Sponsored by:

WRX03 battery problems again.

Search this Thread

Old 04 January 2006, 05:56 PM
AndyMoody
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question WRX03 battery problems again.

I've read the various threads about the OEM battery being crap mostly on STI's though. Does the WRX have the same battery?

I used my car on Christmas Eve, did about 15 miles in the daytime no lights on but had heater on. Parked car up and went to start it on the following Wedsnesday and it just about fired up. I rang it for a few minutes and revved it a few times. Went to start it on Saturday and it was dead. Had to borrow a battery charger and give it trickle charge for a while before I could start it. I read that the alternator is a 'smart' one and will only charge when drain is being put on the battery. This morning it started although sounded as if it didn't want to for second. I drove to work which is only approx 3 miles away monitoring the voltage as I went. With lights on, heated screen, heater etc the volts were 13 - 14.2, as soon as everything switched off and still driving it goes down to 12 and then starts dropping 11.9........so I turn things back on and back up to 13 - 14.2 etc. Tonight I come out to leave work and it again sounded as if was relunctant to start but did. With lights, heater etc on volts OK.

I looked under the bonnet and of course no info on the battery except Shin-Kobe and a number 55D23L moulded into the top. Date stamp of 240203 so its nearly 3 years old.

Car is a WRX03 only done approx 15K with Clifford alarm and Tracker fitted (not RAC one) so don't think the auto shutdown sleep is the problem. Now do I try to get a replacement under warranty or buy a decent Bosch Silver battery from Costco with 4 year warranty for about £35 and stick that on?

Anyone know the specs of the crap Subaru battery?

Thanks,

Andy.
Old 04 January 2006, 10:55 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

As the replacement battery willl only be warrantied until the expiry date of the original battery, i.e. a few months, I would get a Bosch with its three year warranty.

I have just done this on MY02 WRX. Not being a Costco member, I paid £71.

Be warned that here are two identical batteries with the terminals reversed, make sure you get the right one. PS the Bosch is 60Ah cf 48Ah for the original so should last longer before going flat.

HTH.
Old 05 January 2006, 07:55 AM
AndyMoody
Scooby Regular

Can you tell me which Bosch battery I need? I asked Costco who said only the Legacy was listed. Bosch site tells you nothing and they had a Asia Silver battery which had Impreza as a fitment listing on the label. Looking at what info I can find on another overseas Bosch site the dimensions are bigger than my OEM fit battery.

Andy.
Old 05 January 2006, 12:02 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The standard battery is 48Ahr, the dealer replacement is 60Ahr Better, but not perfect! I often use a "smart" trickle charger (AccuMate) if the car is not to be used for a few days.
JohnD
Old 05 January 2006, 12:20 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Always leave the sidelights on, day or night (they go off when the ignition is off so no worries about them being on even when not driven) as this will give the current draw required to trick the smart alternator into charging.
Old 05 January 2006, 12:48 PM
ricardo
Scooby Regular

Or just having the fan on the lowest setting (never completely off) should do the trick. I was certainly worried about the duff battery issue the other day, especially since I have the TrackStar, but it was absolutely fine after 2 weeks unused and starting at -5 Celsius.
Old 05 January 2006, 01:07 PM
AndyMoody
Scooby Regular

I called Bosch today as Costco don't have any Subaru's apart from a Legacy in the catalogue. Bosch confirmed the model number should be 6EA or possibily a 6DA. Costco don't stock the 6EA and cannot order so they reckon. Next step in Scooby dealer now I know they replace it with a 60aH jobbie.

Thanks,

Andy.

Trending Topics

Old 07 January 2006, 12:21 AM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Be patient

The battery you need is the 6DA Asia Silver 12v 60Ah 420A.
Part number 560 162 042 which actually says on it in incredibly small print "compatible with 55D23L".

As you look from the front of the car, the terminals are to the rear of the battery with positive on the left hand side. The similar battery you don't want is 560 163 042.

Approximate dimensions, 235mm wide, 175mm deep, and 200mm high. I got the impression that it was slightly narrower than the OEM, but there is very little clearance now it's installed, so I guess not.

I would allow 1/2 hour to fit due to difficult access, and having to re-tune the radio and set the clock.

Good luck.
Old 07 January 2006, 01:04 PM
AndyMoody
Scooby Regular

I've fitted a Bosch 6DA this morning after buying it from Costco yesterday for £36.41 inc VAT. Has 55D23L on the label as well as Subaru Impreza. As my car is a Euro import from Holland I contacted my 'not so local' dealer about a warranty replacement. Firstly they said my chassis number is not reg'd with Subaru UK although I have a letter from them clearing saying it is. After another call to Subaru UK and dealer again my car now can be found on the dealers database. They say I need to drive to them which is about 28 miles away to check battery, if duff they will put claim into Holland and wait for OK, if OK I then go back again for new battery fiiting. I decided that nearly 120 miles of petrol etc and time wasn't worth all the hassle. Knowing my luck they would say nowt wrong with it and I'd had been to them for nothing and still in my opinion got a duff battery.

Anyway Bosch 6DA went on in about 20 mins and everything is OK. Had to do clock, radio etc and now it starts instantly. Before I noticed it would turn over for a second or two and the LCD temp gauge/miles display would dim, now I get none of that and it is instant start. BTW dealer said they fit Varta 60aH battery supplied by Subaru UK which I found out that Varta are 20% owned by Robert Bosch and have same address. Draw your own conclusions to that!

