Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I being unreasonable or stupid here?!

Search this Thread

Old 04 November 2005, 06:02 PM
Cret
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I being unreasonable or stupid here?!

Story is that I recently bought a pair of 4 pots off Ebay, item number 4584933977 for anyone wanting to see the auction.

Now I've received these in a timely fashion and exactly as shown in the pictures. Can't argue or complain about that.
The problem is that none of the parts needed to hold the pads in place were included. This means there were no pins to hold the pads in, no anti rattle clips and the springs that go through the pad pins were not included either.

These are the parts I'm referring to that were not included (pic supplied by another kind person):

Basically I cannot use these calipers without these parts and it states very clearly on the auction:
Comes with all pins, springs and clips
I'm a reasonable bloke and I've emailed the guy saying he seems to have missed these bits out by accident etc which was ignored at first then further emails got the response that "all pins, springs & clips WERE included and that they are inside the calipers & are what holds them together".
Now unless I'm completely wrong calipers generally don't have any such bits inside them and he's talking crap. That aside it clearly states all these bits described are included in the auction and they were not.
I've replied back twice now having to say I might have to complain to ebay (as my first email was ignored again), as I cannot use them without these bits and that it's not exactly what was advertised. The guy has sent a snotty reply back to me saying his crap explanation again and that they are complete calipers, he doesn't like being threatened and I can complain for all he cares etc etc.
I'm pretty sure there's not very much I can resolve from this because if I leave him bad feedback I'm sure he'll do the same and mine is currently 100% positive and I don't want it ruined etc etc. Is there any point complaining to Ebay about this? I don't want to send these back for a refund as I'm happy with the calipers themselves, just not happy that they weren't complete.
I realise also this is hardly the first time someone has had a problem on Ebay but I'm pretty p1ssed off as I want to be able to use these on the car and they're useless hunks of metal until I get the bits that should have been with it.
Am I making a fuss about nothing or is this guy out of line?
Cheers!
Old 04 November 2005, 06:07 PM
iamevilhomer
Scooby Regular

If you paid by paypal your best option is to maybe file a "goods not as described" case.
If you paid by credit card you could also contact them.
He obviously doesnt have them so your best result apart from a full refund would be a partial refund allowing you to buy the missing bits.
Good liuck anyway!

Originally Posted by Cret
Story is that I recently bought a pair of 4 pots off Ebay, item number 4584933977 for anyone wanting to see the auction.

Now I've received these in a timely fashion and exactly as shown in the pictures. Can't argue or complain about that.
The problem is that none of the parts needed to hold the pads in place were included. This means there were no pins to hold the pads in, no anti rattle clips and the springs that go through the pad pins were not included either.

These are the parts I'm referring to that were not included (pic supplied by another kind person):

http://legacy.manxforums.com/forums/...pe=post&id=938

Basically I cannot use these calipers without these parts and it states very clearly on the auction:
I'm a reasonable bloke and I've emailed the guy saying he seems to have missed these bits out by accident etc which was ignored at first then further emails got the response that "all pins, springs & clips WERE included and that they are inside the calipers & are what holds them together".

Now unless I'm completely wrong calipers generally don't have any such bits inside them and he's talking crap. That aside it clearly states all these bits described are included in the auction and they were not.

I've replied back twice now having to say I might have to complain to ebay (as my first email was ignored again), as I cannot use them without these bits and that it's not exactly what was advertised. The guy has sent a snotty reply back to me saying his crap explanation again and that they are complete calipers, he doesn't like being threatened and I can complain for all he cares etc etc.

I'm pretty sure there's not very much I can resolve from this because if I leave him bad feedback I'm sure he'll do the same and mine is currently 100% positive and I don't want it ruined etc etc. Is there any point complaining to Ebay about this? I don't want to send these back for a refund as I'm happy with the calipers themselves, just not happy that they weren't complete.

I realise also this is hardly the first time someone has had a problem on Ebay but I'm pretty p1ssed off as I want to be able to use these on the car and they're useless hunks of metal until I get the bits that should have been with it.

