ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

What are they for??

Search this Thread

Old 20 December 2005, 11:30 PM
ynaseem
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are they for??

I have a 98 facelift classic, just wondered if anyone knew if the two grills on the bonnet served any purpose, they cant be for cooling as they are blocked with covers underneath.

I thought about removing the covers to help cooling but that means water would get in the engine?

Does anyone know???
Old 21 December 2005, 12:05 AM
Attu
Scooby Regular

I think it was for homologation reasons on the Rally cars or it could even be that because the Rally cars had them they put them on the road cars to make them look the same but im sure it was for homologation.
Old 21 December 2005, 08:04 AM
wide
Scooby Regular

Anybody got a meaning of homologation?
Old 21 December 2005, 08:42 AM
LEE-WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wide
Anybody got a meaning of homologation?

basically, they cant use them on the rally car if they are not on the road car, has to be similar to the road going version to be allowed to use it as a rally car.
Old 21 December 2005, 08:47 AM
LEE-WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ynaseem
I have a 98 facelift classic, just wondered if anyone knew if the two grills on the bonnet served any purpose, they cant be for cooling as they are blocked with covers underneath.

I thought about removing the covers to help cooling but that means water would get in the engine?

Does anyone know???

you could replace the drivers side grill with an air scoop, which will help with cooling, especially if youve got an induction kit, but wont let the water in.
Old 21 December 2005, 09:02 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

And water on the engine wont harm it, my old MK2 MR2 had huge vents over the engine which would flood with water when washing it, but it never caused any problems.
Old 21 December 2005, 09:32 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

Definitely are for homologation - read an article a while ago where it mentioned why they were on the rally car, and that the road car just had them as cosmetics to conform to the rules.

Have also been told by some people that they remove the blanking plates underneath them in the summer to give the engine a bit more cooling, not sure how much difference it makes, but it shouldnt hurt as long as it doesnt bucket down.
Old 21 December 2005, 09:52 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Have read on here that if you remove the blanking plates so letting air in, that it creates turblence for air going over the top mount so therefore the top mount wont work as effectively. I was going to remove mine until I read that. If you think about it, if it is safe to do so, then why did subaru go to the trouble of making blanking plates to block them off?
I know they are unblocked on a rally car, but how long is an engine used for on one? Probably one event, maybe less?
Old 21 December 2005, 11:11 AM
ryn004
Scooby Regular

Yeah the small side vents are fake. But If you shop around you can find inserts such as below: