Sponsored by:

Another + Point for the Type-R

Search this Thread

Old 17 November 2005, 07:10 PM
RAF1
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Red face Another + Point for the Type-R

right then, i was looking to sell my 02 STi and replace it with STi type-R.. anyway just as i was convincing myslelf to keep the 02 STi for a little longer an 'incident' happened today that convinced me the Type-R it is..!!!

Anyway I starts up the 02 STi today as the wifey says lets go shopping.. so me in drivers seat, wifey in passenger seat and 2 year old daughter in back (passenger side in baby seat)

anyway go down my street and take a right and then immediate left turn.. just as i take the right i notice a light nr the dash.. quick look again and its the one for the 'door open'!!!!

quick look back and my daughter somehow managed to open the bloody door - and just as i took the left turn the door shut itself..!! Didn't half sh** myself for a split second...!! The look on her face was a picture.. think she got scared when she realised the door was open...

So for me 2 doors it is (Any excuse) Roll on the Type-R......

Raf.
p.. Now i realise why you have childlock on doors...
Old 17 November 2005, 08:04 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Blimey, that was close.

A very similar incident happend a good few years back when my parents and I where on holiday in Wales on a farm house.
The father, his son and a mate of the fathers where out in their land rover and the boy fidled with the door handle whilest they where moving and the door opended, and this being a old Land rover, no seat belts, the boy fell out and was kill The boy was 9 i think?

We had to move that evening and go to another ladies who put us up for the rest of our hols.

I get you are lucky that your scoob has seat belts and was in a child seat.

BTW i hope this has not scared you.
Darren
Old 17 November 2005, 08:11 PM
rooferman
Scooby Regular

Only thing to consider is if the worst happens...ie collision with your children stuck in the back.......Think i,d rather have four doors in this situation.
Old 17 November 2005, 08:32 PM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

i would be keeping the sti if i were you,put on childlocks.sti type r 2 door is nowhere near as strong a shell as sti in crash and does not have isofix fittings for child.basically you are going from a safer car to a less safe car.i sold my p1 due to its impractability re doors/isofix/safety concerns if i was in your position as a parent i would keep sti
martin
Old 17 November 2005, 08:51 PM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

Give it a week and you will wish you had a four door again. Soon they will be complaining of not enough leg room in the back and the misses will want a 4x4. Just bite the bullet and get an X5 to keep everyone happy
Old 17 November 2005, 10:41 PM
rooferman
Scooby Regular

Have to agree type r is certainly not a family car,i own a 4 door sti ra and i wouldn,t dream of ferrying the missus and kids about in it.
Old 18 November 2005, 12:47 AM
scarey
Scooby Regular

hmmmmm..... nobody though about putting the kiddy locks on like with all other 4/5 door cars then?????????????

Trending Topics

Old 18 November 2005, 09:58 AM
RAF1
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by scarey
hmmmmm..... nobody though about putting the kiddy locks on like with all other 4/5 door cars then?????????????
not really as i've mainly ever driven 2 door cars and never needed to (type-r, my NSX and currently a go between 3dr vr6 golf)
therefore not in the routine - if you know what i mean

some interesting points made about the type-r... however as a car for personal enjoyment/pleasure the '02 doesnt really cut it for me...
But i can understand what you mean about the strength of a type-r...
however if we all decided on cars to buy through safety only measures we'd all be driving big old school volvo estates - built like a tank

Raf.
Old 18 November 2005, 10:23 AM
alexf2003
Scooby Regular

or maybe a renualt as they are safer

Alex
Old 18 November 2005, 11:24 AM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Another thing to consider with a Type R, because they are 2 door the doors are a fair bit longer. This could be a pain if you're trying to load kids into the back seats - particularly in a car park with tight parking spaces.
Old 18 November 2005, 11:57 AM
LUCKO
Scooby Regular

i love my type-r i really do. the only thing that concerns me about the car is the fact it has NO ABS

are you willing to drive such a car with your child inside? worth considering
Old 18 November 2005, 03:03 PM
Luke C
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know you want one

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...83#post5194683
Old 19 November 2005, 09:12 AM
CyprusScooby
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a Type-R! You won't regret it!!!!
Old 19 November 2005, 10:07 AM
Playsatan
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got a Type R and two young children (aged 1 & 3) and while I'd recommend one as a drivers car with absolutely no hesitation I'm not so sure it'd make an ideal family car.

First off is saftey, not too sure how strong the shell is but can't be anywhere near as good as a newage. As mentioned no isofix and with no ABS and DCCD the chances for crashing it in the first place have got to be higher (well they are for me anyway).

Then there's living with it. Those doors are mighty long and anything other that a child space in a car park and you'll be struggling to get the little one in and out the back. Oh, amd you have to reset your seat every time you do it as there's no memory function on them. And the drivers doesn't even slide forward. Don't forget the short gearing either. Little ears, hardly any sound deadening and 4k revs at 70 don't really mix.

So am I saying dont buy one???? Definately not!

Buy one today, not tomorrow but keep the 02 for the missus. You will not regret it.