Cheers!
Old 04 November 2005, 06:11 PM
Cret
Scooby Regular

Cheers - I did say in my last email to him that I wanted him to reply and either confirm that he would send the parts (I think you're right that he probably doesn't have them btw), or refund me the cost of getting them elsewhere.

Was after that that I received the snotty email from him saying if I want to I can post them back and he will strip them free of charge & post me back the '100s of parts' to prove these bits are inside. It just sounds like utter bull to me as all calipers I've stripped in the past contain pretty much next to no parts like these and are basically chunks of metal containing fresh air for the fluid to travel through, and pistons unless I'm very much mistaken!!
Old 04 November 2005, 06:40 PM
Cret
Scooby Regular

For what it's worth this is the content of the email he sent me today. It sounds like a total crock to me....

ok this is the second email sent to you! All Clips, Springs etc are included
( this is what holds the caliper togeather) However if you would like you
can send the calipers back to me and ill strip them and get all the clips,
springs etc out and send it back to you in about 100 bits if you would
like????? Please dont threaten me with getting ebay involed, as a really
dont care and i can bet thay dont either, All The caliper is complete and
everything is there as shown in the pics! however like i say if you want the
springs and clips, send back the caliper a i strip it Free of charge and
send it back to you. Thanks for your buisness
Scooby696969
Old 04 November 2005, 06:45 PM
Mark A
Scooby Regular

I got new pins & anti rattle springs with new pads I bought from Godspeed.

Mark A
Old 04 November 2005, 06:48 PM
Cret
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mark A
I got new pins & anti rattle springs with new pads I bought from Godspeed.

Mark A
That's useful to know then, cheers. I bought a set of discs, pads & hoses for these separately of an extremely helpful chap on here. I knew they weren't included with them as he was obviously using them on his own calipers but I was expecting them with my calipers seeing as it said they would be included.
Old 04 November 2005, 07:00 PM
LUCKO
Scooby Regular

your in a no win situation with regards to negative feedback as if you leave bad for him he will do the same for you and you'll lose your 100%.

£150.00 seems really cheap to me as i've seen these fetch £300+

if it was me i would log on e-bay as a new member under a new e-mail address etc etc and next time he sells someting bid on it right at the end of the auction and then ignore request for payment. he will then have the hassle of re-listing the item and will be well upset (you get some revenge)

Trending Topics

Old 04 November 2005, 07:07 PM
abbiesdad
Scooby Regular

http://legacy.manxforums.com/forums/...pe=post&id=938

Cheers!
no you are 100% right and you should do something... but alas this is the real world and the grief and cost to you will by far outway the cost of the bits..another person riped off on ebay.. i was earlyer this year when i bought a set of as new unmarked alloys ..scratched ,kerbed and corrodedand they wernt even off the car stated.. needed complete referb
Old 04 November 2005, 07:11 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LUCKO
£150.00 seems really cheap to me as i've seen these fetch £300+
These were just the calipers No hoses, disks or pads (or springs and pins)

You can get a set including everything for £250-£300 on here, I know because I've bought 2 sets for that money
Old 04 November 2005, 07:39 PM
scoobfan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulpalmer
These were just the calipers No hoses, disks or pads (or springs and pins)

You can get a set including everything for £250-£300 on here, I know because I've bought 2 sets for that money
That's going to make him feel better !

At the end of the day it said all clips, springs etc and he did'nt receive them.
That said, £150 for what looks like a clean set of calipers ain't bad.

Rob
Old 04 November 2005, 07:45 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobfan
That's going to make him feel better !

At the end of the day it said all clips, springs etc and he did'nt receive them.
That said, £150 for what looks like a clean set of calipers ain't bad.

Rob
It's alright I know Jim It is a good deal if you can actually use them, up until this setback it was looking like a real bargain
Old 04 November 2005, 07:46 PM
Ayde
Scooby Regular

I have purchased items on ebay that have turned up with parts missing, one was an STI intercooler which had the red silicone hose missing, the buyer had forgot to put it in the box and sounded genuine - it turned up in the post a few days later

Second was a Nokia phone case which came with a matching keypad. When it turned up the keypad was missing and the seller was not replying, so I went through Ebay to report I had recieved an item with missing goods. To be honest Ebay was an absolute waste of time and I just kept recieving automated replies from them! I contacted as many of his previous buyers who had left negative feedback for similar reasons and got them to contact ebay but I dont think this did much! Finally I recieved the keypad - about 3 months late! I left negative feedback, as I had gone through the Ebay procedures for reporting him and it could be seen that I had paid him immediatley with paypal. I know this sounds petty for a keypad but it was part of my little sisters birthday present and it wound me up as I could of gone to other sellers on Ebay and had no probs.

