Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tesco - instant engine transplant!

Search this Thread

Old 25 September 2005, 08:46 PM
markus_UK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Tesco - instant engine transplant!

Yo all.

I have a WRX (MY 04) with PPP, overall very please with it. I must confess I have been a bit disappointed with performance of late – but put that down to it needing its 2nd service (its on 19500 miles).

I have never really been one to bother too much about fuel – although I have filled up with Optimax when ever I can. To be honest I have never really noticed the difference between Optimax and other ‘super unleaded fuels’, although I have noticed when on a couple of occasions I have had to use normal unleaded (engine was really very rough and naff).

Anyway, I ended up in a Tesco petrol station earlier today (not a deliberate choice – just fate), and ended up filling up with the ‘new’ 99 Octane fuel. This was in Reading and cost 92.9 pence a litre (about 8 pence cheaper then Shell Optimax). Then needed to do about 80 miles - thought nothing about the fill up ...

Well!!!! – OMG – I KNOW this could be a placebo effect – but what a difference. The engine was smoother. The turbo pick up seemed earlier. The power seemed higher. The engine overall seemed … happier !!!

And all this for the price of normal unleaded in most Shell and BP garages.

Well Happy!

Mark
Old 25 September 2005, 08:53 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

I'd be very suprised if you would get much of a difference with 1 tankful. Something to do with the ECU needing to reset to the higher octain fuel, or something like that. Me think's it's all just in your head. When you buy new trainers can you run faster?
Old 25 September 2005, 08:56 PM
markus_UK
Scooby Regular

Stilover ...

Yep .. I must admit it could be the Placebo effect - except that my wife drove the car this evening and asked had it been serviced. I had driven 80 'hard' miles and I swear it feels better - but perhaps its all in my head ....

M
Old 25 September 2005, 10:54 PM
Anders_WR1
Scooby Regular

I've been running the stuff for a month and believe it's better than Optimax. The car seems to pull better between 5.5 to 7K. Noticed an improvement when the weather was warm a few weeks ago too. I'm sure it was holding boost better than Optimax.

I wonder if Tesco 99RON is actually more like 99.6, as Optimax is supposed to be 98.6?

Anders
Old 26 September 2005, 06:16 PM
skoosh
Scooby Regular

Perhaps during the 80 mile thrash, you managed to dislodge the uncooked king edward potato from the tailpipe................

Do notice a difference when forced to use BP ultimate.......IT RUNS LIKE ****......!

si. - OPTIMAX EVERY TIME AND ONLY 95p IN STOKE.
Old 26 September 2005, 06:59 PM
minted_aye
Scooby Regular

Talking

Tried the tesco stuff, and I am afraid to say car started jumping etc, went back to optimax and a week later was still the same, put some hotshot stuff in from Halfords "just the once", and its been fine and running on optimax

Originally Posted by markus_UK
Yo all.

I have a WRX (MY 04) with PPP, overall very please with it. I must confess I have been a bit disappointed with performance of late – but put that down to it needing its 2nd service (its on 19500 miles).

I have never really been one to bother too much about fuel – although I have filled up with Optimax when ever I can. To be honest I have never really noticed the difference between Optimax and other ‘super unleaded fuels’, although I have noticed when on a couple of occasions I have had to use normal unleaded (engine was really very rough and naff).

Anyway, I ended up in a Tesco petrol station earlier today (not a deliberate choice – just fate), and ended up filling up with the ‘new’ 99 Octane fuel. This was in Reading and cost 92.9 pence a litre (about 8 pence cheaper then Shell Optimax). Then needed to do about 80 miles - thought nothing about the fill up ...

Well!!!! – OMG – I KNOW this could be a placebo effect – but what a difference. The engine was smoother. The turbo pick up seemed earlier. The power seemed higher. The engine overall seemed … happier !!!

Well Happy!

Mark
Old 26 September 2005, 07:16 PM
v8voodoo
Scooby Regular

I'm going to agree with Markus here. MY03 WRX, I'm on my second tankful of Tescos best and the car seems much smoother and more responsive...?

