sti clutch problem

Search this Thread

Old 29 October 2005, 10:14 PM
Zuby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy sti clutch problem

guys ive recently got my 03 sti ppp, but am, worried about the clutch

when i reverse the car into my driveway i always get a burning smell, now my driveway isn't on a mountain but i do have to go up a ramp to get it in and then manoover into my gap

not sure if this helps but the clutch does feel heavy and the biting point is at the top. is this normal? onder2:
Old 29 October 2005, 10:37 PM
minted_aye
Scooby Regular

Apperantly its a common problem, I had a new clutch / flywheel fitted when I had my gearbox rebuild, did it before and still does it now, I dont think its worth worring about

Originally Posted by Zuby

when i reverse the car into my driveway i always get a burning smell, now my driveway isn't on a mountain but i do have to go up a ramp to get it in and then manoover into my gap

not sure if this helps but the clutch does feel heavy and the biting point is at the top. is this normal? onder2:
Old 29 October 2005, 10:42 PM
Zuby
Scooby Regular

what do subaru say about this?

i only just got the car a few days ago and havn't noticed the clutch slip but am worried cos the biting point seems a bit high that it might be on its way out.

Could be though that im jus parranoid now because of the smell
Old 29 October 2005, 11:23 PM
ScoobyAddict
Scooby Regular

The lingering aroma of 'eau de burnt clutch' is not an uncommon feature with scoobies & probably nothing to worry about!

Reversing up your own drive, albeit on the very mildest of slopes is just asking for it with an Impreza! LOL

Can't help you on the other points I'm afraid.
Are you sure it's not just that the clutch biting point etc. is very different from your previous car but coupled with the smell, has made you automatically presume there is a major problem?
If the pong is only occurring under a very limited set of circumstances (eg reversing up your driveway), you're probably fine!
(Would expect the clutch to be dragging/slipping quite badly if it really was on its last legs!)
Old 29 October 2005, 11:29 PM
stevo 1
Scooby Newbie

hi i have the same car while in local dealer i mentioned that the clutch felt high on bitting and also judder when cold(common fault) so they did a test drive said they thought it ok but cos i complained they would get me a new clutch under warranty . now i also have a long drive which i always reverse up as it leads straight onto amain road on the day of collection i reversed up the drive and bingo burning clutch smell and thats on a brand new one so i would say your ok but if in doubt take a trip to your local dealer and see if they are as helpfull as mineother common faults on the 03 is knocking suspension and the battery life ive had all mine changed under warranty
Old 30 October 2005, 09:17 AM
scooby dancer
Scooby Regular

does the clutch bite seem later after driving (as in fluid gets a bit hot) also what is mileage? or who and how has it been driven ? we all know scoobs arent the greatest when it comes to clutches but how it treated is the difference between a clutch lasting 1000miles or 30000 i know im on my 3rd clutch but worth every penny
Old 30 October 2005, 09:50 AM
pin777
Scooby Regular

dont worry m8 a new cluch only costs appx £1200
Old 30 October 2005, 10:25 AM
mr incredible
Scooby Regular

Default Clutch smell

guys Ive recently got my 03 sti ppp, but am, worried about the clutch

when i reverse the car into my driveway i always get a burning smell, now my driveway isn't on a mountain but i do have to go up a ramp to get it in and then maneuver into my gap

Try not to worry about it,i too have
to reverse up a stupid ramp to get my STI 8 in my garage and mine stinks as all of my preverse scooby's have in some part of there life,not put a clutch in yet
just don't abuse it too much!!!!!!!!!!
Old 30 October 2005, 04:20 PM
wakeboardar
Scooby Regular

Hello zuby glad to hear you found your car.
ive put some charcoal 18s on mine now and feel much happier with it
its not uncomman for subaru clutch to go early on in its its life i had to have one changed on a wrx at 22000 if it needs doing warranty should take care of it
its usual to get some launch judder first
waky