Think if I were you I would go through the Ebay channels never know it might make him get his ar$e in gear? If not I would just source the parts yourself at least you will have new pins and springs on your pads - that cant be a bad thing. If you are sure that he should of put these parts in with the calipers then leave negative feedback once you have gone through the complaints procedure with Ebay, this way if he leaves it for you, you will be able to appeal to Ebay and as you have had issues with this seller they should retract any negative feedback from him?
Old 04 November 2005, 07:55 PM
scoobfan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulpalmer
It's alright I know Jim It is a good deal if you can actually use them, up until this setback it was looking like a real bargain
I'll take me foot out of me mouth now then Paul !

Rob
Old 04 November 2005, 07:57 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobfan
I'll take me foot out of me mouth now then Paul !

Rob
lol problems aside he got his for less than I paid anyway so he will have the last laugh
Old 05 November 2005, 12:02 AM
Cret
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the replies fellas. Yes they were a good set of calipers for the price and I still would have paid the same even knowing I needed those bits but that isnt the point. The point is it said everything was included and that wasn't true.

I just hate being lied to. If the guy had emailed me to say something about it I would have been ok but it looks to me like he's advertised something then not maybe realised everything was there and is now trying to backpeddle and trying to confuse me with bull**** to bluff his way free.

I mean has anyone else ever seen a brake caliper that's built from "100s of bits"? I sure as hell haven't!

I see an Ebay complaint coming on for what little it's worth....
Old 09 November 2005, 01:48 PM
Cret
Scooby Regular

Well thinks have just gone from bad to worse. I've had a message from Ebay that the seller complained about an unpaid item for the calipers. Apparently the money has been taken back from his account (presumably paypal not me!) and he has complained meaning I could get an unpaid item strike on my account!!

Now comes the best bit! I've received a threatening email from the seller quoted as follows:
"Hello mate, How's it going???
Just to let you no me and my boys are coming up to see you in the isle of man very

soon. We really can't wait to see how your geting on with your scooby, Any way can't

wait to see you, Hope your well for the time being. Birt"

I think this will now have to become a matter for the Police....
Old 09 November 2005, 02:12 PM
TonyFlow
Scooby Regular

Well thinks have just gone from bad to worse. I've had a message from Ebay that the seller complained about an unpaid item for the calipers. Apparently the money has been taken back from his account (presumably paypal not me!) and he has complained meaning I could get an unpaid item strike on my account!!

Now comes the best bit! I've received a threatening email from the seller quoted as follows:
"Hello mate, How's it going???
Just to let you no me and my boys are coming up to see you in the isle of man very

soon. We really can't wait to see how your geting on with your scooby, Any way can't

wait to see you, Hope your well for the time being. Birt"

I think this will now have to become a matter for the Police....
I would report it to the police, but he is obviously a tough man to need to "bring the boys round" - obviously can't sort anything out "himself" i fecking hate that mentality!

Why did paypal withdraw payment?
Old 09 November 2005, 02:29 PM
Cret
Scooby Regular

I rang paypal and they confirmed it's a standard thing they do with a dispute so there's no risk of the seller doing a runner with the money or what have you. I'm not after a full refund, just a portion of the money that it will cost me to source/buy these parts myself.

The guy is obviously a moron to send me a threat from the same email when he can obviously be located easily via his paypal account by the Police!

Just in case anyone else has any dealings with this guy I'd advise avoiding him like the plague (see auction on first post for details but his seller ID is Scooby696969).

PS if anyone knows any details about this guy I'd be very grateful if they could let me know. Thanks guys!

Just goes to prove he was probably being dishonest all along though if he's the kind of person to be sending threats!