Sponsored by:

TERMINAL ENGINE FALIURE.....

Search this Thread

Old 30 October 2005, 09:48 AM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face TERMINAL ENGINE FALIURE.....

Well, its 5 months old and my engine is no more.

Driving on the dual carriageway last night, bout 80 and i hear this knocking noise. I did a slow down, speed up thing to see if it was gearbox or engine, definatly an engine problem. So on go the hazards and i make it to the first safe turn off.

By this point the noise sounds like someone is belting my engine with a mel hammer. i have to point out that even though there is something seriously wrong here, i still have no warning lights on the dash.

pull to a stop, car when ideling felt like it was only on 3 cylinders, car shaking all over the place. Turn off the ingnition, wind the key back round to the second click and the ECU light continues to flash.

Checked the oil, not a drop.

So where do i stand here then.

Why did an engine stop light not come on?

Why didnt the oil warning light not come on?

There is no visable sign that the oil has just suddenly come out of somewhere. My oil is checked regular and about 3 weeks ago, the car was at the dealer to find out why the same ECU light came on, but that was a continueous light, not flashing ad it would also go off from time to time.

What i really need is someone who has had a similar experiance with a new car. Can the dealer turn round and somehow pin this on me?
Im not sure how much a new engine is, but i could has at a guess that it wont be cheap

Cheers

John
Old 30 October 2005, 10:16 AM
STI Craig
Scooby Regular

i had a similar problem with a integra type r
the instruction manual said i should have checked the oil every time i filled the petty tank.
and that was how they got out of it
as u can imagine i only had the car 5 weeks (2 of which it was stood in my garrage untill i sold my other car, so that i could afford the insurance)

sounds very odd that u had the car 5 months i didnt notice the problem.... was it chucking out black smock as u could have melted a piston ring and not noticed with it beeing night!
Old 30 October 2005, 10:28 AM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

There was no smoke, and would black smoke not have been unburnt fuel???

I had a problem of the ECU light coming off and on, they turned it off, said it was a sensor in the exhaust, i waswaiting to book the car in to get it fitted. That was about 3 weeks ago, and they still have not called to tell me that they have the part in.

And now, it has gone bang.

Surely if the engine has used that oil in 3 weeks, theres a big problem to start with.

And can they really get out of it by saying its my fault, and i mean legaly? i know they have neck for anything at times and that they will try anything

John
Old 30 October 2005, 10:34 AM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I would have thought subaru would honour this under warranty. I would be surprised if they didn't. A 5 month old engine shouldn't be going bang unless they could prove you had been supremely neglectful, which you clearly havn't if the car was back at the dealer only three weeks ago.
Old 30 October 2005, 10:40 AM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

the car was in at 1200 miles for its first service. It was booked in, they then had to cancel and it was put back, thus taking it 200 miles over. The car was in at 5k with a problem described above, it now has 6k on the clock.

So its not like it ramping up silly miles, its actualy 6 and a bit month now, 4th of may was the delivery date on it.

They guy that came out from subaru assistance says this aint the first time hes collected one of these with similar problems, though he did point out that most were STI's. He said he cant see how they can get out of it.

guess im looking for someone who has been through this themselves

john
Old 30 October 2005, 10:52 AM
terryb
Scooby Regular

If the car is only 6 months old then I'm sure you'll be ok under warranty. Good luck and keep us informed of what the dealer says.
Old 30 October 2005, 10:53 AM
mcvicar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EVOLUTION
the car was in at 1200 miles for its first service. It was booked in, they then had to cancel and it was put back, thus taking it 200 miles over. The car was in at 5k with a problem described above, it now has 6k on the clock.

So its not like it ramping up silly miles, its actualy 6 and a bit month now, 4th of may was the delivery date on it.

They guy that came out from subaru assistance says this aint the first time hes collected one of these with similar problems, though he did point out that most were STI's. He said he cant see how they can get out of it.

guess im looking for someone who has been through this themselves

john
Regardless of the problem with the engine if its only 6 months old it should not lose all engine oil unless there is an underlying fault causing it, or you put a hole in the sump for example. Whether its component or gasket failure its down to them and they will have to rectify under warranty. Keep it simple, all garages whether main dealer or other will always try and get round th issue and baffle you with science (not takin the pi**). At the end of the day its down to them but they won't admit it at first. Trading standards will point you in the right direction if you get no joy with them.
Old 30 October 2005, 11:07 AM
BrynO
Scooby Regular

Mate of mine had similar experience with his 03 WRX, although he told the garage it was using loads of oil and smoking, they said it was nothing to worry about, went back a couple of weeks later insisting they take a good look at it, they eventually agreed it was sick and put a new block in last week, they covered it on the warrenty..

