Sponsored by:

1.8GL -

Search this Thread

Old 11 October 2005, 12:59 PM
BlackWrxScooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1.8GL -

I found this on the sidc website under the history of the impreza, does anyone know the chassis numbers of the 6 cars? or how i could find out?

"1.8GL"
A very special special! In 1993 Subaru UK brought in 6 Impreza WRX RSs, the development car which led to the RA. Due to type approval regulations, the cars were registered as 1.8GLs! 3 went to Prodrive and were presumably smashed to bits in a forest, while 3 went to Subaru UK who later sold them as used cars. At least one is known still to exist. Yes, it says 1.8GL on the registration document. Yes, it has a 2 litre engine with a huge turbo under the bonnet ...

I have a MY93 and its always been registered as a 1.8GL and i assumed and still do assume that it was just someone getting round the insurance costs. if i give an insurance company my reg and they came back with £150, by the way i ALWAYS tell them its a 2L Turbo WRX.

not that i believe i have one of the 6 imported cars but i ended up having ECU problems and we found out the reason was at some point the wires had been striped for what we assume was monitoring tools, also every garage i've had the car into which includes scoobyclinic has commented on how fast it seems. so just maybe....

if anyone has anymore details on the cars could you let me know?

Last edited by BlackWrxScooby; 11 October 2005 at 01:01 PM. Reason: spelling mistake