Sponsored by:

Anti lag

Search this Thread

Old 10 November 2005, 03:24 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anti lag

Anyone know much about it? How much it costs to get fitted and what mods would need to be made to a scooby to get it fitted? Where it could be done.

I know it has to be switchable as it's non road legal. Something to do with it making the car spit flames i guess
Old 10 November 2005, 03:55 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.rallycars.com/Cars/bangbang.html
Old 10 November 2005, 03:56 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Its not just a bolt on flame spitting mod.

Usually done with extensive mods inc BIG turbo and an ECU such as Motec.

Bob
Old 10 November 2005, 04:07 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

cheers coradoboy.

bob'5 - just wondered what was involved. i guessed it would be quite a lot. a mate has it on his scooby. i know how much was spent on that before the anti lag was fitted and wondered how much of it was necessary. looks like most of it.

thanks,

matt.
Old 10 November 2005, 04:25 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Back when i had my classic ('97). I was quoted £3000 for an anti-lag to be fitted. They also commented that many parts would need constant replacement, something like an exhaust a month he was saying. And you know what, i almost went for it.

More money than sense. Now no money nor sense

Being a rally-nerd, i'd love a switchable banging machine.
Old 10 November 2005, 04:28 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Question for you.... If you dont know much about it can I ask why you want it or feel the need to have it?

If its just for the flame effect - go get some neon exhaust lights or a flame kit or something.

Turbo = precision engineered compresor - basically a wheel with fan blades that spins at extremely high revolution. The bigger the turbo, the bigger the wheel.

Lag = The bigger the wheel the more effort it takes to get spinning quickly enough to make the required levels of boost. The delay between pinning the throttle pedal and the car making boost is the evidence of 'turbo lag'.

Bigger the turbo - the more it will suffer from turbo lag.

One way to combat the effect of lag is to keep the compression wheel spinning by using an anti-lag system. When you lift off the throttle it doesn't fully close, the timing gets wound back, the fuel gets ignited when the exhaust valves are open due to the retarded timing. Force from the combustion keeps the turbo spinning.

The main drawbacks are that this in;t doing your turbo or exhaust a whole lot of good, and when you are off the throttle for braking your car is still trying to accelerate, just a bit scary if you are not used to it.

In terms of cost - its a whole lot of pounds for some pops, bangs and flames. Look at buying a motec ECU and cost for mapping. Unless you really want to cut your 0-60 time, quarter mile time or compete with the big boys, its something that will do your car more harm than good.

I'm no expert - this is my over-simplified understanding of what it is and how it works.

TT
Old 10 November 2005, 04:28 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You *******

"The problem is partly dealt with by fitting a turbo dump valve, which acts each time the driver lifts his foot from the throttle."

This is why I bought and then sold my Dump valve after getting advise from you idiots
Old 10 November 2005, 04:32 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
You *******

"The problem is partly dealt with by fitting a turbo dump valve, which acts each time the driver lifts his foot from the throttle."

This is why I bought and then sold my Dump valve after getting advise from you idiots

Who is 'you'?

I sincerely hope you not referring to members on this forum as a whole.
Old 10 November 2005, 04:50 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BOB'5
Who is 'you'?

I sincerely hope you not referring to members on this forum as a whole.
just the people that advised me
Old 10 November 2005, 04:51 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

You *******

So lets see if one of us '*******' can make sense of your post pimmo2000????

"The problem (turbo lag) is partly dealt with by fitting a dump valve"

Completely true

"This is why I bought and then sold my Dump valve after getting advise from you idiots"

You dont need to buy a DV - there is a more than adequate on already on the car - so you removed it because you wanted more lag.

I cant be bothered to trade insults with you, but you know nothing about the guys and girls on here, and it would seem you know even less about the car you claim to own!

TT
Old 10 November 2005, 04:52 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

gaz the hat - lol same here, no money not a lot of sense.

tarmac terror - just wanted to know what was involved to be able to have it and if it was a reasonable amount of work / cost / effort or not. cheers for the details.

neons aren't really my thing and my car pops the odd flame on deceleration already. no flamer kit, just no cats, stainless exhaust, dump valve and sul with octane booster in every tank in theory about 104 ron fuel (98 ron sul and 6 ron booster).

pimmo200 - hope you don't mean most of the people on here? most are very helpful and offer advice from experience.
Old 10 November 2005, 05:10 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

just the people that advised me
I suggest you stop calling people '*******' and 'idiots' when it is you that doesn't understand the simple concept of dump valves.

Also, most are old enough to make up their own minds whether or not a VTA d/v is for them or not, regardless of what many say on here.

Bob
Old 10 November 2005, 05:20 PM
Tripple'O G
Scooby Regular

I have a BIGGER turbo, Gems, Forge dump valve, with anti lag and to be honest....I very rarely use it, if ever......saying that I did last night as it goes with some poxy rich kid in a porsche Carrera 4S and did make him look a bit silly......anyway unless you want to get "real serious" i'd spend my money on something else.

peace
Old 10 November 2005, 06:59 PM
alexf2003
Scooby Regular

you dump all the boost and that helps lag does it?!

