Gutted!

Search this Thread

Old 30 November 2005, 07:16 PM
JimVVC
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gutted!

Hi

I put a deposit on a 1996 WRX Impreza a couple of weeks back and was due to collect it this week. At £3700 for the car (facelifted version) I feel I have got it for a good price and it has plenty of bills and history.

On the owner's return from holiday he informed me that the car wasn't ready due to an oil leaf from the front crank seal, and I could have my deposit if I wished. As I still wanted the car I asked him to get some quotes for the work to be done, he texts me to say he has had it recovered by Scooby Sport and then, after 2 days I get another text to say the job is done and the bill is £1500 and he won't pay for it.

I still have the option to walk away from the deal and get my deposit back but i'm not sure what to do, it seems like alot of money to me for a seal to be changed so I was wondering if you guys on here had this seal go on their scoob and how much it cost them, I really want this car but due to my lack of experience don't want to be ripped off.
Old 30 November 2005, 08:10 PM
STI MAN
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JimVVC
As I still wanted the car I asked him to get some quotes for the work to be done, he texts me to say he has had it recovered by Scooby Sport and then, after 2 days I get another text to say the job is done and the bill is £1500 and he won't pay for it.
You asked him to get some quotes but NOT to do anything until you spoke to him? If this is the case, I'd walk away.

On ther other hand though..

If you *really* want the car and feel that £5200 is still a fair price for it, then go for it! Bear in mind though, you may be able to get a better car for the the extra £1500.
Old 30 November 2005, 08:25 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

front crank seal does not cost £1500 to change!!

it involves a reasonable amount of work because you need to strip and remove the timing belt,crank pulley, etc. to gain access to replace (and ideally a new t/belt, etc. whilst apart) but dependant on labour charges would find this unlikely to account for much more than a few hundred pounds.................................

alyn
Old 30 November 2005, 08:33 PM
Dspeed
Scooby Regular

Miss read sorry, It sud only be the cost of a cam belt change.

Last edited by Dspeed; 30 November 2005 at 08:36 PM.
Old 30 November 2005, 08:44 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't say how much you left as deposit.

Reading between the lines I think he has sold it for a higher price, or has a better price on the table ..............

I would ask to see the receipt from ScoobySport, ring up a couple of other Impreza service places and check the cost.

Then it's up to you ........

£3700 + £1500 = £5200 ................. for a few £100 more you can get a W Plate UK Impreza with FSSH and 50k miles on it, in Silver.

Pete
Old 30 November 2005, 09:18 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

As far as i'm aware, there is only one company called Scoobysport, and they do not yet do any kind of 'hands on' work on customers cars..... ??

It may well be that this guy is stringing you along... does he say where this firm, 'Scoobysport' are...???
Old 30 November 2005, 10:02 PM
RAF1
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

i'd ask for the contact number of the garage that did the work and then ring thme to confirm what has been done and for how much...
as said 5k will get you a nice impreza .. check in the for sale threads...

Raf.
Old 30 November 2005, 10:37 PM
sgcooby
Scooby Regular

Are you all mad. Get your deposit and walk away. Its his car still so his problem untill you buy it. Its his tough **** it had a problem. I cant believe your even considering this. I bet he will probably keep your deposit now claiming you backed down on the deal and that will take the sting out of his repair bill. Go round and get your money back now. If you bought the car and the leak happened the next day do you think he would pay for it. No way. Sold as seen mate its your car and your problem would be his reply. Cheeky beggar asking you to pay but if your seriously considering paying you are nuts.
Old 30 November 2005, 11:17 PM
JimVVC
Scooby Newbie

Lol reading back i do sound a bit mad - I've given him a £200 deposit and he assures me I can have it back, the place I assume is near where he lives in Wickford, Essex - About 2 & 1/2 hrs drive from me.
I'd walk away it's just he seemed like a genuine bloke I had my heart set on this one and can't find anything similar for the same money - they all seem to be well above £5k. Wish i'd have kept my RX-7 now.

