ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disapointed with PACE Radiator

Search this Thread

Old 05 January 2006, 01:08 PM
KEVWRX95
Scooby Regular

Location: West Sussex-Scoob stripped :( Hello Audi A6 4.2V8 Quattro :)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Disapointed with PACE Radiator

I bought a PACE front mount intercooler and radiator set back in November 2003, for my classic.
The other day I realised I had a coolant leak and after much searching and not finding it, I took the radiator off and sent it to a local company to do a leak test.
Well today they told me I had a leak from the core, and offered to repair it for about £300.

Naturally I have phone PACE today and explained that I understand they give a years warranty on their products, but surely a radiator shouldn't give up after two years ?????????????????????

They have said, send it on to them, and they will do their own leak test, then talk to me.As in their words they "Wont walk away from a problem, even though its two years old".

But I think I'm quite justified in asking for a straight replacement aren't I ????
I spent over a £1000 on the parts in 2003.

Has anybody else had a similar problem or with the PACE radiator ?
I've never had any problems up to now engine temps have always been great, so I have no idea why it would start leaking

Kev.
Old 05 January 2006, 01:21 PM
scoobydoo one
Scooby Regular

have heard before about the core breaking down with alot of pace stuff
Old 05 January 2006, 01:31 PM
simo
Scooby Regular

If they are prepared to fix it I don't think that you can grumble tbh. Give them a chance to put it right as it looks as thou they are considering it

Simon
Old 05 January 2006, 01:35 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

totally agree.

don't think you should complain as they can't say fairer than not wanting to walk away from a problem.
Old 05 January 2006, 02:25 PM
KEVWRX95
Scooby Regular

Unhappy PACE

Originally Posted by Adam M
totally agree.

don't think you should complain as they can't say fairer than not wanting to walk away from a problem.
Yes I am a little disapointed, but I'm not complaining yet, I just wanted to know if I was a one off or not ????

If they fix it great !!!!!
But I still had my car off the road for a week, inconvenience,cost with local company, etc etc,
AND the radiator is only two years old, would you be happy with a new scoob £25000 spent and two years later the radiator broke ???????????
I wouldn't,
And I don't know yet IF, PACE are going to fix it free of charge?
I will update as soon as I know..............next week probably.

Kev,
Old 05 January 2006, 05:16 PM
KEVWRX95
Scooby Regular

Question What pressure are you running ?????

Just picked up my radiator from my local company and they asked what pressure I was running at.
Looking at the radiator they showed me how the lines across, that carry the water, were slightly bowed (I think thats the right word).

They said maybe the alloy rad that PACE make can only take a certain amount of pressure, compared to steel ones.

I currently have a Spec R header tank that has a 20psi cap, could this be the problem............................TOOOOOOOOO much pressure for the alloy rad?

What are anyones thoughts on this...........I would of hoped an after market radiator could take this......but maybe not

Kev
Old 06 January 2006, 02:12 PM
KEVWRX95
Scooby Regular

Unhappy Must be just me then

Anybody else out there with the PACE setup????????????????????????????
care to comment

Kev,
Old 06 January 2006, 02:21 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

if in doubt, drop the pressure!

the pace set up was developed on my car. I can't complain about the people or the quality of the work. Top guys and really nice.

But ask them what pressure they rate it to. If it is bowing then clearly your pressure is exceeding its limitations.
Old 06 January 2006, 02:45 PM
KEVWRX95
Scooby Regular

Default MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Adam
My radiator cap is 20 psi as mentioned before,
A lot of scooby owners I know have the STI uprated cap, which is rated at 1.3 bar= 19.11 psi, so we are only talking a very small increase, surely this should not be a factor in my radiator springing a leak ?

As said before I assumed the PACE radiator would be an uprated core capable of taking this sort of pressure...............................as the guys at PACE must of assumed that people buying the kit will be modifying their cars to a higher level of boost and temps ?????

Kev

Last edited by KEVWRX95; 06 January 2006 at 02:48 PM.
Old 06 January 2006, 03:30 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KEVWRX95
I bought a PACE front mount intercooler and radiator set back in November 2003, for my classic.
The other day I realised I had a coolant leak and after much searching and not finding it, I took the radiator off and sent it to a local company to do a leak test.
Well today they told me I had a leak from the core, and offered to repair it for about £300.

Naturally I have phone PACE today and explained that I understand they give a years warranty on their products, but surely a radiator shouldn't give up after two years ?????????????????????

They have said, send it on to them, and they will do their own leak test, then talk to me.As in their words they "Wont walk away from a problem, even though its two years old".

But I think I'm quite justified in asking for a straight replacement aren't I ????
I spent over a £1000 on the parts in 2003.

Has anybody else had a similar problem or with the PACE radiator ?
I've never had any problems up to now engine temps have always been great, so I have no idea why it would start leaking

Kev.
Your contract is with the vendor and not the manufacturer (assuming that they are not on in the same). If the goiods havent proved to be durable (which they havent) then you can seek compensation, usually the cost of repair. I think that it is fair to expect a piece of kit like this to last for over two years, but if they dig their heels in then it would be easier to make a contribution to the repair cost. I dont think that it is reasonable to expect the vendor to replace the kit. If the manufacturer chooses to then thats all well and good but they arent actually obliged to do anything.