Alex
Old 10 November 2005, 07:39 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tarmac terror
Question for you.... If you dont know much about it can I ask why you want it or feel the need to have it?
A very good question......

When the original poster realises that the turbocharger will last a couple of thousand miles with 'anti-lag' fitted; Im sure that he will think better of it.....
Old 11 November 2005, 11:24 AM
Tripple'O G
Scooby Regular

Only if you use it all the time.......I might add.
Old 11 November 2005, 01:28 PM
fromage au pantalon
Scooby Regular

You *******

where the **** did that come from, deep breath.....count to ten....and kiss my ***.

judgemental idot
Old 11 November 2005, 02:03 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mneame
Anyone know much about it? How much it costs to get fitted and what mods would need to be made to a scooby to get it fitted? Where it could be done.

I know it has to be switchable as it's non road legal. Something to do with it making the car spit flames i guess
Yes. As others have stated the timing is altered to put unburnt fuel into the turbo which burns keeping the turbo spinning. Its quite an old system and its quite crude. Your turbo life will go down by about 90% with ALS.

If you already have an ECU which handles ALS and uprated turbo etc then the cost is not that much. If not buy the above first (circa 3k).

A1 Rally Sport will do it for you.
Old 11 November 2005, 02:11 PM
DaveW
Scooby Regular

AKAIK About all you need for Antilag is an ECU that supports it. You don't need to change the turbo etc.. Just look at most Subaru GPN Rally cars, standard airbox (different filter), standard turbo (with restrictor), exhaust (minus CATs) and standard engine.

GEMS is about £1500 fitted and mapped, and this ECU can be mapped with ALS if you so wish.
Old 11 November 2005, 03:46 PM
AC-scoobie
Scooby Regular

You *******

Old 11 November 2005, 04:05 PM
TonyFlow
Scooby Regular

Just to add, you can decrease lag by removing the D/V from the system - you will also get some rally-style chirps as the compressor stalls - will not do weaker turbos much good, but something like a td05 should stand up to the "abuse"
Old 11 November 2005, 04:31 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

cheers guys. was just wondering what was involved. would prefer to keep my car in a state that doesn't mean that i need to buy new bits for it left right and centre. so the als will be shelved until i win the lottery

wonder if my mate knows about all this. he uses his anti lag all the time. he bought the car with it on already. he does get it serviced at the correct intervals though so i guess that it should show up if anything needs replacing.
Old 11 November 2005, 08:42 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DaveW
AKAIK About all you need for Antilag is an ECU that supports it. You don't need to change the turbo etc.. Just look at most Subaru GPN Rally cars, standard airbox (different filter), standard turbo (with restrictor), exhaust (minus CATs) and standard engine.

GEMS is about £1500 fitted and mapped, and this ECU can be mapped with ALS if you so wish.
True, but depends how long you want the turbo to last and how often you use the ALS. Most aftermarket ECUs support it, MOTEC, GEMS, Emerald etc etc. If you want you turbo to last you must change it and the exhaust system too.
Old 11 November 2005, 09:20 PM
Dave uk blue mica
Scooby Regular

GEMS is the one, my mate has it on his sti ra rally car with switchable anti lag, pointless on the main road though and it'll kill your turbo in about 1000 miles.
Old 12 November 2005, 07:43 AM
Scooby Regular

A friend of mine had GEMS on his hill climb Sti RA V3. Great car, fast too.
Enabled anti-lag on the stock Sti turbo etc.
The noise of the ecplosions nearly banned him on the race track, and he was told to switch it off.
Next run and meetings after he went FASTER...

Perhaps pimmo wants to scare people down the high stree/shopping centre and give us all a BAD IMAGE in plods and public's eye?

Anti lag has it's place in motorsport but not down the high street.

Graham.
Old 12 November 2005, 10:18 AM
Stainy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyFlow
Just to add, you can decrease lag by removing the D/V from the system - you will also get some rally-style chirps as the compressor stalls - will not do weaker turbos much good, but something like a td05 should stand up to the "abuse"
Now that's got me confused. Decrease lag by stalling the turbo?
Surely the dump valve is there to prevent just that (ie keep it spinning) so that it's half way there when you come back on throttle
Old 12 November 2005, 10:37 AM
R.B
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DaveW

Your missing the little bit about after 2-3 weeks you will need a new engine.

You new guys that have come into the subaru world need to do more research on scoobynet.

If you fit anti-lag and run the car with it switched on then the turbo for one wont last a week.

R.B
Old 12 November 2005, 10:44 AM
ZEN Performance
Former Sponsor

ALS can be made as mild or wild as your budget. WRC cars go through about 3 turbos per event to ensure they can run full ALS reliably, but then I know of GrpN cars running ALS that last a few seasons no problem.

If you want noise, then Autronic, GEMS or MoTeC can all do ALS enough to give you the sound without killing everything. Of course restrain is needed, and many systems have a timer so it only goes on for say 10 seconds max (enough time for someone to be back on the throttle).

You also need to consider that with proper ALS on a group N car, there is no vacuum to power the brake servo.

If you want to get the lag to a mimimum, ditch the OE dump valve, or get an aftermarket one that doesn't open so easily, get your exhaust system sorted, and get the car mapped properly along with good boost control.

Paul