I will try to get some more info on this scooby sports place but it does sound like i'm being taken for a ride.

Last edited by JimVVC; 30 November 2005 at 11:20 PM.
Old 30 November 2005, 11:23 PM
DonnieDarko
Scooby Regular

Please walk away. I reckon if he's made up a name for a garage, he's not going to give you the deposit back.

try to get it back, but if not i'd still walk, scratch that, "run" away!

there is a reason why the others are more expensive- they're better.
Old 30 November 2005, 11:55 PM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

walk, if it sounds wrong, it more than likely is wrong mate

john
Old 01 December 2005, 09:35 AM
JimVVC
Scooby Newbie

cheers for the advice guys
Old 01 December 2005, 11:35 AM
JimVVC
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by pslewis
for a few £100 more you can get a W Plate UK Impreza with FSSH and 50k miles on it, in Silver.

Pete
How easy and how much is it to get a UK 2000 Turbo up to WRX or STi spec power wise?
Old 01 December 2005, 11:54 AM
simo
Scooby Regular

How easy and how much is it to get a UK 2000 Turbo up to WRX or STi spec power wise?
it's already quicker than a new age wrx To STI spec, how deep are your pockets? Decat, remap, fuel pump etc £1.5 - £2k if done properly.

Simon
Old 01 December 2005, 12:39 PM
ScooBStu
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
You don't say how much you left as deposit.

Reading between the lines I think he has sold it for a higher price, or has a better price on the table ..............

I would ask to see the receipt from ScoobySport, ring up a couple of other Impreza service places and check the cost.

Then it's up to you ........

£3700 + £1500 = £5200 ................. for a few £100 more you can get a W Plate UK Impreza with FSSH and 50k miles on it, in Silver.

Pete
Where are all these w Reg cars so cheap - You have banterred on about them for the past few weeks. Do you really think you can get a W reg one for a few hundred quid more than £5200.

Absolute Rubbish
Old 01 December 2005, 12:53 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've seen them in the for sale section seriously cheap too It's shocking that they are so cheap to buy these days
Old 01 December 2005, 02:18 PM
ben1413
Scooby Regular

Look on the Autotrader website, there are quite a few on there about that sort of money. I was thinking about selling my 1994 WRX but even with all the mods it's worth **** all.

Ben
Old 01 December 2005, 02:38 PM
obi
Scooby Regular

It could just be a coincidence but a while ago I considered buying a Forester from a seller in Wickford. Sounds very familiar. Tried to convince me that he had a full service history with Scoobysport. It was a pity he'd bought the car six weeks after they'd gone to the wall. Caught him out several times and so walked away.

Obi
Old 01 December 2005, 03:26 PM
AC-scoobie
Scooby Regular

The garage he may be refering to is Scoobytek, they are a scooby sport supplier
http://www.scoobytek.co.uk/
Old 01 December 2005, 03:51 PM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

Hi

I put a deposit on a 1996 WRX Impreza a couple of weeks back and was due to collect it this week. At £3700 for the car (facelifted version) I feel I have got it for a good price and it has plenty of bills and history.

On the owner's return from holiday he informed me that the car wasn't ready due to an oil leaf from the front crank seal, and I could have my deposit if I wished. As I still wanted the car I asked him to get some quotes for the work to be done, he texts me to say he has had it recovered by Scooby Sport and then, after 2 days I get another text to say the job is done and the bill is £1500 and he won't pay for it.

I still have the option to walk away from the deal and get my deposit back but i'm not sure what to do, it seems like alot of money to me for a seal to be changed so I was wondering if you guys on here had this seal go on their scoob and how much it cost them, I really want this car but due to my lack of experience don't want to be ripped off.
Buy this one, you'll have 3 times the car for less than the £5200 for a 18carat gold crank seal & be grinning with 330 Bhp & 311 Ft/lbs
http://images.fotopic.net/?iid=y2oi4...482&quality=70
Dean
Old 01 December 2005, 04:01 PM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

Or you would if FotoPic had not taken a dive !!!!