Simon
Old 06 January 2006, 04:11 PM
KEVWRX95
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by GC8
Your contract is with the vendor and not the manufacturer (assuming that they are not on in the same). If the goiods havent proved to be durable (which they havent) then you can seek compensation, usually the cost of repair. I think that it is fair to expect a piece of kit like this to last for over two years, but if they dig their heels in then it would be easier to make a contribution to the repair cost. I dont think that it is reasonable to expect the vendor to replace the kit. If the manufacturer chooses to then thats all well and good but they arent actually obliged to do anything.

Simon
Simon
PACE is the manufacturer and the seller, they will phone me Monday for a chat.........................see what happens eh !!!!!!!
Old 06 January 2006, 06:16 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Why is the core leaking, is it due to corrosion or the bowing etc. Or is it a hole due to road debris etc....

If it's the later and not a manufacturing fault then i'd expect PACE to tell you where to go. If not and it is a problem with the kit and they only offered 12 months warranty then again they are more than entitled to say sorry you are 12 months out of warranty. That's why things have a certain warranty on them, if my TV blows up after 24 months i wouldn't expect a new one......

Good luck tho, hope PACE sort it FOC for you.

Tony.
Old 06 January 2006, 08:00 PM
KEVWRX95
Scooby Regular

Unhappy PACE.......................: never again

Originally Posted by Tone Loc
Why is the core leaking, is it due to corrosion or the bowing etc. Or is it a hole due to road debris etc....

If it's the later and not a manufacturing fault then i'd expect PACE to tell you where to go. If not and it is a problem with the kit and they only offered 12 months warranty then again they are more than entitled to say sorry you are 12 months out of warranty. That's why things have a certain warranty on them, if my TV blows up after 24 months i wouldn't expect a new one......

Good luck tho, hope PACE sort it FOC for you.

Tony.
Tony
I dont really know why it is leaking hopefully PACE on Monday will investigate into it and tell me.
I doubt it is due to road debris as it would have to go through my front mount to get to the radiator and my front mount is fine.
I can only ask for a goodwill jesture from them as I'm sure they don't want their products getting a bad name for failing after two years, if that is the case then I obviously will not be buying anything from them ever again.

My original radiator on my scoob was fine when I took it off after eight years to swop it over for this kit, am I being too picky to expect eight years out of a supposedly better product ?

Kev
Old 06 January 2006, 08:43 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Where Pace are the vendor as well as the manufacturer then they are not entitled to 'tell you where to go' after their 12 month warranty period has passed. Their legal obligation to you last for up to six years from purchase in England. Their only defence (assuming it isnt damaged); can be that the kit cant be expected to last for this long; but after two just years, that would be a very foolish position for them to take.

Simon
Old 10 January 2006, 12:44 PM
KEVWRX95
Scooby Regular

Angry Getting fed up

Well radiator was delivered Monday at 1pm,
Had no phonecall Monday,
Have phoned this morning, production manager not around, left mobile number for the third time.............................................. .still nothing, not even a quick two minute call to say we are testing it, and will phone you tomorrow

So my car will carry on sitting in my garage, like it has since last Thursday.

Customer service.........................not impressed
Old 10 January 2006, 12:53 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

running a buisiness takes time, they are probably running a bit behind, in my experiance in dealing with companys they very rarely ring you back anyway.

i would leave it a day or 2 and then chase there *****
Old 11 January 2006, 01:44 AM
KEVWRX95
Scooby Regular

Unhappy What to do ?????????????????????????

Finally I got a phonecall, the production manager called me,
He stated that the bottom run of the radiator that carries the water across had split and he has no idea why
He has offered to weld it up to stop the leak and then return it to me.

However this means the bottom run will be welded all the way across therefore NO water will pass through.
He stated that I would not notice any difference as the other pipes carrying the water across the radiator would keep temps normal.......

Now is he b*llshi**ing me or what

Oh and he wants me to pay £35 for this service,
Anyone have any thoughts on this, is it the best result I can ask for as there is no warranty after two years ?

I have already ordered another front mount...PACE 1 1/2 inches wide...................New one 3 inches wide, so double the width=cooler temps. So I will buy a replacement radiator in the near future and never darken PACE's doorstep again.

Kev
Old 11 January 2006, 12:50 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Id suggest that if he wont repair it correctly; rather than spam it up, that youll take it to be repaired elsewhere and present them with the bill. If you feel unsure of your statutory rights then contact you local Trading Standards dept. at your local authority.

Simon
Old 13 January 2006, 10:11 AM
KEVWRX95
Scooby Regular

Talking Update

Originally Posted by GC8
Id suggest that if he wont repair it correctly; rather than spam it up, that youll take it to be repaired elsewhere and present them with the bill. If you feel unsure of your statutory rights then contact you local Trading Standards dept. at your local authority.

Simon
Cheers for the replies Simon.

A quick update,
I posted up how unhappy I was, so I will always try to be fair to both sides of the problem and I have to say that the final outcome I cannot complain about.
They tested my rad and even after they welded the original split, they found slight other probs with it.
So the manager phoned me Yesterday and informed me they would send out a brand new radiator to me
I still had to pay £35 but hey ho,
They said it was probably a bad batch or something because they have never had a similar failure in such a short period of time.

Anyway I can't ask for more can I, got a new one so it is being delivered today so I can fit it asap.

Kev,