Sponsored by:

Next Scooby advise

Search this Thread

Old 11 November 2005, 11:46 PM
David_Harden
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Next Scooby advise

I'm trying to work out what Scooby to buy next. It'll be a 1998 or 1999 car and it will be an STi. But which???

I know the Type R's have very short gearing. Does anyone know if the Type RA has identical gearing to the R? Are they hard work because you're forever changing gear?

Do all Type RA's have DCCDs (we're talking specifically about version 5 or 6)?

I've read scary things about Type R's. Apparently they can bite. I don't want much oversteer because it scares the hell out of me. I once lifted off when going round a corner very fast, at the limit of grip. The back end let go and I was lucky to get it back!! But I don't like understeer either. I'd like a perfectly neutral car. Basically, I want to avoid crashing.

Do I need an RA or are they just as scary as an R???

For info, my current car is an MY95 WRX with 280bhp.

Advice please.
Old 12 November 2005, 01:43 AM
flat4_ire
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David_Harden
I'm trying to work out what Scooby to buy next. It'll be a 1998 or 1999 car and it will be an STi. But which???

I know the Type R's have very short gearing. Does anyone know if the Type RA has identical gearing to the R? Are they hard work because you're forever changing gear?

Do all Type RA's have DCCDs (we're talking specifically about version 5 or 6)?

I've read scary things about Type R's. Apparently they can bite. I don't want much oversteer because it scares the hell out of me. I once lifted off when going round a corner very fast, at the limit of grip. The back end let go and I was lucky to get it back!! But I don't like understeer either. I'd like a perfectly neutral car. Basically, I want to avoid crashing.

Do I need an RA or are they just as scary as an R???

For info, my current car is an MY95 WRX with 280bhp.

Advice please.
yes al sti type ra's have DCCD, type r is in my opinion the best to go for, i have one and as far as imprezas go i wudnt pick another one, except maybe 22b..but for the money type r is the way to go, gears are a little shorter than the ra's im nearly certain but not much,both have rapid pace..but type r is a 2dr and will be that little easier to sell i feel.ra's are great too,just in 4 dr shell, more than likely have no elec windows or a/c in ra..
type r handles wicked in dry!!no step out, differnt story in the wet tho, so my advice is learn to drive properly and dont act the **** in the wet
Old 12 November 2005, 09:25 AM
rooferman
Scooby Regular

I thought the gearing in the v5 sti r/ra where the same....sti ra,s are slightly lighter and not as common as the sti type r.Oh, and you get that little flappy roof vent thing..

Wrc 555 sti type ra limited is the one to get...not biased at all,honestly!!
Old 12 November 2005, 10:40 AM
David_Harden
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info. I think I need a DCCD.