ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Be careful out there people!

Search this Thread

Old 15 December 2005, 02:49 PM
New_scooby_04

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Be careful out there people!

I set out for home this morning after staying the night at a friends. Upon leaving the house at about 7:50 am I remember noting that there was none of that freezing fog that we've had quite a lot of recently and that the roads were dry and the temperature was actually quite mild. I set off -nursing the car through the warm up period- as I always do.

About 30 seconds into my journey I encounter a small roundabout that requires a sharp turn (almost 180 degrees for the desired exit) I took it very slowly (about 5-8mph) in 2nd and touched -and I do mean touched- the throttle and

WOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAA! Tail out action!!! Quick, get that opposite lock applied...phew, caught it....now just aim for the any exit....ah, the one I came from, it's not the one I wanted, but that'll do with any luck people might think I did it deliberately to show off!! I have to admit it caught me completely by surprise, I'd got used to coming home in visually, at least, much worse conditions with no loss of traction. I was also nursing the car and driving like a granny at the time at very low speeds. The car was fine, and is running new Eagle F1s (they've been bedded in) and there was no provocation on my part. I suspect the culprit must have been the dreaded black ice.

Here's the moral of this story: We're always on about how secure a scooby is -rightly so- but if I'd not have been going carefully at the time then I would have been reduced to a passenger and all the AWD, fancy tyres and diffs and opposite lock in the world wouldn't have saved me from facing a big bill!!

PLEASE, PLEASE don't get complacent in this weather or over-estimate your car's ability to deal with ice.

At the end of the day there is no substitute for just simply taking it easy in the winter.

I'd also recommend finding an empty car park if we get any snow anytime soon and learning how your car behaves in treacherous conditions and how to recover it when it lets go......you never know when it might come in handy. Looking back, I realised that I reacted instinctively today, had I paused for thought or just held my breath and hoped for the best........

Take care everyone!

NS04
Old 15 December 2005, 02:54 PM
King RA
BANNED

Wow, your warning people to be aware of slippery roads in the winter, the goverment should give you a job..
Old 15 December 2005, 03:01 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by King RA
Wow, your warning people to be aware of slippery roads in the winter, the goverment should give you a job..
Medals in the post please!!

It's not like I didn't already know that you have to drive gently in Winter, as I said, I was! What suprised me was just how deceptive the conditions were and that it took very little speed and no provocation to get the car unsettled.

The point is that its easy to underestimate just how careful you need to be. Like I said, the conditions seemed very good this morning and I was going very carefuly and still this happened.

Ignore this is you will, but a gentle kick in the complacency is better than gettting a boot up the *** from the insurance company!!

NS04
Old 15 December 2005, 03:10 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
this is you will, but a gentle kick in the complacency is better than gettting a boot up the *** from the insurance company!!

NS04
Old 15 December 2005, 03:13 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

I agree NS04, i had a rather unexpected understeer moment on a road i use almost every day - but interestingly i swapped my eagle F1's [on the front] and put Bridgestone pozanzas on instead which are much better for 'off' weather. The flat grip on the EF1 i found wasn't helping on gritted or leafy roads in normal driving - but the poorer dry weather Bridgestones are much improved in 'off' weather offering excellent grip.
Old 15 December 2005, 03:19 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wet leaves are as bad this time of year.
Old 15 December 2005, 03:20 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

<yawn!!!>

winter tyres!

</yawn!!!>

when will you people learn???

Trending Topics

Old 15 December 2005, 03:24 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Wurzel
<yawn!!!>

winter tyres!

</yawn!!!>

when will you people learn???
Xmas is an expensive time of year for some of us poor folk you know, esp when you've just paid out £320 on Eagle F1s

BTW for the record, I find the Eagles to be generally excellent.

NS04
Old 15 December 2005, 04:47 PM
King RA
BANNED

Medals in the post please!!

It's not like I didn't already know that you have to drive gently in Winter, as I said, I was! What suprised me was just how deceptive the conditions were and that it took very little speed and no provocation to get the car unsettled.

The point is that its easy to underestimate just how careful you need to be. Like I said, the conditions seemed very good this morning and I was going very carefuly and still this happened.

Ignore this is you will, but a gentle kick in the complacency is better than gettting a boot up the *** from the insurance company!!

NS04
I don't drive
Old 15 December 2005, 05:25 PM
DonnieDarko
Scooby Regular

^^ then tell Jeeves to be careful driving you around then.
Old 15 December 2005, 07:28 PM
King RA
BANNED

hehe, jenkins actually
Old 16 December 2005, 09:17 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Xmas is an expensive time of year for some of us poor folk you know, esp when you've just paid out £320 on Eagle F1s

BTW for the record, I find the Eagles to be generally excellent.

NS04
I know exactly how you feel!!! I reckon getting across the channel either over it or under it must be the most expensive stretch of water in the world.

Last edited by Wurzel; 16 December 2005 at 09:22 AM.
Old 16 December 2005, 09:51 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

He he, some scrapper has dropped a load of diesel at the junction by where I work.

You can spot the people who can't drive a mile off...they'll be wheelspinning like crazy trying to pull away, or doing kangaroo impressions as the traction control has a hissy fit

When will people learn about throttle and clutch control?
Old 16 December 2005, 12:28 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by ALi-B
He he, some scrapper has dropped a load of diesel at the junction by where I work.

You can spot the people who can't drive a mile off...they'll be wheelspinning like crazy trying to pull away, or doing kangaroo impressions as the traction control has a hissy fit

When will people learn about throttle and clutch control?
It's just amazing the number of people who don't drive with any regard for the conditions whatsoever! I recall a couple of occassions in freezing fog where I had people tailgating, pulling out in front of people, doing stupid overtakes etc...

NS04