Sponsored by:

MOT Rules

Search this Thread

Old 12 January 2006, 09:40 PM
alanjack
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question MOT Rules

When my mot is up at say Jan 31st, what are the rules if I take it to be MOT'd and it fails on say Feb 1st. Can I drive the car away or not?

Also do I need to get it MOT'd before the car is three years old, or is there any lee-way, as I now you can have the test done upto three weeks prior to it being due.

Cheers
Old 12 January 2006, 10:15 PM
T_H_E__c_R_O_W
Scooby Regular

i dont think u can drive it home, u can drive it to another gaurage to get fixed. (just what i think dont tell the police on me if they stop u :P)
Old 12 January 2006, 11:11 PM
Dunk
Scooby Regular

The Crow is wrong, as long as the car is prebooked with garage you can drive it there & back (even if it fails). I'm not aware of any tolerance, if it's due....it's due !

D
Old 12 January 2006, 11:24 PM
T_H_E__c_R_O_W
Scooby Regular

he sounds more positive than me :P id go w his anwser lol
Old 13 January 2006, 08:14 AM
HowiesPreza
Scooby Regular

Location: Whitley Bay the Falaraki of the North! sold CTR bought another scooby, got refund after legal battle

I think if it fails you have 14 days to have it fixed and retested (for free at the same garage). If you have the docs with you if you got pulled i'm sure the nice PC would believe you . Why do you think your car - which is only 3yrs old will fail?
Old 13 January 2006, 08:17 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

the ministry have now withdrawn the 14day "free" re-test obligation although a lot of garages still allow it....................its due to the more rigorous test!!
Old 13 January 2006, 08:18 AM
HowiesPreza
Scooby Regular

Location: Whitley Bay the Falaraki of the North! sold CTR bought another scooby, got refund after legal battle

Originally Posted by stockcar
the ministry have now withdrawn the 14day "free" re-test obligation although a lot of garages still allow it....................its due to the more rigorous test!!
B***ards!
Old 13 January 2006, 08:21 AM
teknobod
Scooby Regular

As Dunk stated you can drive the car to and from a pre-booked MOT even if it fails, unless the tester states on your failure sheet that it is unsafe to drive (stating his reasons on the paperwork) in which case you should not drive it on the road. (You should not drive the car on the road without an MOT (even between re-tests) at any other time because you will get fined should you be pulled)

Some MOT stations may give you a little leeway on bringing the car back for a free retest, but most of the new computerised ones now stick to VOSA's recommendation of 1 working day. (The usual exception is if the car remains with the garage for repair and they would probably not charge a retest fee)

Andy

Last edited by teknobod; 13 January 2006 at 08:24 AM.
Old 13 January 2006, 08:36 AM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

And you can get it done a calendar month before it's due and then have 13 months of MOT, why wait?
Old 13 January 2006, 10:40 AM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

BOB.T is right but you have to take your V5 registration document to prove the date of registration. Just done this myself.
Old 13 January 2006, 11:05 AM
Shark
Scooby Regular

This is not true. I don't know about changes post computerization but before the free retest was entirely the discussion of the garage to offer it.

The rule was that as soon as the vehicle left the station the vehicle would require a full test again. The garages did a 'free' retest by skipping this and just looking at the bits the vehicle failed on. That’s how they could afford to offer a 'free' retest by not doing it.

About 10 years ago the ministry brought out a list of things that could be retested for free, such as bulbs, wiper blades etc.

David
Old 13 January 2006, 11:37 AM
afroking
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by teknobod
Some MOT stations may give you a little leeway on bringing the car back for a free retest, but most of the new computerised ones now stick to VOSA's recommendation of 1 working day. (The usual exception is if the car remains with the garage for repair and they would probably not charge a retest fee)

Andy
Its not a recommendation, its final, the computers wont let you do a retest outside of 24hrs of a working day.
Old 13 January 2006, 06:52 PM
alanjack
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by HowiesPreza
I think if it fails you have 14 days to have it fixed and retested (for free at the same garage). If you have the docs with you if you got pulled i'm sure the nice PC would believe you . Why do you think your car - which is only 3yrs old will fail?

Hopefully it won't fail but I may be travelling a long way so I don't want to be left in the lurch.