Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One year on and the WRX has to go...

Search this Thread

Old 02 December 2005, 08:26 PM
uno70s
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One year on and the WRX has to go...

After a year of high fuel costs, expensive insurance and bad image I’ve decided the WRX has to go….. FASTER so I had PPP fitted to the car this week.

Gotta say that I love the noise from the new exhaust, nice and meaty when you’re pushing on but not to intrusive when you’re cruising and the extra kick when your get to 3K revs is great.

Now the bad news, the car has started stalling when it comes to a stop at junctions and the like , so it’s going back into the garage next week for a looksie.

Here’s a breakdown of where the money went for the PPP kit (according to the invoice).

Supply and fit £198.00

Intercooler hose £106.38

Exhaust £425.53

ECU £617.50

Gasket £4.47

Exh Bolt £7.45

Vat £237.88

Total £1597.21

Insurance went from 480 to 600 with DirectLine

Mike
Old 02 December 2005, 08:46 PM
sid the snake
Scooby Regular

you kidder!!
Old 03 December 2005, 08:37 AM
andyfish
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by uno70s
After a year of high fuel costs, expensive insurance and bad image I’ve decided the WRX has to go….. FASTER so I had PPP fitted to the car this week.

Gotta say that I love the noise from the new exhaust, nice and meaty when you’re pushing on but not to intrusive when you’re cruising and the extra kick when your get to 3K revs is great.

Now the bad news, the car has started stalling when it comes to a stop at junctions and the like , so it’s going back into the garage next week for a looksie.

Here’s a breakdown of where the money went for the PPP kit (according to the invoice).

Supply and fit £198.00

Intercooler hose £106.38

Exhaust £425.53

ECU £617.50

Gasket £4.47

Exh Bolt £7.45

Vat £237.88

Total £1597.21

Insurance went from 480 to 600 with DirectLine

Mike
Pleased you are enjoying the performance Mike - hope you get the problems sorted soon

andy
Old 04 December 2005, 07:33 PM
RJL_WRX05
Scooby Regular

I had ppp fitted 2 wks ago, 960 quid all in with an sti panel filter thrown in too. The fitting was £120 plus VAT. I am well impressed with the results so far (touch wood!). Insurance went up £152 though, also with Direct Line
Old 04 December 2005, 09:16 PM
big_xavier
Scooby Regular

RJL where did you get yours done mate ?
Old 04 December 2005, 10:16 PM
Trap2Terrorist
Scooby Regular

Nice one!

Strange that they charge £617 for "ECU" when all they do is load a standard "PPP" map into your existing ECU.

No replacement ECU chip.
No custom map configured to your individual car's performance, etc.

Considering somewhere like Powerstation charge ~£550 +VAT it seems a little steep. The ecutek includes before and after rolling road tests and the map is customised to your fuel type, car's air and fuel mixture, power curve, etc.

I realise the ecutek will negate your warranty but as an item on the PPP invoice it doesn't seem very fair to me.

Anyway, enjoy the new driving experience, I'm sure it'll change the whole feeling of driving the car.
Old 04 December 2005, 10:42 PM
scoobydog
Scooby Regular

That sounds a good deal on the insurance front.

I was quoted an extra £176 from Direct Line for just over 5 months left so that equates to around £400 for the year I guess. Put PPP on ice because of this as it'd be too much extra every year.

When I said about a quote for PPP they didn't know what it was and worked it out from the horsepower increase.

Anyone else find this?
Old 04 December 2005, 10:47 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Sounds like a MAF - mine had these symptoms at junctions

Dan
Old 04 December 2005, 10:53 PM
RJL_WRX05
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by big_xavier
RJL where did you get yours done mate ?
I got it done at olympian in dorset after a mate rang me to tell me they were offering it cheap. No where else came anywhere near on the price. The profit at £1,600 must be huge!! If u run a search on them on here there are some bad reports though (not with ppp but with general servicing/customer care). As a result I waited with the car and watched the guy fit every bit of the kit (I must have done his head in inspecting parts and watching his every move!!). To be fair though he was very good and it took him about an hour and a half in total. Got my nice PPP installation certificate/silver door sticker and then rang subaru to make sure it was registered with them, which it already was (apparantly as soon as Prodrive distribute the parts it appears on Subarus database). Very happy with the results and still got my warranty as well
Old 04 December 2005, 10:56 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Intercooler hose £106.38

I bought a blue Silicone intercooler hose for £4 when I fitted my STi intercooler.
Old 05 December 2005, 07:39 AM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Of course there's some serious marking up going on; it's a main dealer thing!

