Sponsored by:

tragic death

Search this Thread

Old 01 September 2005, 09:22 PM
addy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tragic death

Just seen a news report in my local paper about a young lad killed in a car crash on the a38.A spokesman said a man driving a red subaru impreza has been arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving.So many people have been hurt or killed on that road.Very sad
Old 01 September 2005, 09:32 PM
ben44
Scooby Regular

Very sad news.

Its a shame we have to expect it now that impreza prices are within reach of kids
Old 02 September 2005, 07:54 AM
TonyFlow
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ben44
Very sad news.

Its a shame we have to expect it now that impreza prices are within reach of kids
Why do we have to expect it?

I have had a scoob (turbo) since I was 21 (before that a 1.8GL Impreza), and never had a problem, in fact, I drive them safer than I did my 1l polo before them!

Not all "kids" are mentalists, in fact, I have seen more middle aged men driving like absolute fecking nutters in cars that are designed to go fast, and some that are not!
Old 02 September 2005, 09:13 AM
scoobfan
Scooby Regular

I'm not sure about the above, does it mean that the passenger was killed

in the Scoob and the driver had been arrested or that a Scoob was involved
in the death of a young lad in another car.
Rob
Old 02 September 2005, 09:30 AM
Nicci
Scooby Senior

There was a hit and run earlier in the week (near Luton) where a little boy was killed.

The scooby lost control on a high street.

These idiots are giving the rest of us a bad name.

It is tragic that people are losing their lives due to the stupidity of others.
Old 02 September 2005, 09:36 AM
scoobfan
Scooby Regular

It does seem crazy that you can learn to drive in a 1 litre fiesta pass
your test and then jump into a high powered car like the Impreza.

But like someone has said it's not just youngsters that drive like looneys,
i've seen some right dodery old farts driving like a demon !

Rob
Old 02 September 2005, 09:40 AM
Tasberley
Scooby Regular

i drive safer and slower than i did any of my other previous cars...
Old 02 September 2005, 09:52 AM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Well thats 2 people killed this week by Scoobs, their was one in Bedfordshire on Monday, the car had been stolen it killed an 18 month old baby and critically injured 2 women
Cheers
Colin

Sorry Nicci didn't see your post
Old 02 September 2005, 10:09 AM
jowl
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tasberley
i drive safer and slower than i did any of my other previous cars...
me too...When I was 18 I used to drive like a loonie - although that was in my dad's Rover 414.

Thankfully, I've calmed down a lot.

But just been watching a Program on BBc about learner drivers - there's some people on there who just shouldn't be allowed on the road - including a 77(?) year old who's failed 7 test,
Old 02 September 2005, 10:17 AM
Tripple'O G
Scooby Regular

I totally agree jowl......

I think there should be a limit on how many time's you can take a test.....
I mean if you're going to take it 5-10 times you're gonna fluke a pass arn't you.
If you don't pass it in say your first 5 test's, you weren't meant to drive and this would keep road congestion down, morons off the road and get back to the 60's when only people that could actually afford to drive and deal with the "joys of motoring" are out there.

I'm not saying driving should be for the rich, i'm saying that some people just arn't meant to drive.....

peace
Old 02 September 2005, 10:18 AM
Tripple'O G
Scooby Regular

cr@p pc

Last edited by Tripple'O G; 02 September 2005 at 10:19 AM. Reason: cr@p pc
Old 02 September 2005, 10:29 AM
Big Den
Scooby Regular

They should limit the type of cars you can buy with age as they do with motorbikes.

I can't honestly believe these younger guys (17-21) who get there hands on scoobs & other fast cars can actually afford the insurance.

I know of a 19 year old who has been driving for 18 months who got an insurance quote of between £2400 & £2900 for fully comp cover on a 2004 1.2 Fiesta (grp 3) with the TPF&T at ~ £1600!!!!! No accidents or convictions either before you ask & no it's not me.

Big Den
Old 02 September 2005, 10:47 AM
TonyFlow
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Big Den
They should limit the type of cars you can buy with age as they do with motorbikes.