Andy.
Old 07 January 2006, 08:59 PM
ODB
Scooby Regular

Well I went out to my 2 month old 05 WRX 300 this morning for a trip into town and then a spin only to find it completley dead. A phone call to Subaru Assistance and an hour later the technician shows up.

Turns out its the alternator is faulty and not recharging my battery during each run, so it was only a matter of time before the battery went dead. Apparently its known fault to Subaru Assistance so if anyone else gets a flat battery try checking the alternator. A slight side note is that apparently if you have your side lights on it helps to kick the alternator into life. Anyway mine's got to go back to get a new one fitted.

I suppose it least its not the Tracker.
Old 07 January 2006, 09:31 PM
AndyMoody
Scooby Regular

Alternator only charges when a drain is on the battery eg lights on or heated rear screen. Might not be faulty just the 'smart' alternator doing its correct job. My car is much improved when I turn the key since new battery this morning.

Andy.
Old 08 January 2006, 08:21 PM
ODB
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AndyMoody
Alternator only charges when a drain is on the battery eg lights on or heated rear screen. Might not be faulty just the 'smart' alternator doing its correct job. My car is much improved when I turn the key since new battery this morning.

Andy.
I am only repeating what the technician told me. The battery checked out fine with a battery test while the alternator wasn't recharging the battery at all (he showed me with his volt meter). The end result is that the battery was being drained every time you started the car but not being recharged by the alternator resulting in a dead car. He did say it was a farily common problem that he gets called out for (He siad its one of the top three callouts he gets, the others being Radio Transmitter interfernce on the Remote Locking and rather worryingly owners not knowing about the Immobiliser cutting in after 30 seconds after the car is unlocked).
Old 08 January 2006, 08:24 PM
AndyMoody
Scooby Regular

Sure dealer will do some more tests before doing any work.

Andy.
Old 08 January 2006, 08:43 PM
cat7
Scooby Regular

Default my experience is its tracker

I've read the various threads about the OEM battery being crap mostly on STI's though. Does the WRX have the same battery?

I used my car on Christmas Eve, did about 15 miles in the daytime no lights on but had heater on. Parked car up and went to start it on the following Wedsnesday and it just about fired up. I rang it for a few minutes and revved it a few times. Went to start it on Saturday and it was dead. Had to borrow a battery charger and give it trickle charge for a while before I could start it. I read that the alternator is a 'smart' one and will only charge when drain is being put on the battery. This morning it started although sounded as if it didn't want to for second. I drove to work which is only approx 3 miles away monitoring the voltage as I went. With lights on, heated screen, heater etc the volts were 13 - 14.2, as soon as everything switched off and still driving it goes down to 12 and then starts dropping 11.9........so I turn things back on and back up to 13 - 14.2 etc. Tonight I come out to leave work and it again sounded as if was relunctant to start but did. With lights, heater etc on volts OK.

I looked under the bonnet and of course no info on the battery except Shin-Kobe and a number 55D23L moulded into the top. Date stamp of 240203 so its nearly 3 years old.

Car is a WRX03 only done approx 15K with Clifford alarm and Tracker fitted (not RAC one) so don't think the auto shutdown sleep is the problem. Now do I try to get a replacement under warranty or buy a decent Bosch Silver battery from Costco with 4 year warranty for about £35 and stick that on?

Anyone know the specs of the crap Subaru battery?

Thanks,

Andy.
had no tracker in the 1st year as insurance were not bothered and all ok. Renewal needed tracker following fitting if the car is left for more then about 5-7 days without use can be dead, never had this before tracker.
Old 09 January 2006, 12:08 AM
hades
Scooby Regular

at £71 for the Bosch, IMHO you'd be better off with the Halfords heavy duty Calcium one (65Ah, 510A, 4 year warranty so better in all 3 areas than the Bosch) at £55 for the moment - presently 20% off. My battery on 02WRX has recently got somewhat useless, and I went with this option.

If you could get £36 costco price, the Bosch comes back into favour!
Old 09 January 2006, 01:06 PM
AndyMoody
Scooby Regular

Sure my Bosch had 4 year warranty too.

Andy.
Old 12 January 2006, 09:25 PM
ODB
Scooby Regular

And again its happened. I left the car garaged for two days only to find it flat again. Its going into the dealer tomorrow and its not coming back till its fixed. Impressive for a two month old car..........not!

Subaru's aren't supposed to do this.
Old 12 January 2006, 09:58 PM
AndyMoody
Scooby Regular

Bet they fit a new battery. Nearly a week now since changing mine and it starts instantly every time I turn the key.

Andy.
Old 14 January 2006, 05:44 PM
ODB
Scooby Regular

Bet they fit a new battery.
Andy.
Our survey says..............

Well its back from the dealer with a new battery, a duff cell apparently. Not sure I beleive their story, still only time will tell if its fixed or not. So if you see a WRX 300 with a flat battery in Kent it will be me.
Old 14 January 2006, 08:39 PM
tait33
Scooby Newbie

My MY03 WRX Euro import had a battery problem I took it to my local VERY unhelpfull Subaru dealer in penicuik and they said they could'nt find the chassis number on their computer Even though i had a letter from IM to prove it,

After one phone call to IM spoke to peter and he confirmed it was definately on the system for cross border warranty so i called my local dealer and informed him, BINGO he found my chassis number on the system so he put a claim into BENELUX 3 weeks later i got a phone call from the dealer saying benelux has approved your warranty claim so i went up and had the battery fitted , The guy that came out to fit the battery totally unprofessional he threw the battery clamp on top of the intercooler bending the finns also went to open my car door with his fingers covered in battery acid thats where i stepped in and stopped him.