Sponsored by:

Winter and Short usage

Search this Thread

Old 17 December 2005, 09:16 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Winter and Short usage

Over the Xmas period I'm using my Scooby daily but only for about 2 miles tiwce a day. The car obviuly doesn't warm up and i keep the revs as low as possible, this will continue for about 3 weeks.. is this going to harm it ?

Battery? etc
Old 17 December 2005, 06:33 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd imagine the battery would be hard pushed to recharge what is looses starting, especially if you have fan and rear demist on too.

Also, the exhaust won't have timne to warm up so there will be more chance of corrosion (whether this will make much difference over a couple of weeks is anyone's guess).

Can't you go for a burn once a day?
Old 17 December 2005, 07:16 PM
iainmac
Scooby Newbie

None of the oils are going to get anywhere near optimum temp, so they are going to collect condesation and other crap that normally gets evapourated, also as its going to still be pretty cold I would imagine engine wear wont be at best either, mite be worth dropping the oil for a low viscosity full ester synth (motul, silkoline?) before and after the short use period.. I'd personally take the long way round (ie make it a least half hour each way) to get fluids at leasts approaching operating temps.
PS Oil take ages to warm up, just cos the water temp is half way doesnt mean the oil is at a similar state.
Old 17 December 2005, 07:46 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a good excuse to leave work early and go the long way home to me......
Old 18 December 2005, 07:53 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Problem is I work nights, and thus am totally drained after work and have so much to do before! Its a *******. I'm off for the only night til Xmas day tonight, so I'll run it down the motorway for a good distance, hopefully clean it out.
Old 18 December 2005, 10:17 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Oh for god sake, please don't listen to the above. Just make sure you have an oil grade of no higher than 5-10/40, don't revs the b*llocks off it, drive normally and you'll be fine. As you suggested, a good run once a week won't do any harm, plus its an excuse to have a bit of fun!
These cars ARE reliable if treated properly. I wouldn't worry about the battery either.
Old 18 December 2005, 08:31 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100
Oh for god sake, please don't listen to the above. Just make sure you have an oil grade of no higher than 5-10/40, don't revs the b*llocks off it, drive normally and you'll be fine. As you suggested, a good run once a week won't do any harm, plus its an excuse to have a bit of fun!
These cars ARE reliable if treated properly. I wouldn't worry about the battery either.
Exactly. Its a car. Not a museum piece. Not perfect conditions you're using it in but over such a short period of time it will cause no undue wear. Just drive it as normal.
Old 18 December 2005, 08:41 PM
Wannabe
Scooby Regular

i agree. wouldnt catch me changing my oil for the sake of not using my car much for a week or so.

in my days off work i dont use my car much but i just take my time it seems to run ok...like u say just take ur time until it warms up .

ive noticed a drop in my MPG with the cold weather. had to fill my 03 STi up today after only covering 180 miles and that wasnt thrashing it either!!!

Sy
Old 19 December 2005, 02:10 AM
Ru55e11
Scooby Regular

Twice a day, six days a week my scoob gets started from cold for a 3 mile journey to/from work. This is my normal usage. She gets a good thrap a couple of evenings a week and at weekends however.

I just keep it under 3k until warm. The short journeys mixed with the cold weather seem to be the biggest detriment to decent fuel economy as the auto-choke is always on.

<Russ>
Old 19 December 2005, 04:32 AM
robsw
Scooby Regular

Driving on choke all the time would eventually wear the bores, but over a very long period I would imagine, a few weeks won't cause you any probs at all.

I only drive about 2/3 miles to work in a max. speed limit of 40, and 1/2 of my journey has speed humps along it, so I havn't got much other choice than to drive it carefully. I'm more concerned about the wear caused by the speed humps rather than my engine.

A good rule is, wether you drive for long or short, is not to drive on boost untill the engine is up to full operating temp. This probably takes 15/20 mins depending on ambient temp.
Old 19 December 2005, 11:53 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by robsw

A good rule is, wether you drive for long or short, is not to drive on boost untill the engine is up to full operating temp. This probably takes 15/20 mins depending on ambient temp.
I'd say that was the golden rule.

Top quality oil (of the right grade), good petrol, properly serviced and driven with mechanical sympathy will see your car all right year round!

Ns04
Old 19 December 2005, 12:33 PM
DonnieDarko
Scooby Regular

engine wear - negligable.

a longer journey at the weekend should charge the battery enough to keep you topped up.
Old 19 December 2005, 05:13 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Well I've owned my car for 3+ years and I drive about 3 miles to work. I just drive it sensibly and don't boot it over 3K.

I've got oil temp and in these conditions it doesn't get up to operating temp at all.

If its serviced properly and driven sensibly then if it does break it then IMHO Subaru are selling carp cars. I've always said if my car ever let go under normal driving conditions without a bloody good reason then it would be sold as soon as mended.
Old 19 December 2005, 05:19 PM
Scoobedoo
Scooby Regular

as long as you adhere to the regular service intervals e.g. change oil regularly if using for short journeys as stated in the manual you'll be fine.
Old 19 December 2005, 08:12 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Ok thanks, its been servered every 3000 miles due to time rather than milage and I kept it below 2k til warm.. Notice a few mentioned 3k ? Which is best then? I know obviously 2k will make it last longer and use less fuel but I dont want to be missing the power when I dont have to!
Old 19 December 2005, 08:25 PM
Scoobedoo
Scooby Regular

give it a good burn round the prom when you get home from work, that'll equalise eveything

I change oil every 6 months or 5k miles, which every comes first. Been spot on so far.
Old 19 December 2005, 08:36 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
Ok thanks, its been servered every 3000 miles due to time rather than milage and I kept it below 2k til warm.. Notice a few mentioned 3k ? Which is best then? I know obviously 2k will make it last longer and use less fuel but I dont want to be missing the power when I dont have to!
You don't need to worry so much. 2k or 3k you'll be fine. Impreza engines are no different to any other turbo engine. Warm it up before giving it stick and cool it down afterwards. The end