Dean
Old 01 December 2005, 04:41 PM
Nevetas
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

recovered by Scooby Sport and then, after 2 days I get another text to say the job is done and the bill is £1500 and he won't pay for it.
There is no scoobysport anymore.

He lives in Wickford so it's either Scooby Tek or Xtreme Scoobies.

I would run a mile...
Old 01 December 2005, 05:13 PM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

If you've seen a nice UK model you fancy, go for it - it isnt going to feel like a slow car - if you check the actual 0-60 times, top speed etc... that the extra power of an import gives you, theres very little in it.

I think some people get a bit hung up on the bhp, not really allowing for the fact a standard UK turbo will still go like **** off a stick compared to most other cars out there for the money. Adding 10% bhp to an already fast car isnt going to be all that noricable on the road.

Also, depending on your age and driving history, area etc... you may find you save enough on the insurance by getting a UK car to put a few mods onto the UK one ( if they havent been done already ), plus there are a lot less dodgy sheds with the UK cars than the cheap imports.
Old 01 December 2005, 06:11 PM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by simo
it's already quicker than a new age wrx To STI spec, how deep are your pockets? Decat, remap, fuel pump etc £1.5 - £2k if done properly.

Simon
unless its fitted with PPP lol

john
Old 01 December 2005, 06:51 PM
JimVVC
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by DeanF
Buy this one, you'll have 3 times the car for less than the £5200 for a 18carat gold crank seal & be grinning with 330 Bhp & 311 Ft/lbs
Dean

Nice car! What year is it?
Only prob is my max price is about £4700
Old 01 December 2005, 07:10 PM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

Nice car! What year is it?
Only prob is my max price is about £4700
Its a 1994 Uk, it was the original press car when released here in the Uk
http://www.autocar.co.uk/RoadTest_Summary.asp?RT=200077
I have the Mag as well !!
But it has come a long way since then, list of items is Big,
Coilovers,Braces all round, Upper & lower, Adjustable Arb's & Control arms, Uprated bushes, droplinks, Bigger brakes,New Gearbox,lightened flywheel, Organic Clutch, Fmic, 550 injectors, Fuel pump, Induction, Apexi Ecu & Commander unit, Mapped by andyF, 300Zx maf, Full Decat, Unequal headers, Oil temp, Oil pressure,Boost, Afr gauges, Momo shiny bits, Gear surround, handbrake, Carbon pedals
Serviced evry 1000 to 1500 miles, only run on castrol Rs fully synthetic, Sti4 spoiler, Splitter, Splash gaurds, Fully colour coded & more that i have forgot !!!
Cracking motor looking around the £5000 mark, i want to start on something newer
Dean
Old 01 December 2005, 07:24 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nevetas
There is no scoobysport anymore.

He lives in Wickford so it's either Scooby Tek or Xtreme Scoobies.

I would run a mile...
I think you'll find that there is a 'Scoobysport'... isn't it something to do with the people behind this site...???
Old 01 December 2005, 08:35 PM
Nevetas
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RON
I think you'll find that there is a 'Scoobysport'... isn't it something to do with the people behind this site...???
Yeah, ofcourse, but the way the guy is talking he means he is driving his car into a garage and having work done.

As far as I know the new scoobysport has no public premesis especially not in the Essex Area, so how can this guy be taking his car into Scoobysport to have work done??
Old 01 December 2005, 09:18 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Whatever : It does not sound right. Get your deposit and walk away.
Front oil seal for under £500. He has someone else on the car or there is something else you do not know about.
Old 01 December 2005, 09:24 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScooBStu
Where are all these w Reg cars so cheap - You have banterred on about them for the past few weeks. Do you really think you can get a W reg one for a few hundred quid more than £5200.

Absolute Rubbish
Listen '****-For-Brains' the reason I have mentioned it recently is that someone where I work has one for sale ................ for a few £100's more than £5200!!

Retact your comment, apologise and do NOT **** me off again!!

Pete

Quick Reply: Gutted!