Sponsored by:

TVR after my STI8? which one?

Search this Thread

Old 22 July 2005, 12:02 AM
G_Sleigh_STi
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TVR after my STI8? which one?

Sadly i have decided that next year the scooby is going, i am going to have 1.5 years worth of fun with it (only got her 3 months ago), and i am not going to spend any more money tuning it any more.

Going to do some track days and events and then she is being chopped in end of next year

I have decided on these two...

What do we think is better?

TVR SAGARIS (2nd hand on 05 plate)
TVR T350 (new)

I cant afford the Sagaris new, so its got to be second hand, or the TVR T350 new. Which do you all think is the better looking car? And to anyone whos read plenty of reviews on them, which seems to perform beter.

The Sagris according to Clarkson destroys all past TVR's and is an awesome motorcar... that right we think?

I have heard many many times from reviews about interior build qualities being aweful.

But a Sagaris drove past me today from the local TVR dealer and it just like a shining becon as it drives down the street, it shadows everything. ****ing stunning car rolling in traffic!

which to go for?

Sagaris

T350

Old 22 July 2005, 08:47 AM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Made the same decision yesterday not to spend any money on my scoob, and sell it when hopefully the new shape scoob comes out.

if you can afford it, get a Sagaris but any TVR looks evil enough, but would it be you everyday car. Make sure you do your homework on these cars before buying, as I nearly bought a R-reg TVR Cerbera until I really thought about it.
Old 22 July 2005, 09:41 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

I had a couple of laps round the nurburgring in a T350 last weekend. I must say I was very impressed. I had expected quite a sedate lap as the driver had only completed about 20 laps in the past. The car felt extremly competant. When I thought we were approaching a bend too hot, speed was scrubbed off and when I expect oversteer it didnt come. The acceleration was relentless and no matter what gear or revs power felt available. I left very impressed.
The overlying question still has to be will the car last the test of time. 10 Laps in a weekend is different than a cold feb morning start up isnt it?

Oh and yes I know what TVR ownership is all about, I owned a classic for 7 trouble free years.

Gary
Old 22 July 2005, 10:17 AM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Question

Originally Posted by Gutmann pug

Oh and yes I know what TVR ownership is all about, I owned a classic for 7 trouble free years.

Gary
Gary,

Is that tongue in cheek? I often keep thinking of getting some form of V8 TVR but the reliability rumours (?) always scare the living daylights out of me.

Damian.
Old 22 July 2005, 10:57 AM
Want Best STI
Scooby Regular

Sagris
Old 22 July 2005, 11:02 AM
scooby_matt
Scooby Regular

Sagaris and a 950 fesser pop...just to be on the safe side
Old 22 July 2005, 11:17 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SPEN555
Gary,

Is that tongue in cheek? I often keep thinking of getting some form of V8 TVR but the reliability rumours (?) always scare the living daylights out of me.

Damian.
I had 7 cracking years of ownership. My car was an S3 the fore runner to the Chimera and Griffith. It was a brilliant car. It let me down once in 7 years of ownership. It overheated due to the cooling fan not cutting in. I wired the fan in constantly after that and all was well. It was serviced by my mate once a year and cost peanuts to maintain (in comparison to newer cars). The insurance was about £300 a year limited to 5K miles. The noise was amazing, it turned heads everywhere I went and I will own another one.

If you buy a car which is a couple of years old than most of the early ownership niggles will be already sorted. I would also advise against buying in the first year of a new model coming out. TVR are reknowned for doing their test work on their customers, so problems will occur.

As with any low volume car you will hear horror stories, its the nature of the beast. You just have to go into ownership with your eyes wide open. I dont think you will regret it.

Gary

7 years and 35K miles of huge smiles.

Trending Topics

Old 22 July 2005, 11:35 AM
G_Sleigh_STi
Scooby Regular

Well the 0-60 in 3.8 secs for the Sagris and its constant powerful engine sounds like a good buy to me.

To be honest to say my scooby is so new, i cant believe the number of problems i have had with it, I have had enough of it!

When you really push it i get rattles, squeeks, vibratations and so much more from the car which everyone has noticed. Even some really odd noises from outside the car that Subaru couldnt fix. Build quality appears ot be bad enough so i cant get any worse. lol.

