Sponsored by:

ppp is it really 305 bhp???

Search this Thread

Old 13 November 2005, 12:10 PM
scoobcabbie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool ppp is it really 305 bhp???

Been reading some old threads on here that have had ppp done, then put on a rolling road and only showing 290 bhp, me self was thinking of having ppp but would be pi**ed o** if I was only going to gain an extra 25 bhp .

As my car is only 1 year old it seem to be the only option to keep the warranty.
Would you be able to get the ppp to 305 bhp if the above was to happen?

Richard Essex
Old 13 November 2005, 12:18 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Air temps, fuel etc all make the power output change.
Old 13 November 2005, 12:29 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Rolling road brakes can only tell you the power at the driven wheels and thats not especially accurate; tyres alone can make a massive difference (and Im sure that you realise that the tyres dont affect the engine's output...). The 'at the flywheel' figure that the operators give you is nothing more than a guess; usefull for making comparisons and arguing in the pub.

Simon
Old 13 November 2005, 12:52 PM
ZEN Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by GC8
Rolling road brakes can only tell you the power at the driven wheels and thats not especially accurate; tyres alone can make a massive difference (and Im sure that you realise that the tyres dont affect the engine's output...). The 'at the flywheel' figure that the operators give you is nothing more than a guess; usefull for making comparisons and arguing in the pub.

Simon
The flywheel figure is calculated from a coastdown run on the rollers, it's not a guess. Granted it may not be 100% accurate, but it's surprisingly good, and if done properly will calculate additional tyre losses, or dragging brakes.
Old 13 November 2005, 05:44 PM
Scooby Dan
Scooby Regular

Rolling road figures dont tell the full story. True not many PPP's seem to put out the quoted 305 bhp on the rollers although I am told that the 05 model gives the best results, but on the road a PPP car is so much quicker and nicer to drive than the standard car which has a pretty narrow power band. The PPP will widen the power band considerably meaning you will need far less gear changes to keep the car on the boil. There are better options out there that give more power for less cash but it depends how much you value your warranty.
Old 13 November 2005, 05:53 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Mine gives out more than 305.

dipster
Old 13 November 2005, 05:56 PM
dexter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Dan
Rolling road figures dont tell the full story. True not many PPP's seem to put out the quoted 305 bhp on the rollers although I am told that the 05 model gives the best results, but on the road a PPP car is so much quicker and nicer to drive than the standard car which has a pretty narrow power band. The PPP will widen the power band considerably meaning you will need far less gear changes to keep the car on the boil. There are better options out there that give more power for less cash but it depends how much you value your warranty.
I would agree entirely with this post.

Let`s face it, any company, including Prodrive, is always going to give the best possible BHP figure attainable, under perfect conditions. After all, they`re not going to say "our PPP mod will definitely give you 295 bhp, but if you`re lucky, and conditions are perfect, you`ll see 305." They`re trying to sell a product, and will always quote the best figure that has ever been achievable.

What I can say for definite (as does Dan above), the PPP is a major all-round improvement in the driveability, and overall responsiveness of your car. If you`re thinking of doing it, then get it done, as it`s well worth it IMHO.
Old 13 November 2005, 06:09 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

It's all about area under the graph as well, not headline figures.
The PPP gives much more area

dipster
Old 13 November 2005, 06:45 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Sod PPP conversion, Ive just spent about the same price a PPP conversion would have cost on aftermarket mods and a remap on my 225bhp 2004 WRX, and managed to get 308bhp.

If I had a STi, I would have gone for the following.

Sports Cat downpipe
Decat uppipe
Decat midsection
Backbox
Uprated fuel pump
Ecutek remap

I bet you would get about 320-330bhp with that lot, and well under the price of a ppp package.
Old 13 November 2005, 07:06 PM
MTR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyboy1
If I had a STi, I would have gone for the following.

Sports Cat downpipe
Decat uppipe
Decat midsection
Backbox
Uprated fuel pump
Ecutek remap
The STi MY02 onwards DON'T have a catalyst in the upipe as standard.
The PPP only removes the mid section Cat, and replaces the downpipe cat with a different one.

Cheers
MTR

Last edited by MTR; 13 November 2005 at 07:08 PM.
Old 13 November 2005, 07:17 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MTR
The STi MY02 onwards DON'T have a catalyst in the upipe as standard.
The PPP only removes the mid section Cat, and replaces the downpipe cat with a different one.

Cheers
MTR
Are you sure mate, my 04 WRX, had a Cat in the uppipe, but my MY00 classic didnt. Im pretty sure that all newage cars have a cat in the downpipe, uppipe and midsection. Which I was more then happy to get rid of.
Old 13 November 2005, 07:37 PM
Scooby Dan
Scooby Regular

MTR is right 02 onwards STI doesn't have an up pipe cat,WRX does.
As I said above there are better options available for tuning STI's, I have PPP but want to remove the downpipe cat and have a remap among other things as my car is now out of warranty, but as I said earlier I think the PPP is a huge improvement over the standard car . Judging by the wording of the original post by Scoobcabbie it looks like he wants to retain his warranty which would make PPP his only real option.
Old 13 November 2005, 07:42 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Thats why my WRX felt slow, all those bloody cats, which are no sitting in my shed.

Lucky I didnt have a tenner on it MTR.
Old 14 November 2005, 01:59 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Zen Performance
The flywheel figure is calculated from a coastdown run on the rollers, it's not a guess. Granted it may not be 100% accurate, but it's surprisingly good, and if done properly will calculate additional tyre losses, or dragging brakes.
I understand how it works Paul, but I dont think that the 'at the flywheel' figures are accurate at all. The best that a user can hope for is that the figures provide a reasonably accurate comparison.....

Simon