Trending Topics

Old 26 September 2005, 07:22 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The newage ECU's are much more advanced regarding ignition advance/retarding etc for better fuels. They shouldnt need a reset, as they are trying to advance (for that specific encountered rpm) as much as they can every time you complete a whole or part rpm cycle (so I have been informed).

Regards,
Shaun.
Old 26 September 2005, 07:33 PM
andypugh2000
Scooby Regular

I have just completed 3 tanks of tesco and one tank of optimax, IMHO shell should be worried, tesco stuff rocks
Old 26 September 2005, 07:40 PM
minted_aye
Scooby Regular

Thats it I will give this stuff another go.....................................

Originally Posted by andypugh2000
I have just completed 3 tanks of tesco and one tank of optimax, IMHO shell should be worried, tesco stuff rocks
Old 26 September 2005, 08:25 PM
scarey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markus_UK
Yo all.

Well Happy!

Mark

where in Reading please?
Old 26 September 2005, 08:36 PM
porlkertus
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by v8voodoo
I'm going to agree with Markus here. MY03 WRX, I'm on my second tankful of Tescos best and the car seems much smoother and more responsive...?
Ditto - Same car, same fuel, same result =)
Old 26 September 2005, 08:39 PM
pmarch
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scarey
where in Reading please?
Could only be the main superstore next to River Thames by Kings Meadow - off of Vastern Road roundabout, past BMW garage and down to end of that road past new yuppie flats.

Might give it a go next time I'm there if it's 92.9p a litre - Optimax is 99.9p in Wokingham.

URZ
Old 26 September 2005, 08:45 PM
markus_UK
Scooby Regular

Scarey - '..where in Reading..'

Its at the big Tesco store (Hyper Market), not that far from the main station. I can not remember the name of the road but its off a big roundabout (the one before the bridge before the mini roundabout that takes you to the station!). Its down a road to nowhere (i.e. the road just leads to Tesco).

MArk
Old 26 September 2005, 08:47 PM
LegacySTi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
I'd be very suprised if you would get much of a difference with 1 tankful. Something to do with the ECU needing to reset to the higher octain fuel, or something like that. Me think's it's all just in your head. When you buy new trainers can you run faster?
Yeah the new imprezas ECU updates itself every 15 mins or somthing. So not like old ones where you've to reset it. So possible.
Old 26 September 2005, 08:55 PM
pmarch
Scooby Regular

The full Reading address is Napier Road, Reading, RG1 8DF and details on Tesco website - use 'store locator'.
Old 26 September 2005, 09:13 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

My 00MY UK Turbo loves 99RON when I can get it. The other thing to bear in mind this last week is the drop in temerature. Driving home at 3am on Sun morning left me feeling my car had been rejuvinated
Old 29 September 2005, 04:30 PM
WR1 Ant
Scooby Regular

Used tesco 99 for 2-3 months Will not use anything else now great stuff.
Old 30 September 2005, 08:53 PM
speedy1
Scooby Regular

Been using it since about May/June, much better than OPTIMAX plus the consumption is soooooooooo much better.
Old 30 September 2005, 09:16 PM
explore
Scooby Regular

car feels so much better also normaly fill it with 95 ron which gets me 180-190 tops and 99 ron gets me 230-240 this is from the top to the moment the light comes on
Old 30 September 2005, 10:45 PM
tarmacterrorist
Scooby Regular

Anyone tried Tesco in a jap import STI ver 5 ?
Old 01 October 2005, 04:12 PM
Smatt
Scooby Regular

I have been using Tesco99 in my 04sti for a few months now. I agree that it is definately better on performance & economy. I tinkered with optimax for a while & could never tell the difference apart from price. Before the Tesco99 came out I used Sainsbury sul. I only use BP, Esso or Shell when I can't get the above.
Living in Basingstoke I have tried to make my journeys via Winchester, as they have sold it from the outset. Now it is on sale at Newbury, it's even easier.