As previous posters have said at that age and miles, there must be a problem with the motor, it's not neglect, they should cover the repairs.. hope you get it sorted soon.
Old 30 October 2005, 11:16 AM
Ozzy_B
Scooby Regular

feel for you mate, atleast you have warrenty (i think), my MY99 STi engine let go yesterday, went with a loud clanging/banging noise from the engine, was also on the motorway at approx 80mph

sh*t happens
Old 30 October 2005, 11:24 AM
Granby
Scooby Regular

Sorry to here that mate , you should be fine with the warranty and the fact they turned off the ECU light should help your case if they get shirty.
Old 30 October 2005, 11:25 AM
RAF1
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ozzy_B
feel for you mate, atleast you have warrenty (i think), my MY99 STi engine let go yesterday, went with a loud clanging/banging noise from the engine, was also on the motorway at approx 80mph

sh*t happens
Ouch..!! Its stories like this that make reconsider my decision of buy anoter STi type-R.....
As i cant afford to buy one and then have the engine go on me..!!
Old 30 October 2005, 11:38 AM
justanotherperson
Scooby Regular

everytime i have gone to the dealer with a problem, twise only,engine light on,which was inlet cam tps,apparently, and a leaky radiator,i have asked if the warranty covers both issues and the reply was "the warranty will be invalid ONLY if an aftermarket part has caused the failure"

So me thinks you are covered
Old 30 October 2005, 11:47 AM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

cheers everyone.

The car got taken away this morning, what a carry on. The company contracted to do it under SA, recovered it last night, his depot is right next to the GMD garage, but was told he had to drop the car off at the home address, collect it again in the morning.

so out he came to load it on the back of the truck and away it went.

no doubt i will have some lengthy phonecalls in the morning.

just spoke to SUBARU ASSISTANCE, and so far, i hope none of you lot that are under the age of 25 ever need there services. ENTEPRISE car hire, it would APPEAR that they will not hire cars to under 25yr olds, which is a bit crap, considering im now car-less.

So its a trip to find a hire car then bill them, they have told me that they can re-emburse me the standard costs (i hope, looks like its still going to end up costing me)

GRANBY, Im really glad i didnt go for that re-map i was thinking of, otherwise the words creek, paddle and sh** spring to mind. There is zero chance of that happening now.

i will keep you all informed, thanks

John
Old 30 October 2005, 12:00 PM
C2forWRX
Scooby Regular

feel for you man. your up newcastle way i think aren't ya? i have heard bad reports just this week about GMD in durham. is that where you got ya car? Jennings have a much better rep
Old 30 October 2005, 12:14 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Sale of goods act 1968 amended 2002(?) basically states that if and item becomes faulty within 6 months of purchace (from new) then the item is deemed as being faulty from new (ie manufacturing fault). After 6 months the onous (sp?) becomes the customers to prove the problem was an inherrent fault and not due to abuse/incorrect operation. It also states that goods should remain fault free for 6yrs..! (obviously this dosn't apply to items like light bulbs etc..) However as above after 6 months it's for you to prove there is a fault..!

As for your scoob, I think there should be no question about liability. There have been cases where engines have blown from lack of/no oil where the owner has been acused of not checkiing the oil as per manual. I'd suggest you read your owners manual and say that's how often you checked oil level. In that case the dealer/IM haven't really got a leg to stand on, although they may try it on. Be prepared..!
Old 30 October 2005, 01:30 PM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

Did you have any mods or was it bog standard ?
Old 30 October 2005, 02:13 PM
Playsatan
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A friend of mine had the exact same thing happen to his, the engine actually let go a a subaru meet so there were lots of mechanics about and no-one could tell where the oil had gone. There was no smoke, no drips just a very sick car.

The guy is very particular about his car, checked the level regularly and it was bog standard too. I don't know if he had to fight for it but subaru fitted a new engine under warrenty.
Old 30 October 2005, 03:00 PM
huwmiller
Scooby Regular

Enterprise car hire rent the very base models to 21 years and over so check that.

Sorry to hear about the engine.
Old 30 October 2005, 03:17 PM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by huwmiller
Enterprise car hire rent the very base models to 21 years and over so check that.

Sorry to hear about the engine.
hi.

As its not direct from ENTERPRISE, they dont call the shots unfortunatly. I have had previous cars off them before, Just under 25 means that from them direct, i cant go higher than a grade c, ie no higher than a 1600cc.

