new 2.5WRX vs MY03 uk STI appox £17000

Search this Thread

Old 29 November 2005, 09:29 PM
unfeasablylargegonads
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new 2.5WRX vs MY03 uk STI appox £17000

Hi all,

I am thinking of spending around 17K for a new scooby, now here is the dilemma, from Litchfied I can get a brand spanking new MY06 2.5WRX (euro import) or I can go 2nd hand and get a MY03 STI type UK.

I am thinking that will be easy to tune the 2.5 to match the power output of the STI and still have a less stressed engine and I get a new car.

not having driven either yet I am looking for a bit of feed back from any one who owns/has drivern these, is aware of the (reasonable cost) tuning options for the 06 WRX.

and before anyone says it I don't want a 2WD FST, as I need 4 doors

Cheers

Dan

Last edited by unfeasablylargegonads; 29 November 2005 at 09:33 PM.
Old 29 November 2005, 09:33 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

FOR 17K you can get an 04 JDM STI which will beat both hands down
Old 29 November 2005, 09:35 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by unfeasablylargegonads
Hi all,

I am thinking of spending around 17K for a new scooby, now here is the dilemma, from Litchfied I can get a brand spanking new MY06 2.5WRX (euro import) or I can go 2nd hand and get a MY03 STI type UK.

I am thinking that will be easy to tune the 2.5 to match the power output of the STI and still have a less stressed engine and I get a new car.

not having driven either yet I am looking for a bit of feed back from any one who owns/has drivern these, is aware of the (reasonable cost) tuning options for the 06 WRX.

and before anyone says it I don't want a 2WD FST, as I need 4 doors

Cheers

Dan
With unfeasablylargegonads any man would need 4 doors

Dipster
Old 29 November 2005, 09:35 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Buster,
Chapmans of Pickering have an immaculate 53 plate WRX STI just 2 yrs old for £15995 30k miles. As far as which car to go for you'd have to drive them both. Good luck mate glad to see you won't be blinkered into buying the Focus....
Old 29 November 2005, 09:37 PM
unfeasablylargegonads
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pippyrips
FOR 17K you can get an 04 JDM STI which will beat both hands down
Hmm, I did not look at that, defiantly a good option, having read a bit about it the JDM twin scroll appently delivers a lot better midrange. Did not realise they would be in that price bracket
Old 29 November 2005, 10:15 PM
dexter
Scooby Regular

Mate, DO NOT make the same mistake I did about 8 months ago !

I bought a new WRX at the time, and within a few months I PPP`d it, which made it loads better.

I then made the "mistake" of driving an STi, and knew I should`ve got one of these in the first place, so I ended up selling the WRX for a MY03 STi PPP, and losing loads of money in the process.

The moral to this one being; that if you`re already thinking about an STi, then get one ! I know the new WRX is 2.5 etc, but you probably won`t be happy until you`ve spent loads of money (and it would have to be PPP at £1600, or your warranty is invalid) just to get it up to around 265 bhp, when you could get the STi straight off, have the power figure you want already, and THEN modify that to in excess of 300 bhp.

Again, as somebody says further-up, get a JDM and you`ll have major power straight off.

Just my opinion mate, but borne out by my own experiences.

Good luck !
Old 29 November 2005, 10:34 PM
unfeasablylargegonads
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dexter
Mate, DO NOT make the same mistake I did about 8 months ago !

I bought a new WRX at the time, and within a few months I PPP`d it, which made it loads better.

I then made the "mistake" of driving an STi, and knew I should`ve got one of these in the first place, so I ended up selling the WRX for a MY03 STi PPP, and losing loads of money in the process.

The moral to this one being; that if you`re already thinking about an STi, then get one ! I know the new WRX is 2.5 etc, but you probably won`t be happy until you`ve spent loads of money (and it would have to be PPP at £1600, or your warranty is invalid) just to get it up to around 265 bhp, when you could get the STi straight off, have the power figure you want already, and THEN modify that to in excess of 300 bhp.

Again, as somebody says further-up, get a JDM and you`ll have major power straight off.

Just my opinion mate, but borne out by my own experiences.

Good luck !
Thats the sort of experence I am looking for

I did make the same mistake already with my current UKMY99, few months after I wished I brought the JDM STI. still worth exploring the options. I certanly did not think a 03 JDM STi would be in this price range.

Cheers

Dan
Old 29 November 2005, 10:42 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

I would go for the STi, I have a 04 WRX and have spend loads of money on it, most parts coming from a STi in the 1st place, Wish I waited a few months and got a STi instead.

But theres always a next time.
Old 29 November 2005, 10:49 PM
dexter
Scooby Regular

No probs Dan.

