Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One for the anal oil changers...

Search this Thread

Old 04 August 2005, 11:47 PM
tath
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One for the **** oil changers...

hello all

Just done an oil change on the scoob after picking up some silkolene from opie at JAE. After much consideration and reading of threads, I decided I better not risk anything for the sake of a few minutes extra work. With this in mind, I pre-filled the oil filter (only 15minutes early Mr. Lewis), and located the crank sensor so I could turn her over first. Oil wise I asked oilman and took advice off here and went for a 15w-50 ester based oil.

Everything it seemed was tickety-boo. I found you don't need to even jack the car up BTW - everything is easy to reach from the front.

I changed the oil and filter, turned her over for a few seconds, let her settle, turned her over again, then checked the oil. Topped up a smidge, reconnected crank sensor, and took her round the block carefully. Rechecked, then took her out round town.

Everything seemed ok, up to temp, so I gave it a little bit on the way into the sticks. 7500rpm in 1st, 2nd, 3rd... when suddenly... A big thump and a clattery knock begins!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

WHAT HAVE I DONE WRONG???????????????????????

It definitely sounded like a big-end failure - it was much more apparent on light throttle. I was almost in tears I can tell you!! I even followed the moderate **** process!! I really thought God was laughing at me.

In a panic I creep to my mate's house for a 2nd opinion. He concurred, although he pointed out my exhaust had started blowing a bit.

The next day, we had a look under the car (possibly to try and ignore the bottom end problems lol) to try and fix the exhaust. And what did we find? The centre box had slipped on its joint to the downpipe (it's a sleeve aftermarket jobbie), until the centre box was touching the prop carrier!!! The noise was the box knocking against the carrier!!!!!! RESULT!!!! (albeit a d'oh one )

Anyway, just thought some of you might find this a bit amusing, and I needed to share the love with the SN brothers and sisters on my happy escape!!
Old 05 August 2005, 05:46 AM
Ian
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good work on your oil change, I dont know why every one makes such a big fuss about it for.
Old 05 August 2005, 06:32 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

15W50's a bit thick.

<flamesuit on>

Old 05 August 2005, 09:08 AM
Tall Paul
Scooby Regular

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooo............. ...... *

NOT ANOTHER OIL CHANGING THREAD!!!!!!!???????

WE HAVE AN 8 PAGER RUNNING ALREADY ABOUT OIL!!!!

PSLEWIS will HAVE to make a comment about this!!

For info: I recently changed my own oil. Yes I used Mobil 1 but I never pre filled the oil filter and did not crank the engine over first! Still running 1100 miles later!

Cheers
Old 05 August 2005, 09:23 AM
NEWBIEDOO
Scooby Newbie

why would a car manufacturer make it so difficult for the customer to carry out basic car maintenance? Are peoplepn here making it out to be a mystical complicated thing to change oil. or is it really that difficult.

Considering I am getting my first scooby today!

Steve
Old 05 August 2005, 09:27 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bubba po
15W50's a bit thick.

<flamesuit on>

Pot, kettle ?

Old 05 August 2005, 10:37 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tath
Everything it seemed was tickety-boo. I found you don't need to even jack the car up BTW - everything is easy to reach from the front.

!
You managed to remove the undertray without lifting the car??? - how skinny are you??
JohnD
Old 05 August 2005, 10:46 AM
TonyFlow
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JohnD
You managed to remove the undertray without lifting the car??? - how skinny are you??
JohnD
Who said the undertray is on the car (it isn't on mine) - Took it off to improve flow through engine bay!
Old 05 August 2005, 10:50 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NEWBIEDOO
why would a car manufacturer make it so difficult for the customer to carry out basic car maintenance? Are peoplepn here making it out to be a mystical complicated thing to change oil. or is it really that difficult.

Considering I am getting my first scooby today!

Steve
There is NOTHING difficult or scary about changing the oil and filter or most of the other servicing tasks for that matter. Everything is quite easy for the average DIY'er up to perhaps clutch or cambelt change. I suppose if you've never tackled such servicing tasks before, it might seem a bit daunting but the Impreza poses no real problems - plug change is a bit more involved than the average car but still not difficult.
JohnD
Old 05 August 2005, 10:57 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyFlow
Who said the undertray is on the car (it isn't on mine) - Took it off to improve flow through engine bay!
Tony
I did think there may not be a tray but got a sneaky feeling the guy has not been under the car before so maybe did'nt quite know what to expect? If there was no tray, he probably now knows there should have been one!
Tath - Was there a tray?
JohnD
Old 05 August 2005, 11:04 AM
dmc1980
Scooby Regular

Some of the crap on here really is ****. Car was due its 67500 mile service last month, got Mobile 1 oil, new oil filter and my bro (subaru mechanic) changed it for me in 20 mins. No fecking about with crank sensors, no **** priming. Just change the bloody stuff!!
Old 05 August 2005, 11:30 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dmc1980
Some of the crap on here really is ****. Car was due its 67500 mile service last month, got Mobile 1 oil, new oil filter and my bro (subaru mechanic) changed it for me in 20 mins. No fecking about with crank sensors, no **** priming. Just change the bloody stuff!!
I have to say that anyone who DOESN'T prime the filter is ****! It doesn't even take ANY time - you do it while the old oil is draining for Gods sake! Why wouldn't you do it? trying to prove a point? Don't forget it's not just the oil in the filter that has to be replaced when you start the engine, it's the oil above the filter that has been drained as well. When you start the engine this combined volume of air will be compressed and pushed through the bearings ahead of the fresh oil itself. Sure, a good oil will have the film strength to protect the bearings for a few seconds but why not cut that few seconds down to the absolute minimum!
JohnD
PS You would pay the dealership your bro works for around £80-90 per hour!! Mmmm!

