New 05 sti or 06 sti

Search this Thread

Old 06 January 2006, 09:02 AM
mulf
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New 05 sti or 06 sti

Dilemma time

I like the new 06 shape and want an STI (with PPP probably)

However, they are doing 0% interest on the 05 2L model over 5 years – very tempting

Read all the specs and stuff but has anyone switched over and can give me a feel for what I would be missing out on, pros and cons of old vs new.

I was also told that the PPP will be out / announced this month for the 06
Old 06 January 2006, 09:06 AM
Dave_68
Scooby Regular

Not driven an 06 but I'd say you need to test drive them both. 05 with 0% over 5 years plus probably some haggling would certainly have an appeal...I've had my 05 STi PPP about 6 weeks now & love it
Old 06 January 2006, 09:32 AM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd have the 06...... it may work out slightly dearer if you need finance, but, if your situation suddenly changes in 6 months time and you need to sell it, the 06 will be worth more...!
Plus, with the 2.5 i'm sure it'd be a better platform to start from should you decide to mod it...
Old 06 January 2006, 09:56 AM
flynnstudio
Scooby Regular

maxpower have a write up of the new 06 STI in this months mag - (I know I know = but hey it had an sti in it!). They raced it around the hills of monaco - gave it a HUGE thumbs up. Their only critique was the fact that the exhaust is now quieter than previous years...

In their 'ratings' system they have the STI as their second all time best car beating just about everything else including clio trophy , 182, golf r32, the EVO!, you name it - the only thing they had higher by a single point was the 350z (and I've driven one of these regularly and I'd have to say GREAT CAR but needs to be mastered without the power robbing 'esp' and is desperate for about 40 more bhp...)
Old 06 January 2006, 10:25 AM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can afford it..... go for the MY06.

Regards,
Shaun.
Old 06 January 2006, 11:49 AM
HOWY
Scooby Regular

Or maybe consider an O6 euro import might be similar price to 05 from UK dealer though you won't be able to put PPP on it without losing warranty.

Originally Posted by mulf
Dilemma time

I like the new 06 shape and want an STI (with PPP probably)

However, they are doing 0% interest on the 05 2L model over 5 years – very tempting

Read all the specs and stuff but has anyone switched over and can give me a feel for what I would be missing out on, pros and cons of old vs new.

I was also told that the PPP will be out / announced this month for the 06
Old 06 January 2006, 07:29 PM
topjimmy
Scooby Regular

I test drove a WR1 (closest thing the dealer had to a 2 litre car with PPP) and 06 STi back to back. I went for the 05 STi with PPP, the reasons being price and I'm not a fan of the new front end. The 2.5 engine is nice and smooth and pulled well from low down, I personally preferred the rawness of the tuned smaller engine. I'm sure the 06 STi with PPP will really be something, you pays your money and takes your choice...
Old 06 January 2006, 09:28 PM
PPPsteveo
Scooby Regular

Can't really judge on the 05 sti-ppp with the dccd, but i've got a 53 plate sti-ppp and i guess it depends on your preferences with driving, spoke to a guy who just test drove a wrx 2.5 who previously had a my00 wr sport and he said it was a different torque band with the bigger engine....have to say it was a big change in driving for me after a normaly aspirated car before the scoob....huge power from 2500 rpm untill about 5500 then ****...you have to change gear fast cos it runs out...relativley speaking of course...not sure if the newun has a bigger spread of torque than a 2.0, but my car with 6 gears and 301 bhp needs working to keep it cooking, maybe the my06 is different.....god i waffle sometimes..