JDM Twin turbo EJ20 !?!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 31 December 2005, 12:46 AM
White-Un
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JDM Twin turbo EJ20 !?!?!?!?

Hi guys found this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUBAR...25052178QQrdZ1

Didn't think subaru did a standard twin turbo engine ? Whats that out of ??

White-un

Last edited by White-Un; 31 December 2005 at 12:56 AM.
Old 31 December 2005, 12:48 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Legacy B4 RSK off the top of my head

Tony
Old 31 December 2005, 12:58 AM
White-Un
Scooby Regular

aaahh never thought of that. Anyone tried puttin one in a impreza ??
Old 31 December 2005, 01:00 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

No real need and probably not enough room in the engine bay for the 2nd turbo
Most cars will run just as good, if not better on 1 turbo, the RSK would spool up on a TD04 then change to a TD05 (i think) at the higher revs, though you would have to ask a B4 owner how smooth it is.

Tony
Old 31 December 2005, 01:31 AM
robsw
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
No real need and probably not enough room in the engine bay for the 2nd turbo
Most cars will run just as good, if not better on 1 turbo, the RSK would spool up on a TD04 then change to a TD05 (i think) at the higher revs, though you would have to ask a B4 owner how smooth it is.

Tony
Skyline GTR??

The idea of two is that the smaller one spools up earlier overcoming the lag of the bigger turbo that comes horsing in later. The result is faster acceleration is achievable.

Bear in mind the likes of the Legacy and Skyline are both heavier cars, and suffer from lag more with a big turbo, whereas a small turbo would not be man enough for top end power. The Impreza is smaller lighter and so a single turbo suits better. Also bear in mind that a capable twin turbo engine is tuneable to over 1000hp, the Impreza engine is not, nor is the car suited for such power. Its a rally car not a race car!

Therefore there is not much point in trying to squeese the EJ20TT in, as the single turbo is ample for the application. Unless you want to do it for the shear hell and fun of it, then go go go for it!!!

Turn an Impreza in to a dragstrip monster if you can!!!
Old 31 December 2005, 09:44 AM
Dspeed
Scooby Regular

Ne body heard nemore about the twin turbo and supercharged one from the states?
Old 31 December 2005, 10:18 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

'Its a rally car not a race car!'

Please explain the difference between race car and a rally car? I'm not saying that the road going impreza is a rally car (because it most certainly isn't), but i'm sure that rallying is a form of racing!
Old 31 December 2005, 10:56 AM
VWscooby
Scooby Regular

Rally cars tend to make more tourque than power - race engines the opposite.
Old 31 December 2005, 11:14 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

There are 2 different reasons for using a twin turbo set up. The Legacy's use sequential turbos, i.e. a small one that makes boost quickly which then switches over to a large one for top end boost. The GTR's just use 2 medium (identically sized) turbos that work in tandem at all times.
Old 31 December 2005, 11:15 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by robsw
Skyline GTR??

The idea of two is that the smaller one spools up earlier overcoming the lag of the bigger turbo that comes horsing in later. The result is faster acceleration is achievable.
The skyline GTR has 2 banks of 3, ie its a 6 cylnder engine, so it has a turbo for each bank, not quite the same as the 4 cylnder subaru engine

Tony
Old 31 December 2005, 03:56 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Legacy B4 RSK off the top of my head

Tony
Correct Legacys after seires 2 had twin turbo engines. They have smaller turbo for low down and a larger turbo for high end grunt. I've not driven one but there's supposed to a bit of a gap between the turbos known as the Valley of death where neither turbo is boosting It can be quite scarey from what I've read.
Old 31 December 2005, 04:24 PM
robsw
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100
'Its a rally car not a race car!'