Last edited by JohnD; 05 August 2005 at 11:37 AM.
Old 05 August 2005, 11:48 AM
STI Craig
Scooby Regular

ok i get it .......so if i do a oil change i have to do something to the exhaust to make sure it does`nt fall off ?????

whats that then???
Old 05 August 2005, 12:09 PM
Tall Paul
Scooby Regular

Angry

There is NOTHING difficult or scary about changing the oil and filter or most of the other servicing tasks for that matter. Everything is quite easy for the average DIY'er up to perhaps clutch or cambelt change. I suppose if you've never tackled such servicing tasks before, it might seem a bit daunting but the Impreza poses no real problems - plug change is a bit more involved than the average car but still not difficult.
JohnD
I have recently bought some new plugs...Would REALLY like to know how the hell I am going to change them....Need to have the hands of a 6 yr old. For me and my bloody great hands, could be a bit of a problem!!!
Old 05 August 2005, 03:01 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tall Paul
I have recently bought some new plugs...Would REALLY like to know how the hell I am going to change them....Need to have the hands of a 6 yr old. For me and my bloody great hands, could be a bit of a problem!!!
Drivers side: remove airbox, use a short extension bar on your socket and you should be OK. I recommend removing the rubber part of the socket that holds the plug, otherwise you may find that when you put your new plugs in, you can't get the socket off

Passenger side: remove washer bottle and you should get plenty of access.

Practice makes perfect.
Old 05 August 2005, 03:03 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tall Paul
Paul
It's a fiddly job and needs some removal of underbonnet items but there's nothing difficult, just takes longer than the average (conventional) car.
On the passender side remove the washer bottle - drain it first if possible as you need to disconnect the bottom tube. Hey presto! the plugs! On the drivers side you need to remove the air filter box - two bolts at the bottom - a socket with a long extension helps here. (you might as well check the air filter element while it's out?) You do need extension pieces on the plug socket to get to the plugs. As long as you have the tools it's OK!
JohnD
Old 05 August 2005, 04:02 PM
dmc1980
Scooby Regular

I have to say that anyone who DOESN'T prime the filter is ****! It doesn't even take ANY time - you do it while the old oil is draining for Gods sake! Why wouldn't you do it? trying to prove a point? Don't forget it's not just the oil in the filter that has to be replaced when you start the engine, it's the oil above the filter that has been drained as well. When you start the engine this combined volume of air will be compressed and pushed through the bearings ahead of the fresh oil itself. Sure, a good oil will have the film strength to protect the bearings for a few seconds but why not cut that few seconds down to the absolute minimum!
JohnD
PS You would pay the dealership your bro works for around £80-90 per hour!! Mmmm!
I wasnt talking about the priming of the oil filter, that was done dont worry. I was talking about all the other **** ****e that gets quoted on here!
Old 05 August 2005, 04:08 PM
tath
Scooby Regular

JohnD
undertray???? seriously?!
Old 05 August 2005, 04:41 PM
Tall Paul
Scooby Regular

Thanks JohnD and NotoriousREV for the help. Will give it a bash this weekend!!
Old 05 August 2005, 07:01 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

undertray???? seriously?!
There should be an undertray that goes from the front crossmember to the rear of the engine, where the gearbox starts, and another one a bit further back covering the rear of the gearbox. Design depends on the model year.
The only real reason to remove it other than at servicing time is to allow better cooling to the sump on trackdays. It's there to protect the engine/sump/exhaust etc and IMHO should be in place for road use.
JohnD
Old 05 August 2005, 07:05 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dmc1980
I wasnt talking about the priming of the oil filter, that was done dont worry. I was talking about all the other **** ****e that gets quoted on here!
It's the "**** priming" bit in your post that threw me!
JohnD
Old 06 August 2005, 01:25 AM
tath
Scooby Regular

There should be an undertray that goes from the front crossmember to the rear of the engine, where the gearbox starts, and another one a bit further back covering the rear of the gearbox. Design depends on the model year.
The only real reason to remove it other than at servicing time is to allow better cooling to the sump on trackdays. It's there to protect the engine/sump/exhaust etc and IMHO should be in place for road use.
JohnD
i've got an RA, and two of my mates have them as well and we have a total of zero undertrays between us ...
Old 06 August 2005, 11:57 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

i've got an RA, and two of my mates have them as well and we have a total of zero undertrays between us ...
Ahh - That may be something to do with it! "Race Altered" for lightness and increased cooling?

Can other RA owners confirm there is no tray?

JohnD