparison, and no way near as good stopping ability. I still at time think when hitting them pretty hard that I won't slow down in time. Could deffo do with better brakes.
Having owned a 04 STi for 4 months now, when i get it in, i'm like you dissapointed with the brakes. I find myself shifting down gears to slow the car down it feels. For the amount of go it has, the amount of stop doesn't seem on par. I dont remember that in my happening in my classic though.
Old 13 January 2006, 11:40 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by GazTheHat
Having owned a 04 STi for 4 months now, when i get it in, i'm like you dissapointed with the brakes. I find myself shifting down gears to slow the car down it feels. For the amount of go it has, the amount of stop doesn't seem on par. I dont remember that in my happening in my classic though.
You classic was over 240kgs lighter mate!

I find the brakes on my MY99 fine for the road, but wouldn't rely on them for comitted track work. Some would argue that's too much to expect of any cars brakes though with the exception of exotica or track day specials.

NS04
Old 13 January 2006, 12:21 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

As a project manager I would suggest that one of the first things on your agenda when creating the next generation of a product is to eliminate any issues which have been highlighted on previous iterations.........Should the product not be capable of changing to get rid of this issue the whole concept should be investigated and the brief changed accordingly.

Basically if the product isn't up to the job, or keeps having a weakness highlighted either resolve it or start again........

I'm not suggesting Evo/Subaru start again quite yet but they should be doing something to resolve the issue.
Old 13 January 2006, 12:37 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

As a project manager I would suggest that one of the first things on your agenda when creating the next generation of a product is to eliminate any issues which have been highlighted on previous iterations.........Should the product not be capable of changing to get rid of this issue the whole concept should be investigated and the brief changed accordingly.

Basically if the product isn't up to the job, or keeps having a weakness highlighted either resolve it or start again........

I'm not suggesting Evo/Subaru start again quite yet but they should be doing something to resolve the issue.
While Subaru are at it, they could stick a decent stereo and speakers in it as well.
Old 13 January 2006, 12:56 PM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

i have to agree hence why i have got 2 piece front discs etc for my brakes,i really dont know the answer as the alcon conversion for my p1 was costly very on/off and expensive for pads/discs and squeaked in town no matter which pads were used and i think the standard brembos are better!the only real option i see is for ap 6 pots from when you buy the car and sell the brembos on,subaru suspension as standard needs alot to be desired for and the engine-why couldnt prodrive put out 333 in the first place!but i do like my car honest
martin
Old 13 January 2006, 12:57 PM
DBY
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

GP, I totally agree with you, having has a Subaru & now on an EVO MR the standard brakes are very marginal to say the least. I had a Godspeed front & rear brake kit on the Scoob & have up graded the Pads, lines fluid on the Evo but the disks also need doing. This is also for normal road use both cars, have never been tracked, but get plenty of use around the roads of rural Dorset, both Mitsubishi, & Subaru rearly take the **** IMHO.

John
Old 13 January 2006, 05:04 PM
evonorth
Scooby Regular

Default poor brakes

i own an evo 8 and is runnining at 350 bhp, i totally agree that the brakes are a disgrace on them and the impreza. I also own an astra van and they are a touch sharper, not very good.,Sometimes on tests they say the braking on both cars are brilliant no way, they must up rate them for the car programmes and mags
Old 13 January 2006, 07:40 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Whats this, people agreeing with me for a change Stop it i'll be getting a bad name..........

Gary