Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange knocking at rear of car?!?

Search this Thread

Old 12 November 2005, 10:58 AM
LiamWR1(2)
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Strange knocking at rear of car?!?

Has anyone else had this? it seems that there is a strange knocking sound eminating from the rear of my car, almost as if something was rattling round in the boot, like a loose spare tyre? but I've checked the boot and everything is secure. Also when I'm about to pull away from a junction it seems as if the car nudges forward slightly, as if it's been slightly bumped from behind?!?

I've never noticed this before but it seems to happen quite alot at the moment, could it be a fault with the diff, suspension or wheel bearings? or is this normal with a subaru?

Cheers,
Liam
Old 12 November 2005, 12:05 PM
donutman
Scooby Regular

try a search m8 it seems as though you have the common fault with the rear struts. Take to your dealer they will replace the top mount or the strut
Old 12 November 2005, 01:07 PM
BrynO
Scooby Regular

Which Subaru? rattling rear struts seems quite common on early bugeyes..
Old 12 November 2005, 01:24 PM
rooter75
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LiamWR1(2)
Has anyone else had this? it seems that there is a strange knocking sound eminating from the rear of my car, almost as if something was rattling round in the boot, like a loose spare tyre? but I've checked the boot and everything is secure. Also when I'm about to pull away from a junction it seems as if the car nudges forward slightly, as if it's been slightly bumped from behind?!?

I've never noticed this before but it seems to happen quite alot at the moment, could it be a fault with the diff, suspension or wheel bearings? or is this normal with a subaru?

Cheers,
Liam
hi liam. i had the wr1 in for a service last week and asked the dealer to have a look for this knocking/rattling sound coming from the back of the car.
the dealer was GMD at durham, and guess what, they found no fault! i asked on wr1oc about this problem and was told it is a fault with the rear shocks on my04/05 cars and should be sorted under warranty. so waiting for the dealer to come back to me
Old 12 November 2005, 02:18 PM
donutman
Scooby Regular

If they jack the car up look and then take it out for a drive it will not do it. Once it has restarted (may take upto a week for the car to settle) take it back and take them out in it before they jack it up. This fault happens on bugeyes and blobeyes, Subaru know about the fault and have a modified top mount
Old 12 November 2005, 02:35 PM
supertouring
Scooby Regular

I had rear top mounts changed (did not fix it) and then rear shocks, all under warranty. Problem has since dissappeared. MY03 STi.
Old 13 November 2005, 10:14 AM
LiamWR1(2)
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by rooter75
hi liam. i had the wr1 in for a service last week and asked the dealer to have a look for this knocking/rattling sound coming from the back of the car.
the dealer was GMD at durham, and guess what, they found no fault! i asked on wr1oc about this problem and was told it is a fault with the rear shocks on my04/05 cars and should be sorted under warranty. so waiting for the dealer to come back to me
Thanks rooter75, will do the same and let me know the outcome with yours!

And thanks to eveyone else who replied, VERY useful info and helped me to realise it was a fault rather thank a quirk!!

Best Regards,
Liam.
Old 13 November 2005, 10:33 AM
G00ner
Scooby Regular

Location: Poole - in an Isuzu D-Max LE (Prodrive Version) Gamer Tag "Coin Slot"

"They all do that sir"
"No fault found"
"It's a characteristic of the car"
"We've checked the car thoroughly, don't worry about it"
"We'll ask Subaru tech support and get back to you" (they won't do either)
"We've increased the tyre pressures, seems ok now"

If you brought it new, take it back to the supplying dealer, grab the salesman and make the ****ers promise to have it fixed on the first attempt or you'll drive it through their window and set fire to it.
Old 13 November 2005, 02:13 PM
abbiesdad
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by LiamWR1(2)

Cheers,
Liam
it might be the knock link
Old 14 November 2005, 10:01 AM
T4molie
Scooby Regular

Sorry not wanting to hijack but was wondering if anyone had experienced the knock at the front? I've got an 05 STi with the Prodrive spreings fitted and it seems to have a developed a knock coming from the front OS wheel area when going over potholes in the road?

Andy
Old 14 November 2005, 11:49 AM
gingerboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by T4molie
Sorry not wanting to hijack but was wondering if anyone had experienced the knock at the front? I've got an 05 STi with the Prodrive spreings fitted and it seems to have a developed a knock coming from the front OS wheel area when going over potholes in the road?

Andy
That'll be 2 of us then. I had the N/S rear shock under warranty 2-3 weeks ago and now the o/s front is knocking, either that or I'm paranoid. I read in another thread somebody had all 4 struts and mounts changed!!!

I'm going to give the dealer a call this week and see what they have to say.

Paul
Old 14 November 2005, 12:37 PM
Stephen Pope
Scooby Regular

i had a loose wheel bearing - my 98uk tuirbo
Old 14 November 2005, 12:39 PM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

Slightly off topic but I wonder how much warranty costs for all car manufacturers have increased since 'net allowed folk to talk to so many others.
Years ago they could fob you off and call your problem a one off or "We've never seen that before". Or say "Well that's not covered".
Now you can say, "Oh really, what about all the others on xxx owners' site?".
I understand that warranty costs are a closely guarded secret.
I was also told by a main dealer bodyshop aquaintance that he believed the factory warranty folk were paid bonuses based on how much they kept those costs down.
Mind, this aquaintance was moaning about the factory allowed times for work.
Old 14 November 2005, 01:34 PM
T4molie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gingerboy
That'll be 2 of us then. I had the N/S rear shock under warranty 2-3 weeks ago and now the o/s front is knocking, either that or I'm paranoid. I read in another thread somebody had all 4 struts and mounts changed!!!

I'm going to give the dealer a call this week and see what they have to say.

Paul
Bugger!! Looks like I'll be calling the dealer up then!! I take it nothing is likely to fall off imminently?

Andy