I can't honestly believe these younger guys (17-21) who get there hands on scoobs & other fast cars can actually afford the insurance.
I disagree, I had a UK scoob @ 21, cost £1k to insure, and then went over to a STi Type R @ 22, similar costs to insure.

I feel that I drive safer than MANY people on the road (note I do not say I am a good driver etc, as tbh, I wouldn't win any rallies etc), and I feel that I always have!

Why should other people suffer, because a few tosspots on the road - I would not havebeen happy if @ 21 I was told I could not have a scoob because too many young people drive them like loonies - I FECKING DON'T, but thanks you kindly for making assumptions

As mentioned, I have had far more late 30/early 40 year olds try their damndest to "take on" the scoob than I have had young "chavs" (in fact, I cannot remember a younger person ever driving like a **** to "take the scoob out" - I just let 'em get on with it, I know my car is a little "punchy", so what have I got to prove!
Old 02 September 2005, 10:56 AM
Tripple'O G
Scooby Regular

I heard about that as it goes......

I think they scrapped the idea as then you'll end up getting the modding scene evolving into an uncontrilable monster.
I mean I bored out my 50cc back in the day to something a little quicker
and could you imagine the amount of bored out brown bonus fiesta's there would be??? not to mention the amount of cars that would have to be scrapped.

Shame no-one hadthe forsight back in the day to see what a mess the roads weregoing to get into......
Old 02 September 2005, 10:58 AM
Big Den
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyFlow
I disagree, I had a UK scoob @ 21, cost £1k to insure, and then went over to a STi Type R @ 22, similar costs to insure.

I feel that I drive safer than MANY people on the road (note I do not say I am a good driver etc, as tbh, I wouldn't win any rallies etc), and I feel that I always have!

Why should other people suffer, because a few tosspots on the road - I would not havebeen happy if @ 21 I was told I could not have a scoob because too many young people drive them like loonies - I FECKING DON'T, but thanks you kindly for making assumptions

As mentioned, I have had far more late 30/early 40 year olds try their damndest to "take on" the scoob than I have had young "chavs" (in fact, I cannot remember a younger person ever driving like a **** to "take the scoob out" - I just let 'em get on with it, I know my car is a little "punchy", so what have I got to prove!
Tony

No need to take my post so personal m8. My statement re: limiting the cars with age similar to motorbikes was aimed at reducing the overall problem - like with any rules in life, it doesn't always suit everyone that falls into the category.

I certainly did not assume that every younger driver behaves like a looney or indeed imply that - my comment was around affording the insurance & hence why I gave the example I did. What insurance company did you use & did you have to take a huge voluntary excess?

Chill out - I had Opel Mantas & MK2 RS2000's when I was 20 & 21.
Old 02 September 2005, 11:33 AM
TonyFlow
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Big Den
Tony

No need to take my post so personal m8. My statement re: limiting the cars with age similar to motorbikes was aimed at reducing the overall problem - like with any rules in life, it doesn't always suit everyone that falls into the category.

I certainly did not assume that every younger driver behaves like a looney or indeed imply that - my comment was around affording the insurance & hence why I gave the example I did. What insurance company did you use & did you have to take a huge voluntary excess?

Chill out - I had Opel Mantas & MK2 RS2000's when I was 20 & 21.
Sorry mate, didn't mean my post as a personal attack, it just winds me up that young drivers are considered as overly dangerous - tbh, I think that all age groups have their fair share of dangerous drivers.
I used Privilege at the time, and had an excess of £500 (which was compulsory being under 25).

I think that maybe a better option would be to have a higher level test that must be taken before you can drive a car with say over 200BHP - this should sort the chaff from the wheat for all age groups.

Admittedly, I do not like what some "youngsters" are doing with Scoobs (neons, w@nk bodykits etc), but at the end of the day, it will (and has) happened to most affordable performance cars, and if they like it, good on 'em, at least I don't have to drive it!
Old 02 September 2005, 11:47 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Very bad news indeed,both of them
Subarus are fast cars.young lads dream about owning/driving them.Once they get their hands on them, and they really abuse it.TBH many not so young ones do so too.They need to learn from this.My heart goes out to the mourning families