Sponsored by:

Type R buying questions

Search this Thread

Old 19 December 2005, 05:04 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Type R buying questions

Went to view a Type R today, think it was a v3.

One question I was going to ask was when the diff is on lock and turning in tight spaces should it vibrate when moving. After doing a search on here its apparently normal and really should be moved to open when tight turning or reverse parking.

However, is it safe to alter the diff setting with the car in motion? The owner said he'd been told to move it only with the car stationary. I put it on lock thinking this would be safer as I didn't fancy going sideways in the wet in someone elses car. Sorry if all this sounds like a noob but I have never driven an R before.

The transmission did seem quite loud though compared to my UK car. Drove OK etc but just seemed louder - is this normal?

My 2nd question is should it not feel loads faster than my UK turbo (TEK2, decat, panel - 250hp-ish). Pulled cleanly but wasn't the pin you in the seat feeling I was expecting and not that much if any over my car. I've accelerated in close proximity to an 03STI and a P1 and the P1 wasted both of us - thought all Type Rs would do the same. I put this down to the maybe the car needed mapping or something.

Other than that was a lovely car and the bodywork was tidier than my MY00. Might sound like a weak argument but I prefer the new style dash and theres always the worry with buying an import (Had a hard time with the last import I bought Nissan GTIR)

Haven't ruled it out as a possible purchase but the performance was a little disappointing.

Any advice appreciated.
Old 19 December 2005, 05:26 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is designed to be adjusted 'on the fly'. You should never really need more than the first orange for road use, and the the more you lock the diff

-the more it will understeer

-it will clatter and bang under heavy acceleration and particularly deceleration

-it will become far less manoevreable, as the wheels are, in effect, locked to each other.

If you are driving with anything other than a fully open diff and need to manouvre, eg to park, lift the handbrake slightly and this will temporarily release the diff.

Due to the shorter gearing of the Type R it should feel quite a bit quicker than your UK car. Is it an STi or a WRX Type R?
Old 19 December 2005, 05:34 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

My 2nd question is should it not feel loads faster than my UK turbo
Yes!

I have a v3 type R and it's acceleration is superb and it's completely standard, it's quite addictive (I've had a scooby ecu'd, de-catted, hks filtered classic WRX and it's much faster than that) I've had lots of Jap stuff (inc two 350bhp evo's this year) and the acceleration of the type R is still impressive to me.

Did the car have a boost gauge?

When I got my car it wasn't running great (lambda sensor shagged, inlet pipe split) but parts replaced and it's running well and it goes great. I'd imagine with a de-cat system and a remap it'd be a quick road car.

Also, it may be worth trying the car in diff open. I run mine fully open all the time (occasionally 1 notch forward) it can be a bit handy in the wet like this though
Old 19 December 2005, 05:38 PM
leonpoole
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EddScott
Went to view a Type R today, think it was a v3.

One question I was going to ask was when the diff is on lock and turning in tight spaces should it vibrate when moving. After doing a search on here its apparently normal and really should be moved to open when tight turning or reverse parking.

However, is it safe to alter the diff setting with the car in motion? The owner said he'd been told to move it only with the car stationary. I put it on lock thinking this would be safer as I didn't fancy going sideways in the wet in someone elses car. Sorry if all this sounds like a noob but I have never driven an R before.

The transmission did seem quite loud though compared to my UK car. Drove OK etc but just seemed louder - is this normal?

My 2nd question is should it not feel loads faster than my UK turbo (TEK2, decat, panel - 250hp-ish). Pulled cleanly but wasn't the pin you in the seat feeling I was expecting and not that much if any over my car. I've accelerated in close proximity to an 03STI and a P1 and the P1 wasted both of us - thought all Type Rs would do the same. I put this down to the maybe the car needed mapping or something.

Other than that was a lovely car and the bodywork was tidier than my MY00. Might sound like a weak argument but I prefer the new style dash and theres always the worry with buying an import (Had a hard time with the last import I bought Nissan GTIR)

Haven't ruled it out as a possible purchase but the performance was a little disappointing.

Any advice appreciated.
Have you seen this thread ? It explains all about the DCCD
Old 19 December 2005, 05:48 PM
RAF1
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi mate,
it should feel considerably quicker than your uk.. the power picks up quickly at around 3000rpm...
personally i would say (depending on your budget) go for a newer model V4 or V5 - better looks externally and a LOT nice Interior/Dash etc...

The transmission will probably sound louder than your UK also the rear is louder.. just make sure there's no fault with humming rear wheel bearings which are a pain when you're doing motorway speeds..

Raf.
p.s. would not worry about buying an import (alternative is buying a P1) there are many that have been imported new - so been in the uk 5/6 years and have checkable history just like uk cars.
Old 19 December 2005, 06:47 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

The locked diff would explain the fidgeting when I turned it round for the return journey. I was just worried about having it all the way open and the talk on SN about Type Rs being a bit twitchy in the wet. Just didn't fancy losing the back end in someone elses car!

The transmission didn't clatter or making specific noises just seemed lourder all over than my transmission. If anything the engine noises sounded quieter than mine. It ran smoothly and ticked over without an issue just no rush of power I was expecting. The DV was aftermarket and sounded strange so maybe it was leaking.

If I'd have had more time I would have done a back to back with mine with the owner so we could both judge. If its still there in the new year might go back and see if we can't investigate a little more. Its got the red top manifold, no idea of turbo but apart from what looks like an H&S box its standard.

It has 22b parts (wing, bumper, vents) and certainly looks the part. It came in originally with Calder cars by what I could tell from the paperwork and has done about 8K since being here in 03/04 from what I could tell.

Last edited by EddScott; 19 December 2005 at 06:57 PM.