will a 95 wrx run on crap fuel

Search this Thread

Old 21 September 2005, 06:01 PM
overlord
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry will a 95 wrx run on crap fuel

Hi all
I have just herd that no petrol garages on the isle of wight will be able to get sul.Now im not sure how true this is but would it be possible to run on 95ron with out it doing any damage?
Old 21 September 2005, 06:03 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by overlord
Hi all
I have just herd that no petrol garages on the isle of wight will be able to get sul.Now im not sure how true this is but would it be possible to run on 95ron with out it doing any damage?
Not really mate. Best thing to do would be get a re-map for 95ron
Old 21 September 2005, 06:03 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

........or buy lots of octane boost!!!!!!
Old 21 September 2005, 06:05 PM
WRXtra power
Scooby Regular

NO!!!! Not unless you add a few bottles of octane booster with every fill up. You need 100ron fuel in that car. You would be better of getting it re-mapped for UK fuel. Would probably work out lots cheaper in the long run and will preserve your engine.
Old 21 September 2005, 06:08 PM
scoobfan
Scooby Regular

Re-map bud

Rob
Old 21 September 2005, 06:09 PM
overlord
Scooby Regular

**** now not only do I have to pay £40 to get off this island I now have to get a remap.
cheers

Russell
Old 21 September 2005, 06:14 PM
Nick_Cat
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm often on the IoW and have never found SuL, always make sure I have a full tank before getting on the Red Funnel.
Nick
Old 21 September 2005, 06:42 PM
axgt_bwaii
Scooby Regular

er......... yer it will be fine as long as you dont go off on a mad one using full boost!

stew
Old 21 September 2005, 07:02 PM
Normski
Scooby Regular

Location: Stirlingshire; Wrx type RA STi version 2 V-Limited; #097/555

The answer to your question depends on how you drive the car. The car will run fine on 95ron as long as you don't have the car on boost.

But if you want to use the performance of the car (and who doesn't), it'll need re-mapped to compensate for the lower octane. Or some sort of octane booster will be needed.
Old 21 September 2005, 07:09 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Its worse than that; you cant 're-map' a 1995 WRX and cheap ScoobyECUs havent been available for years. Some companies will supply what they call a ScoobyECU (similar IC which fits in a soldered-on socket on the PCB) but the cost will shock you. A better option will be an A'Pexi PowerFC fitted and mapped by Andy Forrest for £750 (not a deal dearer but a damned sight better).

As has been stated, a 1995 WRX, be it a TD05 or a TD04 car, will not run on 95RON fuel; You WILL either hole a piston (my bets on number 3 which has the least fuel pressure), or run your big end bearings.

Simon
Old 21 September 2005, 07:10 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my 95 wrx runs fine on optimax (98 ron) I tried 97 ron esso super once and it detted badly. 95 ron will defo cause damage given time.
I really would advise a remap if you want to put your toe down.
Old 21 September 2005, 07:21 PM
scoobfan
Scooby Regular

oop's, missed the age of the car !

Apexi Power FC is the way to go, fully programable so you can make the
most of any futre mods !!!

Also allows you to run different maps, great fun.

Rob
Old 21 September 2005, 07:57 PM
flat4_ire
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobfan
Re-map bud

Rob
crappy advice lad as usual, the 95 wrx shud run on 95 ok, my friend has been runnin his 95 wrx import on 95 for god knows how long with NO booster, and she runs ok with a full decat and this motor has 200,000 klms on it!! theres real life evidence
Old 21 September 2005, 08:11 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Id advise you to disregard the above advice; which is poor*. The 1995 WRXs ECU does not have the range of adjustment required to deal with fuel with such a low octane rating. Put simply it cant retard the ignition enough to prevent detonation and it will detonate as soon as it comes on boost if its a TD05 car. If its a 'Wagon it wont be quite as bad but itll still eat itself.

Simon

*surely you realise that one car not f*cking up doesnt outweigh the facts?
Old 21 September 2005, 08:18 PM
flat4_ire
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
Id advise you to disregard the above advice; which is poor*. The 1995 WRXs ECU does not have the range of adjustment required to deal with fuel with such a low octane rating. Put simply it cant retard the ignition enough to prevent detonation and it will detonate as soon as it comes on boost if its a TD05 car. If its a 'Wagon it wont be quite as bad but itll still eat itself.