Yeah, you can now get a JDM at a reasonable price; but whilst I can`t comment on those, because I`ve never driven one, I can tell you that an STi with PPP is absolutely awesome mate !

No disrespect to the guys on here that are perfectly happy with their standard WRX`s, but the difference is like night and day (as it should be with an extra 80bhp, I would respectfully concede)

Also, bear in mind that the STi has a 6 speed box, so the acceleration in each gear is more brutal to start with (are the new WRX`s 6 speed, can`t recall at the mo...?), but, coupled with PPP, or something similar like TSL 333, the STi is transformed !!!!!

No doubt the JDM lads will wipe my eye in a minute though , but I think most would agree Dan, get a used STi (whether it be UK or JDM) and then your options are far more open................
Old 29 November 2005, 11:07 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

So far my WRX has had spent on it.

Engine: £2,500 Which has bought the power up from 225bhp to 308bhp

Brakes: £1,600 AP 6-pots with 355mm discs, which makes it stop better then a STi, but the brembo's on the Sti are quite good anyway.

Suspension:£300 Got a strut brace which Sti has standard anyway and a geometry setting.

Wheels & Tyres:£770 2nd hand 18" wheels with tyres looks better then Sti, but purly cosmetic.

Exterior:£1000 Basially made a standard WRX look like a STi

£6,200 for aftermarket mods
£15,000 for a 2nd hand WRX

Total £21,200 and its only as quick as a STi with ppp and looks the same, but warranty void because ive modified it, ans the STi has a more realiable gearbox.
Old 30 November 2005, 12:23 AM
unfeasablylargegonads
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the feedback guys, its bad when you add up what you spend on these things, I don't even want to add up what I have spent on oil lone during my ownership of my current scooby let alone all the other bits.

lol, I know whatever I buy I will find it hard to resist the "mod" disease other than I will be too skint to do it. On checking the MY06 WRX does not have a 6 speed gear box. Also it would seem (from what I read on here, if thats to be believed ) that the standard 2.5 engine in them has weakish pistons and conrods if I did decide to play with it latter on.

Listen to me thinking about moding a new car I have not even brought yet ARRGGHHH
Old 30 November 2005, 07:16 AM
taylor
Scooby Regular

I'm with pippyrips

had a standard euro import wrx, modded to 280bhp, handling sorted out etc. I preffered it to the UK Sti. I now have an 03 JDM STi (cost 17 grand a few weeks ago with 13k on the clock. UK supplied car). To say it's light years ahead of the UK models would be an understatement.
Old 30 November 2005, 09:46 AM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by scoobyboy1
So far my WRX has had spent on it.

Engine: £2,500 Which has bought the power up from 225bhp to 308bhp

Brakes: £1,600 AP 6-pots with 355mm discs, which makes it stop better then a STi, but the brembo's on the Sti are quite good anyway.

Suspension:£300 Got a strut brace which Sti has standard anyway and a geometry setting.

Wheels & Tyres:£770 2nd hand 18" wheels with tyres looks better then Sti, but purly cosmetic.

Exterior:£1000 Basially made a standard WRX look like a STi

£6,200 for aftermarket mods
£15,000 for a 2nd hand WRX

Total £21,200 and its only as quick as a STi with ppp and looks the same, but warranty void because ive modified it, ans the STi has a more realiable gearbox.
Yep me too. I've got a '03 wrx as an sti looky likey. I want to make it go faster and stop better, but am having trouble reconciling putting sti parts such as turbo and inter cooler and injectors in and brembos on. I could make it faster than a ppp sti but it would be worth even less on resale than if if I had left it standard.

2nd hand sti's are a very good buy currently. At least things like wheels and six pots you could move to your next car.
Old 30 November 2005, 10:12 AM
explore
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyboy1
I would go for the STi, I have a 04 WRX and have spend loads of money on it, most parts coming from a STi in the 1st place, Wish I waited a few months and got a STi instead.

But theres always a next time.
you have spent load of money on it? i have a my03 wrx all i have done to it is change the rear box to a vortex, wheels and boost controller which brought the boost upto 15 and a half psi running safely, i put it on the rollers and am getting more power and torque than a std sti, its only cost me around £300 i thats nothing really.
Old 30 November 2005, 10:18 AM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

i've driven a uk sti with PPP back to back with my 04 jdm sti - they are a lot of differences not just in performance but also in little things such as the nice red clocks, HID lights, rear wiper, foldy mirrors etc found in the JDMs - sounds silly but you get much more for your money.

the only mods to mine have been a full milltek exhaust system and the car is pushing out 340bhp with ease