The price for the ECU covers the development really; I guess they just put that down on the invoice to avoid a line item like "development charge which has already been paid for many times over"!

It's hard to compare to other re-maps, as they don't maintain your warrantee, and I doubt many other companies have tested their work as much as Prodrive have probably done.

I'm just happy that there is a fully Subaru-backed method of upping the performance!
Old 05 December 2005, 08:57 AM
DJ140
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobydog
That sounds a good deal on the insurance front.

I was quoted an extra £176 from Direct Line for just over 5 months left so that equates to around £400 for the year I guess. Put PPP on ice because of this as it'd be too much extra every year.

When I said about a quote for PPP they didn't know what it was and worked it out from the horsepower increase.

Anyone else find this?
I had my WRX PPP insured with DL fro 2 years, however at this years renewal I mentioned the PPP again and they advised that I wasn't insured for the upgrade!!!!!

They had listed my car as a WRX Prodrive, not the same thing apparently. They also advised that if I didn't have the Prodrive model I would require a Tracker.......WTF are these guys smoking I thought, I went with A-Plan in the end.

Glad you enjoy the PPP, consider the Prodrive spring kit as a worthwhile upgrade with PPP, oh and uprated pads........
Old 05 December 2005, 04:55 PM
mikepaul
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by RJL_WRX05
I had ppp fitted 2 wks ago, 960 quid all in with an sti panel filter thrown in too. The fitting was £120 plus VAT. I am well impressed with the results so far (touch wood!). Insurance went up £152 though, also with Direct Line
Hi,

I'm with Direct Line, when I asked them they hadn't a clue and could not quote me, maybe this has changed as it was 3 months ago and thw WRX is still non-PPP.

My renewal with them is going to be around £400 and I'd love to add the PPP added (even when I mentioned the extra 40bhp they said they couldn't quote me as it's not a listed add-on).

Any help would be appreciated,

Cheers,

MP
Old 05 December 2005, 05:03 PM
AC-scoobie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mikepaul
Hi,

I'm with Direct Line, when I asked them they hadn't a clue and could not quote me, maybe this has changed as it was 3 months ago and thw WRX is still non-PPP.

My renewal with them is going to be around £400 and I'd love to add the PPP added (even when I mentioned the extra 40bhp they said they couldn't quote me as it's not a listed add-on).

Cheers,

MP
You could always try telling them the ECU and the exhaust have been uprated giving you an extra 20%. When I told them about the exhaust they just asked how much the power had increased by, 5%, 10% etc.
Old 05 December 2005, 08:02 PM
uno70s
Scooby Newbie

Hi,

Cheers,

MP
I'd read on here that Direct Line don't know what PPP is so I didn't even bother trying to explain it. I just said it was an engine upgrade and stainless steel exhaust with total power gain of < 20%

Mike
Old 05 December 2005, 11:11 PM
RJL_WRX05
Scooby Regular

Hi,

Cheers,

MP
There is a clasification for WRX PPP which is listed as a WRX 261 (i.e. bhp) BUT according to Direct Line they will only use this classification if it states ppp on the log book i.e. it must have PPP fitted from new. When I explained that every single ppp was fitted post reg and therefore the classification would never be used ever they insisted that cos it was modified after registration it had to go down as an Engine Management/Exhaust modification increasing BHP upto 20%. There is a thread on here somewhere that explains all this and the hard work done trying to getting insurers to recognise ppp. It hasn't worked with Direct Line yet though!!
Old 22 February 2006, 01:13 PM
T123VOR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trap2Terrorist

Strange that they charge £617 for "ECU" when all they do is load a standard "PPP" map into your existing ECU.
It is a rip off - but I heard you're actually paying for the map license rather than the map.

I got PPP too enjoy
Old 22 February 2006, 04:16 PM
Vrs
Scooby Newbie

I had no major problems with direct line when I brought my WRX with PPP back in 2004.They just worked it out as a 17% increase in power.Insurance was £800!

I never really felt the PPP kickin though?The power seemed to be there asoon as you hit the accelerator.

Had to fit a new clutch and engine mounts a few months later, I think that was down to my driving, not the cars fault