Simon

*surely you realise that one car not f*cking up doesnt outweigh the facts?
man i could name **** loads of guys i know who run their scoobs on 95, some use booster and some dont..and il tell you one thing here that is the gods honest truth and maybe some of you should read it.. not one of the 10+ guys i know who have import scoobs have EVER had anywhere near the amount of problems with their engines etc than most of you guys on here have!! thats all im saying ok? these are facts not bullshhit ok,simple as..and yeah i know that particular case is just one but its an import 95 wrx with 200,000 klms on it and has had NO engine probs running on 95ron, is that fair enough with you MR GC8??!!!
Old 21 September 2005, 10:41 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

With regards to the above i agree with gc8 - i have knock link and can SEE the difference fuel grade makes to knock. But on the other hand i too have witness to a mate running a 93 wrx on 95 ron with no probs...................................

so far

If you like to drive your cars hard like i do then sticking 95 ron in 95 wrx with a decat is going to end in tears imo eventually.
I chuckled when you said your mate was a girl which suggests its been driven like a girl.....or ps lewis lol...mr 48 mpg man and 60k on original brake pads.

Andy
Old 22 September 2005, 02:32 PM
scoobfan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by flat4_ire
crappy advice lad as usual, the 95 wrx shud run on 95 ok, my friend has been runnin his 95 wrx import on 95 for god knows how long with NO booster, and she runs ok with a full decat and this motor has 200,000 klms on it!! theres real life evidence
Just because you live in Ireland and they have crap petrol does not mean that
you can drive your car on it.

Telling people they will be OK using 95 RON on an import is wrong, try reading any decent tuners manual and they will tell you the same, that is fact.

Rob

Last edited by scoobfan; 22 September 2005 at 02:48 PM.
Old 22 September 2005, 03:28 PM
New_scooby_04

To quote David of API (who rebuilds lots of import engines)

"Wrong octane fuel - BANG"

Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon.....and for the rest of your life :-)

You'll need that remap if you want the car to run safely.

NS04
Old 22 September 2005, 05:42 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We supply and fit a board in the ECu that is generically known as the 'Scoobyecu' ; it gets mapped by Pat Herborn and is very popular for coil pack type cars, be they WRX or STi. Costs by pm if you are interested.

ANY imported Impreza will detonate and eventually blow either a piston or the big ends on anything less than best SUL. They are mapped for 100 ron, some quite aggressively so, and some cope with the change downwards better than others, but generally you are playing Russian roulette on cheapo fuel.

Once remapped, however, the engine will only fail for regular reasons and not just through putting unsuitable fuel in it.

My recommendation would be to try to arrive at your preferred mappers [ hopefully APi ] with your typical fuel in the tank, especially if living on the I O W, remap to suit and then only need to put in Booster when you want a bit better performance or intend to give the car a good hiding.

Do not believe for one minute it will be safe on regular unleaded, 'cos it won't.

Good luck overlord if you want a chat about this call me.

David APi Engines / APi Impreza
www.apiengines.com
Old 22 September 2005, 06:21 PM
flat4_ire
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by APIDavid
We supply and fit a board in the ECu that is generically known as the 'Scoobyecu' ; it gets mapped by Pat Herborn and is very popular for coil pack type cars, be they WRX or STi. Costs by pm if you are interested.

ANY imported Impreza will detonate and eventually blow either a piston or the big ends on anything less than best SUL. They are mapped for 100 ron, some quite aggressively so, and some cope with the change downwards better than others, but generally you are playing Russian roulette on cheapo fuel.

Once remapped, however, the engine will only fail for regular reasons and not just through putting unsuitable fuel in it.

My recommendation would be to try to arrive at your preferred mappers [ hopefully APi ] with your typical fuel in the tank, especially if living on the I O W, remap to suit and then only need to put in Booster when you want a bit better performance or intend to give the car a good hiding.

Do not believe for one minute it will be safe on regular unleaded, 'cos it won't.

Good luck overlord if you want a chat about this call me.

David APi Engines / APi Impreza
www.apiengines.com
so over 10 years ago the wrx was mapped on 100ron???
Old 22 September 2005, 06:25 PM
flat4_ire
Scooby Regular

Telling people they will be OK using 95 RON on an import is wrong, try reading any decent tuners manual and they will tell you the same, that is fact.

Rob
right ok, once again for the people like rob who are incapable of reading properly! i have stated facts, rob thats F A C T S for you ok?
thats all, all true things ive said, so is that alright with you? jesus christ just put whatever damn fuel u want in the car ok
goodluck
Old 22 September 2005, 06:27 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Youve actually raised a good point there. A 1995 WRX wasnt designed to run on 100+RON fuel, however Japanese 'Premium' grade fuel did have a higher octane rating than anything that we can easily buy..... (with the possible exception of Tesco '99Octane'; -depending on its true RON rating-).

Simon
Old 22 September 2005, 07:03 PM
555)
Scooby Regular

can tell you one thing for sure

it won't run on diesel
Old 22 September 2005, 07:15 PM
scoobfan
Scooby Regular

right ok, once again for the people like rob who are incapable of reading properly! i have stated facts, rob thats F A C T S for you ok?
thats all, all true things ive said, so is that alright with you? jesus christ just put whatever damn fuel u want in the car ok
goodluck
Put's dummy back in !!

Rob
Old 22 September 2005, 07:56 PM
flat4_ire
Scooby Regular

Put's dummy back in !!

