DOH.....Exhaust dilemma.

Search this Thread

Old 10 September 2005, 08:27 PM
skoosh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DOH.....Exhaust dilemma.

Evening all, here we go then:

Bought my 96 uk turbo wagon 2.5 years ago. It came with scoobysport b/box and centre decat pipe ( 2 pce ). Liked the noise at first but after attending a few meets I decided that I wanted more rumble, so, I fitted a decat H&S downpipe. Not enough rumble, bought a Ninja, liked it at first but a little too tinny sounding.

Did a swap for a Firestorm, loved that but got annoyed with the volume with me having a wagon, especially on longer runs, so, I put scoobysport back on and that was better for a while. Today, I purchased a TSL decat centrepipe, expecting a little more rumble but it's not quite there..........!

I like the look of the s/sport b/box as it's not an OTT looking thing but still don't have the rumble I desire.

I've noticed that TSL have various boxes for sale as used items and they have a Drager backbox......how loud are these and will they give me the low-pitched rumble that I'm after on tickover and low revs. S/sport sounds awesome on full chat but not lowdown.

Any ideas on what b/b would suit me?

Si.
Old 10 September 2005, 08:47 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

I did something similar

1)Had a tsl stright thru centre + scoobysport (original mark 1 1998 vintage) - nice but not enough

2) Swap scoobysport for firestorm - great sound but too loud inside due to ra noise suppression (lack of it)

3) Swap straight centre for tsl quieter resonated centre + firestorm - still loud but quieter inside and sounds the business

still have front cat but had a few owner in the car who say its louder than their full decat. I blame that on the type ra no noise suppression though
Old 10 September 2005, 08:52 PM
skoosh
Scooby Regular

Ayup Chris, is there a physical difference between resonated and decatted centre sections, ie:will I be able to notice by just looking at it?

Pretty sure that my "new" centre is decatted.

Really want that low down rumble on tickover that some jap boxes give.

Is the Super Drager louder than a Firestorm?

Si.
Old 10 September 2005, 08:56 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

you can see the resonator in the exhaust, there are two type straight thru just a standard pipe and a resonated one which has a bulge. Cant really tell just looking at it on the car.

The drager is louder iirc had mine tested recently so I can sprint it and it was 101db
Old 10 September 2005, 10:15 PM
Big-G
Scooby Regular

Hi,
Just changed my exhaust for this setup on my 96 JDM Wagon:-

Scoobyworld Afterburner De-cat Centre Section (no resonator, no cat) with
a TSL Tornado backbox.
This backbox comes with a detachable muffler so that if you need to make it quieter you just plug it into the tailpipe and fasten it with a bolt.

I had to modify the heatshileld to get it fit (bend it up!), but that's only a small job.

Sound is excellent on tickover and incredible on acceleration.
You can sell your stereo and just listen to the exhaust.