Selling a car to a foreign buyer

Search this Thread

Old 17 November 2005, 03:13 PM
Jonty
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Selling a car to a foreign buyer

Afternoon folks.

As the title itself might start ringing alarm bells with some folk, I'll do a bit of explaining after. But first a question...

If I sell a privately owned, UK registered vehicle to someone who plans to take it away and import into Germany (themselves), is there anything else I would need to do in addition to the usual V5 paperwork..?

I've had a peek around the DVLA which has some export guidance but technically I would not be exporting it and might also not be aware that the car is going to leave the UK. Anyone else done this before..?

Purely for info, I've got a car for sale and obviously want to pay particular attention to any scammers. I've been approached by someone who lives in Germany and who is interested in the car... and who would of course eventually import it into his country. Whether a UK or foreign buyer, my original intention remains -- the car does not go anywhere unless cleared funds are transferred into my account and verified by my bank, whether via on-line banking or something like Paypal. I was of the thinking that all transactions have their risks (fake cash, dodgy cheques, fake draughts) so at least if an electronic transfer was done then there'd be some form or tracking on both my (the seller) and the buyers part. Sensible thinking..?

Jonts.
Old 17 November 2005, 03:26 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Ask yourself why a German would want a right hand drive car ? Even perhaps why a German would want a Japanese car ?

If you're being scam'd then the funds will probably clear in your bank, but 3 weeks later when the cheque or whatever lands at the account holders bank it will be seen as a fake and the funds immediately removed from your account. By that time the car will have been handed over and disappeared without a trace.

If they really want your specific car, and are prepared to go through all the hassle of deporting from UK and importing into an EU country, then if genuine they would more than likely be prepared to go to the trouble of booking a £20 flight and coming over to view the car in person. If all is well you could then do an automated transfer at your bank. NO-ONE buys a car, especially a good one at full market value without seeing it. NO-ONE
Old 17 November 2005, 03:50 PM
Jonty
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
NO-ONE buys a car, especially a good one at full market value without seeing it. NO-ONE
Thanks for the reply and I can assure you that I share your concerns 100% and certainly wouldn't let myself be blinded by the thought of a simple sale, or how genuine a potential buyer may seem. Thing is, if flights are that cheap, a dubious buyer could pop over once, twice, or even three times if they wanted to.

What's concerning though is if it could take c.3 weeks for a bank to realise there was a problem with a payment, what method should be used then..? Perhaps I should talk to my bank -- after all, if I ask them to verify the funds and they approve, surely they'd be liable if they were then taken back weeks afterwards..?

With regard to the car and the buyer, the car (an MR2) is being sold at a discounted price because there are a couple of issues with it. This in itself makes it a very attractive purchase to those who are fellow enthusiasts and might want to use it as a project car.

Granted I don't know the buyer personally so I choose to keep an open mind when he says he's "had 3 of his own but now wants a Turbo version" and that "the Turbo is rare in Germany." What he has offered though is a deposit in advance of a visit to the UK... but of course with what you say about banks taking money back, does such an offer really stand for anything..?

Like I say, I'm not rushing into this sale and have posed a good few questions to the chap concerned so that I can gauge his awareness of what he's trying to buy. At the moment, I'm comfortable with 'him', but it's the payment method which leaves it all in doubt.

Jonts.
Old 17 November 2005, 04:08 PM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

fares are that cheap these days, it would cost nothing for a buyer to meet you in person, if there serious, they will, if not, sell it to a soon to be scoobynetter lol

good luck mate

john
Old 17 November 2005, 04:18 PM
ryn004
Scooby Regular

Jonty,
Last May, I set myself to buy a classic Scooby from the UK (I'm Maltese). I wanted to buy one from the UK because they are twice as much expensive here in Malta. One of my difficulties was finding an honest seller, and trying to convince him I wasn't a scammer. But by correspondence on emails, and a few phone calls we trusted each other and first sent him a depost before, and the rest when I picked up the car. I had arranged a bank transfer the week before, and called my bank when I was happy with the car to transfer the funds the same day.

As a seller, you would just fill in the V5 document like you will normally will. Then when the DVLA receives the V5 and notices a german address, they would declare the car as exported.

If you need to know anything else just get back to me.
Old 17 November 2005, 04:33 PM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

The only safe payment method is cash - get them to come to the UK and take out cash from a bank, or to get cash in Pounds in Germany and send it over by fully insured mail.

When you pay it into your bank, specifically ask them to check the money is genuine.

Paypal payments can be reversed months after they are made, bankers drafts and money orders are all quite easily faked and take a few weeks to show up.

Is this buyer by any chance offering you a really good price for the car ? like more than they could buy another car the same for in the UK ?

Imprezas are NOT rare at all in Germany, nor are Impreza Turbos - according to Subarus sales figures they only sold a few thousand more in the UK than in Germany.

Its a scam - walk away now and forget about it - sell to someone in the UK with real cash in their hands and stop kidding yourself you're going to get thousands more for the car than everyone else who cant sell their car this time of year !
Old 17 November 2005, 04:41 PM
Jonty
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ryn004
If you need to know anything else just get back to me.
Thanks for the response -- appreciate your comments. I'm deep in thought at the moment and may PM you if I have any questions.

Cheers, Jonty.

Trending Topics

Old 17 November 2005, 04:51 PM
Jonty
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MikeCardiff
Is this buyer by any chance offering you a really good price for the car ? like more than they could buy another car the same for in the UK ?

Imprezas are NOT rare at all in Germany, nor are Impreza Turbos - according to Subarus sales figures they only sold a few thousand more in the UK than in Germany.

Its a scam - walk away now and forget about it - sell to someone in the UK with real cash in their hands and stop kidding yourself you're going to get thousands more for the car than everyone else who cant sell their car this time of year !
Well it's tricky -- the price (for an MR2 I'm selling, not an Impreza) has been discounted because of a problem it has. I've been offered £200 less than the asking price, which itself is c.£2K less than what I could ask if it was 100% on the road.

Appreciate your feedback. For what it's worth, I don't stand to make a killing with this 'potential' sale, far from it. The car itself doesn't have that kind of remaining value left.

Thanks once again. After some serious thought I may well contact the buyer to convey my concerns and 'test the water' as it were.

Cheers,

Jonty.
Old 17 November 2005, 04:51 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Question

Originally Posted by ryn004
Jonty,
Last May, I set myself to buy a classic Scooby from the UK (I'm Maltese). I wanted to buy one from the UK because they are twice as much expensive here in Malta.
Apologies for going off topic, but this seems bizaar given that we pay SSP £21k for a new WRX, but can buy Maltese imports for £16k. Unless there is a high new car tax that obviously isn't applicable to export buyers