Rob
ehh yeah that was a great reply u tosser
Old 22 September 2005, 09:57 PM
sti-spec-a
Scooby Regular

I believe a major cause of import WRX's going bang is not the fuel quality but the smallish top mount intercooler losing all efficiency over 100mph. Due to Japanese Law the imports were designed to shut down at 180 km/h {112mph} and the first thing we do when we get them over here is change the speedo output to read in miles per hour. This effectively moves the 112mph limiter on the ECU up to 180mph. Over 100mph, especially on the early cars, the intake charge slowly rises due to the brick shape front end and small aperature that the intercooler has to rely on to get air to pass through the intercooler. Fit an air temp meter to the intercooler/throttle and watch it slowly climb to quite scary figures when pushing on over the ton. I believe this in conjunction with the poor positioning of the fuel pressure regulator is biggest reason why the JDM cars go bang in this country and not down to the grade of fuel

It was never in the JDM cars design brief to exceed 112mph and thier priority was accelaration. The UK/Euro cars had a design brief/spec that had to include high speed runs over 112mph and this could only be achieved with any reliability by resrticting the ignition advance/power output to the 215bhp region. This level of timing advance/power output, along with more sensitive knock correction and longer gearing, would give the performance car type figures and keep the Subaru reliabilty trait intact. When Subaru introduced the Turbo 2000 to the UK in 94 they could have quite easily to save money just straight imported the JDM cars and developed a ECU that would give close to JDM power output on our fuel but i believe this would have put thier whole reliabilty reputation on the line. So they gave the UK cars a more sensitive but softened down ECU, to cope with UK fuel grade variations, and longer gearing, to give the higher top speed.

Another factor to consider is the imperfections from both seemingly identical designs of engine. An example would be my car running a Zerosports ECU, one of the most aggressively mapped ECU's on the JDM market, with very little activity on the Knocklink and fitting it to another similar modded car and the thing detting like mad. Small imperfections in the intercooler, throttle, manifold, cylinder head, etc would give seemingly identical specced designed engines to handle different levels of initial ignition advance

In the North West region of Scotland i know of at least 4 JDM WRX's and STI's that are still running on original ECU's and 95 ron fuel. This is due to the severe lack of Super Unleaded, let alone Optimax, from Glasgow all the way to Inverness. These guys know how to push on a bit and take advantage of the cracking roads that surround them but they have one vital thing missing, a motorway/dual carriageway type road type road where they can hold the car flat for any period of time. All of thier driving is hard pull through the gears stuff and i dont think the cars have been over the 110 mark due to them all, apart from 1, still running in kmh. 2 of the cars are running std boost levels and 2 are running above std boost and have only recieved normal plugs and oil type attention When i got my first JDM WRX i ran it on Texaco normal unleaded for just over a year with no problems until i was told to run it on Optimax or it will go bang. I religously followed this advise until i visited the Emerald Isle and found that Optimax was not available. After 2 weeks of quality driving around Mallow in the South East of Eire, the best grade of fuel i could find was, IIRC was 96 RON, V Power. The car showed no increase in activity on the Knocklink and this was running on a JDM Zerosports ECU which runs a lot of timing over the std JDM map.

In response to the callers original question as long as you have some method of viually detecting/monitoring DET then use whatever grade of fuel keeps the knock suppressed within your normal driving style. If the car is detting then increase the octane level until the knock calms down to a level you are comfortable with.

Grant

Last edited by sti-spec-a; 22 September 2005 at 10:02 PM.
Old 22 September 2005, 11:15 PM
scoobfan
Scooby Regular

ehh yeah that was a great reply u tosser
Why thankyou !

Rob
Old 22 September 2005, 11:25 PM
LegacySTi
Scooby Regular

Rob
i live in ireland and yes 95ron ****ty petrol and a japo car equals melted piston. Defo Apexi power fc the way to go. Don't mind people saying you'll be fine. Apexi cheaper then engine. Don't mine that @flat four ire muppet. Not all of us over here are that stupid and ignorant!

Last edited by LegacySTi; 22 September 2005 at 11:49 PM.
Old 22 September 2005, 11:36 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

Some good points there above. But does not beat the fact that i can see increased knocklink activity which will not go away (i.e ecu can not compensate enough) no matter how long i wait (couple of tanks) if i put anything but optimax in my classic. Its fact that knock increases big end bearing wear. Even if i use optimax i can still get the very odd yellow if i drive the car like i stole it.
Ill carry on using optimax thanks. I see better performance also.
Took my car upto 120mph today (private road) and saw 1 green on the knocklink. So IC seems to be ok for that. Agree IC may fall short 120 plus

Andy
Old 22 September 2005, 11:37 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

p.s people who say 95 is ok are usually the people who have not lost an engine to det....................

yet.

Quick Reply: will a 95 wrx run on crap fuel