Sponsored by:

Octane booster - a real stupid question but Ive got to ask

Search this Thread

Old 25 September 2000, 10:57 PM
Bright Kar
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Ok, so if you add a bottle of Millers octane booster to a full tank (50 litres) it will give an extra 2 RON (approximately anyway).

So, the big questions. Will adding TWO bottles of the stuff give you an extra 4 RON ? And if you then add yet another bottle ......

Dread Johnf or whoever, any ideas ? Been bothering me for a while this

bkar
Old 25 September 2000, 11:10 PM
Mr.Cookie
Scooby Regular

Bkar

Think this got asked a little while ago and the answer was no, cant remember the reason though.

Simon

Ps Think its some sort of (dont ya hate it when you know what you want to say but dont know how to type it) curvy theory type thing where you need to add moe and more to gain same levels
Old 25 September 2000, 11:22 PM
dumpsonscoobs
Scooby Regular

Exponential
Old 25 September 2000, 11:28 PM
simes
Scooby Regular

I was told that whilst you're supposed to mix 1 bottle to 50 litres of petrol, you can mix it with less, but less than 25 litres risks engine damage.

So if one were to keep adding 1 bottle per, say 45 litres, would it gradually get stronger till, potentially, bang?

Simon
Old 26 September 2000, 12:50 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
I recall some debate about the danger of overdosing on Millers or using the wrong stuff in cat cars, but on the bottle of the latest product it says of Millers Octane Plus:

"advanced manganese technology... highly efficient octane booster... compatible with all cars and petrol grades"

"boosts octane of premium or super plus unleaded petrol by up to 2 or more octane points"

"one bottle of Octane Plus treats 50 litres of unleaded petrol"

"For non catalytic converter equipped cars treatment rates can be doubled for even greater performance"

Can someone with appropriate technical knowledge comment on this? Someone from Millers, perhaps. Is it okay to increase the dosage for cars with cats removed but still with the lambda sensor in place? What gains are to be had? What are the dangers?

Hoppy
Old 26 September 2000, 03:57 PM
barge
Scooby Regular

During the petrol shortage I filled up with NUL at 95 Ron, I added 2 bottles of Octane booster which said it would raise the octane from between 2 - 5 points per 40L. So I guess that 2 bottles would up it by 4 - 10 points so I would have been on 99 - 105 octane, When driving the car was very nice, went like stink and have never felt so strong and willing.

at 1/2 a tank I put 97 SUL in and have ever since and the performance has gone back to how it used to be, but it was fun, I think I'll do 30L's next time of SUL + 2 bottles at my next visit to the POD just to see what happens.

After all its only money !!!
Old 26 September 2000, 04:33 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

How much is everybody paying for Millers?
I too used it for the first time during the petrol crisis and was very pleased with the results, but at £4.29 for a 50 litre treatment, i blooming well ought to have been!! Anybody paying less than that?

Terry

Trending Topics

Old 26 September 2000, 04:38 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

If you put your normal fill up amout of petrol, but less one gallon, you would have about paid for it anyway

Old 26 September 2000, 04:59 PM
Rich_R
Scooby Regular

OK - So people use octane booster on jap imports as they were designed to run 100 RON fuel hence increase in performance.

What happens (if anything) when used on UK spec cars which are designed to run 95-97?

What about a UK car with breathing mods and no catalytic converter?

Nothing I guess? Am I right?

Cheers,
Rich.
Old 26 September 2000, 05:03 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Nimbus,

Er, yes, but one little bottle of Millers doesn't do 25 mpg!!

Terry
Old 26 September 2000, 06:30 PM
gavwright
Scooby Regular

£2.50 + VAT for one bottle (50l treatment) - Auto Tecnica, Huddersfield. Just bought a box of ten a few days ago. Vroom vroom!
I run a MY00, UK spec - on super, with octane booster every now and again to give it a kick. I used to put Aldon octane booster in my 106 Rallye, along with SUL. That was quite impressive......1 litre bottle for 100 gallons....in a 45 gallon tank :-) Mind you, I wasn't running a cat on that car, and it wasn't a turbo.
Impressions so far - I *seem* to be getting more mpg, but I'm only quarter the way through my first tank with it in - engine is running fine, and gives a nice strong kick. No problems at all detected.

Gav (6 week old MY00)
Old 26 September 2000, 06:36 PM
MatthewR
Scooby Regular

Usually works out around £3 per bottle when buying in bulk. That is for the newer Millers Octane Plus (with or without cats).

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by TelBoy:
<B>How much is everybody paying for Millers?
I too used it for the first time during the petrol crisis and was very pleased with the results, but at £4.29 for a 50 litre treatment, i blooming well ought to have been!! Anybody paying less than that?

Terry[/quote]

Old 27 September 2000, 11:57 PM
Bright Kar
Scooby Regular

barge,

interesting post !

Sounds like fun, got to get around to ordering some (no online ordering - dont get chance in the day).

General,

Wonder if using one of them things you put in the fuel tank will make as much difference (wish I could remember what it is called). They are about £150, so thats only 50 octane boosters for something that survives for the life of the car.

bkar
Old 28 September 2000, 08:00 AM
Neil F
Scooby Regular

The tank insert is called Broquet and I hear that they are a fitment in EVOs and P1s.
I used to use Pro Boost in my STi (a definite improvement) but have now gone across to Millers.
Chuckster put me on to ARE in Farnham. They do a mail order; 10 bottles for £30 delivered (half the price of Pro Boost and apparently better as the engine runs cooler).
ARE are on 01252-711777 and they deliver within a couple of days.

Neil.

PS. See my reply on subject "97+ RON Fuel" posted by "AWD" for a report on how we are getting striped up for SUL.
Old 28 September 2000, 12:27 PM
Mr.Cookie
Scooby Regular

Talking

Answer to the question is not 42 but BROKET think someone on scoobynet deals in them

Simon