Sponsored by:

Thule roof bars and bikes

Search this Thread

Old 24 September 2005, 05:47 PM
msp1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Thule roof bars and bikes

Considering getting the Thule aero bars (861), foot pack (750), fitting kit (1210) and Proride bike carriers.

How many bikes can I safely fit on the roof?

Would like to carry 2 adult bikes and 2 childrens. What other options are there?

Mike
Old 24 September 2005, 06:05 PM
chrome
Scooby Regular

interested to know this..
I was always under the impression that the racks would dent the roof as the panel is so bloody thin
Old 24 September 2005, 06:22 PM
Scratch
Scooby Senior

Roof bars are rated for a vertain weight, you'll have to refer to the limits for the particlar bars, and IIRC also to the allowable load for the roof rails if it's a wagon.

Each bike carrier is also rated for a certain load.

So, you need to know how much your bikes weigh, and how much each part of the rack/bars can hold.

I have carried 2 adult bikes and a half width roof box on the roof of my wagon before without problem if that helps
Old 25 September 2005, 11:02 AM
msp1
Scooby Regular

Think the roof rails are rated for 60Kg. Haven't bought the bikes yet so don't know the weight. Has anyone managed to squeeze 4 bikes on a 120cm roof rail?

Mike
Old 25 September 2005, 11:20 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Mine's a classic. I have the Subaru roof bars, which were a pain to fit first time, but now go on in around 5 minutes with two people to lift the rack into place. Once fitted they are VERY secure, and lock into place at all 4 fitting points. The locking mechanism was part of the supplied bars, not extra, as some are..............worth checking.

The Scoob bars fit into the two channels on the roof where the roof is reinforced to take them.

I have four cycle carriers fitted to mine: three cheap ones which carry the cycles upright, bought from a French supermarket for £10 each. They do the job, and are now around 10 years old, they were used on two other cars before the Scoob. They have been Hammerited in Black, and all bolts etc for pivots replaced with stainless ones, using stainless washers and nylock nuts.

I replaced the OE handles which tightened the clamp onto the bike's downtube with TWO (one for each outer bike) lockable replacements, which I bought for £5 a go at a Decathlon in France. This means that if the whole kit is left at, say a motorway services, the bikes are secure. If leaving for a long time, however, I do tend to put a 5m Kryptonite cable and a D lock in place too

Once the bikes are up on them, I use releasable zip ties in pairs of double length (two fastened together make up each "one"), to tie the bike's front forks to the arms holding the bike's down tube. This has the effect of keeping the forks rigid, and the whole bike now will not budge. Otherwise the forks sort of jiggle from side to side as speed builds up.

The other rack is a Thule "front wheel out" type, very good, easy to use, BUT: dear to buy, and you need to find somewhere for the wheel you took out. I bought it because my eldest's bike had an odd (irregular hexagonal) shaped down tube. It locks as part of the deal.

In order to fit 4 adult bikes up, it is better (but not absolutely necessry) to remove all pedals, (remember to pack a 15mm spanner to replace 'em), and I turn the handle bars through 90 degrees so that they lie ALONG the line of the bike, then nip 'em up again with ther Allen key. It stops 'em both interfering with the next bike, causing damage, and clunking noises when in motion.

Have used this set up over long distances with no problems.

HTH

Alcazar
Old 25 September 2005, 06:38 PM
msp1
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the detailed reply. With 4 bikes on the roof what speed do you do on the motorway and do you have to reduce your cornering speed considerably ie do you have to tip toe round bends?

Cheers
Mike
Old 25 September 2005, 07:23 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

I had 4 bikes on my MY01 faceing alternate ways

plenty of wind noise but otherwise I didn't slow at all
Old 25 September 2005, 08:18 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Ah yes, forgot to say mount the bikes facing alternate ways

Had mine up to silly speeds on French motorways, it's certainly OK at any legal speed.

Cornering? Same thing really, just remember they are there and you aren't in a WRC round!

Alcazar
Old 06 October 2005, 07:06 PM
orbv
Scooby Regular

Used to carry 3x bikes without a problem. If I needed to could get a forth on.

Have my original subaru bars for sale if your interested?
Old 07 October 2005, 08:22 AM
Sport160
Scooby Regular

For a new age you can go with the next size up bars if you want, they fit fine. The other option would to consider a towbar mounted 4 bike carrier, undoubtably more expensive but leaves the roof free if you (like me) need to fit a roof box as well.

Rgds
Neil