Sponsored by:

The Dogs knackered, so's the Hamster

Search this Thread

Old 15 October 2005, 11:24 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The Dogs knackered, so's the Hamster

Oh well, our 12 and a half year old Spaniel has started getting worse, shes been blind for four plus years and now she has gone practically deaf, just being blind she managed with her other sense but now its a real challenge to get her to go anywhere, i.e. in and out of the car, you get her out and she goes anywhere but the house, completely disorientated, cant hear you shouting 'this way, this way' which was always her reference. Its like watching one of those crappy little robots that bump into stuff and change direction, it drives my wife mad as we have 3 kids to deal with as well and they arent any more obiedient,

Even dog pinball is no fun anymore as she cant be arsed going anywhere, it used to work by scoring items in the garden, i.e. Climbing frame 30 points, shed 20 points etc and then send the dog out for a set time and write the scores down. She seems happy, she needs pointing towards her dinner nowadays (as opposed to appearing every time there was any noise in the kitchen or hearing any word that sounded remotely like dinner or biscuit) but she still wolfs it down enthusuastically. She also stinks however much she is bathed, she has a leaky nipple, her face droops on one side (nerve problem) and has breath from the pits of hell.

Onto the Hamster, its just about 2, it developed a big sore/bald patch on its back so I nursed it as per instructions from a few websites but putting Olive Oil on it, it cleared and the scab fell off, healed up, hair grew back and I was a Hamster hero, practically a vet, then about a month ago it started again but all over the furry f*cker, now its fairly bald and looks like cheese on toast, rang the vet and said he would just leave it be, it seems happy enough, doesnt seem in pain, isnt grumpy, just looks revolting.

So they are both ancient (compared to their average lifespan) and bother fairly knackered, what would you do ?
Old 15 October 2005, 11:35 AM
Scooby.Newbie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's never nice when they come towards the end, recently lost my dog, 14 year old Jack Russell, best dog in the world, but aint they all. She ended up with liver problems and kept passing out, so the kindest thing to do was put her to sleep.

Never wanted another dog, but the wife insisted and we now have a Border Collie, mad b****** by the name of flint (named after Keith Flint of the Prodigy, maybe that explains his madness) but he is fun.

Don't have advice really just know that it's a tough decision to make, just make sure that you let him go on for as long as he is happy and not for any other reason.

And as far as the hamster is concerned, think nature will take care of that one.
Old 15 October 2005, 11:39 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

er... trying not to laugh at your descriptions I thought about it from the point of view of my dog, I would be gutted but if you've got the effort and shes happy just look after her.. as for the hairless Hampster... again if its not hurting I guess its not going any harm.. keep feeding it..

Any photos ?
Old 15 October 2005, 12:36 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As an animal lover all I can say is - lots of TLC Consider the ultimate decision only if there is pain or distress. The price you pay for wanting pets in your life is the responsibility you must be prepared to take on. They are living creatures with as much right to exist on this planet as the rest of us. I had a Border Collie many years ago. He was more intelligent than most of the people I knew at the time and I was totally devistated when I eventually had to take him to the vets for the last time. He had been my best mate for 14 years. We now have just a cat (Beavis - if you knew him you would know why - from a ferral litter!) love him to bits! and our last horse who is 25 and now unridable (tendon problems) He costs a bloody fortune - but that's the price you pay - he doesn't owe us a penny!
JohnD
Old 15 October 2005, 12:58 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Too much miaze in hamster food can cause them to lose their hair.

(fellow ex balding hamster owner )
Old 15 October 2005, 07:01 PM
Swen6
Scooby Regular

Regarding your dog, i think deep down in your own heart you know what your gonna do, it's not nice, but does your dog have a good quality of life? Thats the main thing.
Old 15 October 2005, 07:08 PM
scoobfan
Scooby Regular

Should'nt this be in Non Related !

Rob
Old 15 October 2005, 07:29 PM
Staffie555
Scooby Newbie

Unhappy

hamsters only live about 2 years
Old 15 October 2005, 07:32 PM
recopish
Scooby Regular

You kept a bind dog for, four and a half years, hope you worked for the guide persons for the dogs?
Old 15 October 2005, 07:46 PM
leecalcars
Scooby Regular

just bought an english springer spaniel 2 weeks ago ,like having another kid again,but atleast the dog listens and reacts accordingly.
sorry to here the spaniel is DEAF and BLIND can't be much fun for him not being able to see or hear must be terrible for the little mite,only advice is so long as the tail keeps wagging and still taking the food then they are happy so all the love needed to see it through the rest of it's life .

shame though i suppose these things happen to us all when we get on abit just hope someone looks after me when my teeth start to fall out and start loosing every hair on my body . regards
Old 15 October 2005, 07:49 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobfan
Should'nt this be in Non Related !

Rob
Maybe the dogs name is Scooby

Chip
Old 15 October 2005, 07:59 PM
scoobfan
Scooby Regular