Which even that i would be ok with, not happy but at least its a set of wheels.

john
Old 30 October 2005, 03:18 PM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby-Doo
Did you have any mods or was it bog standard ?

No engine mods thankfully. Was seriously thinking of the remap at rodger clarks...

Not any more im not, not after this carry on.

John
Old 30 October 2005, 03:20 PM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by C2forWRX
feel for you man. your up newcastle way i think aren't ya? i have heard bad reports just this week about GMD in durham. is that where you got ya car? Jennings have a much better rep

Gilesgate is where i bought the car from, but they never called me back to book the car in, they turned off the light, and this then happened.

Will try GMD as its the next closest.

Have you had any personal dealings with jennings, what are they like, and how will they take fixing another car that was not bought from them in the first place?

John
Old 30 October 2005, 04:56 PM
Wakey
Scooby Regular

Strange!

I've got a MY03 WRX PPP and the ECU light came on on saturday morning. I checked the oil and it was empty? I always check the oil every two weeks (a routine I've got used to having owned a Honda Civic Type-r which drank the stuff).
I've call Subaru assist and they've detailed that if i drives, starts and seems ok they won't come out? So its been sitting on the drive until tomorrow when I can hobble to thing to the garage.

Surely the OIL light should come on if the oil pressure is low?
Old 30 October 2005, 05:20 PM
justanotherperson
Scooby Regular

the oil light is only there to let you know it's time to get you cheque book out and nothing else
Old 30 October 2005, 05:27 PM
Wakey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by justanotherperson
the oil light is only there to let you know it's time to get you cheque book out and nothing else
LOL

God forbid it'll actually check oil pressure.

I'm sure its not the oil with mine. I had some on the dip stick just under minimum.
I'm already getting ready to be taken to the cleaners tomorrow...they're changing the pads so that should cost me about £5000 if I'm lucky.
Old 30 October 2005, 06:37 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Strange, innit? My old Cavalier CDX had a low oil warning light as well as an oil pressure light.

Not everything is better on new cars, it seems.
Old 30 October 2005, 07:09 PM
Jonty
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mgcvk
I would have thought subaru would honour this under warranty. I would be surprised if they didn't. A 5 month old engine shouldn't be going bang unless they could prove you had been supremely neglectful, which you clearly havn't if the car was back at the dealer only three weeks ago.
Agree totally. It's a new car still and you've got some problem history already logged in the system. With the car still under warranty and such an extreme fault, I'm sure Subaru will be very obliging... without the need for media and Watchdog threats. If for some strange reason they don't want to know, contact the BBC...

Jonts.
Old 30 October 2005, 07:53 PM
huwmiller
Scooby Regular

Oil pressure light is useful for getting oil pressure for a new engine whilst turning over without the crank and cam sesnor on but thats it.

Sorry to hear that John

Subaru should give you a car anyway.
Old 30 October 2005, 09:32 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EVOLUTION
just spoke to SUBARU ASSISTANCE, and so far, i hope none of you lot that are under the age of 25 ever need there services. ENTEPRISE car hire, it would APPEAR that they will not hire cars to under 25yr olds, which is a bit crap, considering im now car-less.

They are talking crap mate, I got a Hire Car on more than one occasion through Subaru Assistance when I was 20 and driving my old MY99 Turbo, that included when it blew on me, twice.

The dealership I used was Town and County in Perth and there were no problems with Enterprise in Dundee supplying me either a Vectra or Focus rental to use.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 30 October 2005, 11:58 PM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

cheers grant im going to have a go at them tomorrow.

The dealer has not yet opened so i have not been able to speak to them yet. i will post results...

As for the oil light. I had no warning what so ever, my 306 Rallye had an oil temp and level light. I think its a real crap system that these cars have. They are being so highly strung, squeezing alot of power out, something as simple as fitting that could prevent many thousands of pounds. You would get that little bit of notice that something was starting to go wrong.

Just so you all know for the future, i think you should all read the OIL section in the owners handbook. because it states in there that you should check your oil level every time you fill up. If you get asked and your answer is any less frequent than that, techincly, your neglecting the car as you are not following the manufacture recomendations. However unreasonable they may seem.

A word of warning

Cheers

John
Old 31 October 2005, 12:01 AM
ben44
Scooby Regular

Subaru will honour the warranty on this. They can be ar$eholes, but they know the damage it will cause them by not doing it.

Goodluck fella. (not that you need it)

Quick Reply: TERMINAL ENGINE FALIURE.....