Please explain the difference between race car and a rally car? I'm not saying that the road going impreza is a rally car (because it most certainly isn't), but i'm sure that rallying is a form of racing!
Sorry, I may be wrong but I was under the impression that the Impreza was built for the WRC, and the Skyline was originally built for a popular tarmac type of race famous in Japan
Old 31 December 2005, 04:30 PM
robsw
Scooby Regular

The skyline GTR has 2 banks of 3, ie its a 6 cylnder engine, so it has a turbo for each bank, not quite the same as the 4 cylnder subaru engine

Tony
Has anyone ever set up an EJ20 in an Impreza in this configuration? ie two turbos, one per head (one per bank of 2).

I'm sure I've seen pics of an Impreza with 2 exhausts at the back in V8 style, could this have been the result of such a project?
Old 31 December 2005, 05:27 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Wink

Has anyone ever set up an EJ20 in an Impreza in this configuration? ie two turbos, one per head (one per bank of 2).

I'm sure I've seen pics of an Impreza with 2 exhausts at the back in V8 style, could this have been the result of such a project?
Id think you would have to overcome alot of problems, the advantage of v6's/straight 6's is that you have 2 different exhaust manifolds (1 for each bank) going into 1, with more room, in a 4 cyl engine, you just have the one manifold for all 4.
1 turbo is sufficient to provide enough power to keep a scoob engine going

Tony
Old 31 December 2005, 05:30 PM
robsw
Scooby Regular

Id think you would have to overcome alot of problems, the advantage of v6's/straight 6's is that you have 2 different exhaust manifolds (1 for each bank) going into 1, with more room, in a 4 cyl engine, you just have the one manifold for all 4.
1 turbo is sufficient to provide enough power to keep a scoob engine going

Tony
Thanks Tony!
Old 31 December 2005, 07:18 PM
clarence
Scooby Regular

Sorry, I may be wrong but I was under the impression that the Impreza was built for the WRC, and the Skyline was originally built for a popular tarmac type of race famous in Japan
Both the Impreza & the R32 Skyline GT-R were built for Group A homologation purposes, but the Impreza was for Rallying whereas the GT-R was for the Japanese Touring Car Championship.
Interesting to note that a few Japanese cars switched from twin sequential turbos to single turbo as generations passed by. The Toyota 1JZ-GTE (fitted to the Mark II/Chaser/Soarer/Supra etc.) & Subaru EJ20 (current Legacy has a single twin-scroll turbo) are examples.
Old 31 December 2005, 08:05 PM
flat4_ire
Scooby Regular

factory fitted yeah, any of the boys with gtr's and twin turbo supras all go to singles when they want big power, IE:500bhp plus, singles are the way to go T78/T88
Old 31 December 2005, 08:39 PM
WRC STYL
Scooby Newbie

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TWIN-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 01 January 2006, 02:09 PM
FASTER MIKE!!
Scooby Regular

think there was a conversion in oz that was a twin set up in a classic impreza that used a tmic that was sort of curvered shaped asuming one side for each turbo.

mike
Old 01 January 2006, 02:37 PM
Lum
Scooby Regular

I own a Legacy B4 RSK and the valley of death isn't as bad as they make out. The torque drops a bit, but the actual power output remains flat for a moment.

In effect what you get if you put your foot down from a standstill is the first turbo kicks in pretty much instantly pulling much faster than many more expensive cars, then just as you're thinking this is all you're going to get and that faster car is going to catch you up any second, the second one kicks in and away you go again.

It's absolutely hilarious to drive, and despite all the problems I've had with it (engine detted, holed piston, killed bores, new engine £2000) I still love the car and get a big grin on my face every time I do that.

The thing you have to remember though is the larger of the two turbos is still smaller than an STI one, so at the top end the STI will most likely still win, but on UK roads these days who needs top end unless you also have false plates?

Also, aren't the Skyline twin-turbos a completely different setup, ie they have two identical turbos in parallel, with each one providing boost to half of the cylinders.

I would be wary about a twin-turbo engine being sold in the USA though. They are set up differently to the impreza engine and more prone to det if run on ****ty fuel such as all grades of fuel sold in the USA. It's definately one for optimax and booster IMO.

Much more info to be had on The UK Legacy forums though.