Mystery Noise from dashboard

Search this Thread

Old 22 September 2005, 10:48 AM
fisherpl
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Mystery Noise from dashboard

Hi,

I have a low pitched chime coming from the instrument cluster area of my MY04 UK WRX Wagon.

It started during a track day I've just been on and is still doing it. It does not seem related to how hard you drive the car as It will do it intermittently while the car is parked with the engine idling, although it does seem to be more frequent during decelleration.

The Subaru dealer is mystified. The manual is no help and as a last shot I spoke to RAC Trackstar to see if it was anything to do with their black box. No joy.

Has anybody any clues? It sounds like it is coming from a speaker which cuts in momentarily before the chime occurs and is not unlike the tone from a mobile phone keypad tone via a handsfree set, but it is not coming from the stereo speakers.

Help!
Old 22 September 2005, 04:16 PM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Location: I'm still around in deepest Essex, now with a Fiesta ST-2

Could it be something to do with the seatbelt warning chime playing up ? is it a similar sound ?
Old 23 September 2005, 09:04 AM
fisherpl
Scooby Regular

IN THE STICKS

Yes, it could be although the tone is lower and no seatbelt warning lamp lit up.
Old 23 September 2005, 10:59 AM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

In my experience (had a recent electrical problem) the Subaru dealers are as much use as a catflap in a submarine when it comes to anything out of the ordinary . They can service them or unplug a part and plug in a new one but when it comes to anything a little unusual they havn't got a clue . It may be worth you taking it into a specilaist auto electrician to see if they can give you any help , but if you are still under warranty I'ld insist the dealer gets it sorted for you even if it means them taking it elsewhere . If you are up tp it, it maybe worth having a look yourself , the dash is pretty easy to remove in parts and you maybe able to find the noise .I did this when I had an electrical short coming from the trackstar , they (trackstar) replaced the unit which made no difference , I followed the wires all around the dash until I found a battery backup box , unplugged this and it was fine so phoned trackstar and after getting past the thick pleb on customer services I spoke to their technician's and got a new battery box sent out to me , and no problem since . I could have saved myself 3 trips to the dealer and 3 call outs from Subaru assist if I'ld done it myself in the first place

Dave
Old 23 September 2005, 07:00 PM
fisherpl
Scooby Regular

Talking

In The Sticks.

I was in front of you! I have already had the dash in bits and guess what.... the Trackstar is in there, up under the instrument binnacle. It looks like it was wired in by Attila the ******* Hun!

The cigarette packet sized black box was the culprit of the beep. Rang Trackstar (who previously said it couldn't be their box making a noise and asked them to test it.

Can't make a noise? My a**se! When they call it, it rings like a mobile and says "incoming call" and when they've done testing it says "call ended" Not bad for a box that "can't possibly make a noise, sir"

Anyway, since they tested it as working OK it hasn't made a murmur but it's booked back in with Attila for a wiring check next week!

Thanks anyway!
Old 26 September 2005, 01:28 PM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fisherpl
In The Sticks.

I was in front of you! I have already had the dash in bits and guess what.... the Trackstar is in there, up under the instrument binnacle. It looks like it was wired in by Attila the ******* Hun!

The cigarette packet sized black box was the culprit of the beep. Rang Trackstar (who previously said it couldn't be their box making a noise and asked them to test it.

Can't make a noise? My a**se! When they call it, it rings like a mobile and says "incoming call" and when they've done testing it says "call ended" Not bad for a box that "can't possibly make a noise, sir"

Anyway, since they tested it as working OK it hasn't made a murmur but it's booked back in with Attila for a wiring check next week!

Thanks anyway!
Another winner from Trackstar then What a pile of sh*t they are !!!I hope Attila sorts your wiring out for you ...good luck

Dave