No its not my main run about, just evening and weekend car.
Old 22 July 2005, 11:49 AM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Smile

I had 7 cracking years of ownership. My car was an S3 the fore runner to the Chimera and Griffith. It was a brilliant car. It let me down once in 7 years of ownership. It overheated due to the cooling fan not cutting in. I wired the fan in constantly after that and all was well. It was serviced by my mate once a year and cost peanuts to maintain (in comparison to newer cars). The insurance was about £300 a year limited to 5K miles. The noise was amazing, it turned heads everywhere I went and I will own another one.

If you buy a car which is a couple of years old than most of the early ownership niggles will be already sorted. I would also advise against buying in the first year of a new model coming out. TVR are reknowned for doing their test work on their customers, so problems will occur.

As with any low volume car you will hear horror stories, its the nature of the beast. You just have to go into ownership with your eyes wide open. I dont think you will regret it.

Gary

7 years and 35K miles of huge smiles.
A track day I did years ago at Oulton Park had a guy with a Chimera and he did not have problems with it.

A couple of months ago I was at Croft for a trackday and their were huggings of TVR's on track so they can't be that bad.

Conversely, I know someone who had an 280 (1985 'C' reg) I think with the fixed head and he sold that due to too many electrical problems and sorting it was a nightmare as all the wiring was black in colour lol!

p.s. heard a Cerbera the other morning in traffic and the exhaust was cracking and popping

Damian.
Old 22 July 2005, 11:55 AM
scoobyjimbo
Scooby Regular

2 new cars..
I also made the choice last year to get my 2nd TVR - i bought the T350 (6 months old), but decided to keep my sti7 as the 2nd hand market value was awful. Having owned a TVR chimaera some 3 years go i loved the brand and all it stood for but it wasnt an every day car and at the time i needed one of those, hence the scoob purchase. Now that i can afford the TVR again i know i made the right choice, IMHO the quality has improved 100% in TVRs since i had my 1998 chimaera, and i was impressed with how they had moved on. IMHO for the money you wont beat a trevor and if i could have stretched to a sagaris that would have been my route, but in the end i went for the t350 and was not disapointed. It is a superb car and actually quite liveable with which isnt something i would normally in the past associated with TVR. My only concern was the horror stories over their own engine but i think this effected mostly the earlier 2000-2001 engines inthe tuscan etc. The fact they now offer a 3yr waranty can only be a bonus and shows they have more trust in what they offer.
The noise and raw agression of a TVR is just 1st class, i manage to spin the wheels sometimes in 3rd its just superb, i was also impressed with the steering as my last TVR has no power steering which was a killer in a car park with just big wheels, but the new models now have PAS and it does make it more managable.
Go for it and you wont regret it. I actually get on a run better MPG out of my TVR than my STI, i get around 21 ona good day out of the STI and around 24 out of the TVR so its not bad.
Have fun
J
Old 22 July 2005, 11:57 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Sagaris.... No doubt in my mind that it has to be, but I'm bias as its my favourite car in the world right now and if I earned enough to have the luxury of choice you have, I wouldnt give it a second thought
Ya jammy bugger!!!
Old 22 July 2005, 12:46 PM
G_Sleigh_STi
Scooby Regular

Dont get me wrong, i cant afford one new my self, Got to wait a year for them to lose the VAT, depreciate a bit, and see how much we can get off
Old 22 July 2005, 01:28 PM
C2forWRX
Scooby Regular

Noble.
Old 22 July 2005, 03:18 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Noble would be ok but park it next to a grown up car and it looks like it was put together by a small boy with a tube of glue. Very competant car I know but it doesnt float my boat like the new TVR's do.

Gary
Old 22 July 2005, 04:06 PM
Gidney&Knowlesy
Scooby Regular

Sagaris

Simply awesome........

Try David Hendry Cars www.dhcars.co.uk
Old 22 July 2005, 04:42 PM
scooby_matt
Scooby Regular

Noble would be ok but park it next to a grown up car and it looks like it was put together by a small boy with a tube of glue. Very competant car I know but it doesnt float my boat like the new TVR's do.

Gary
Aren't TVR's put together with glue??
Old 22 July 2005, 05:48 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Yeah but they dont look like they were put together by a small boy doing his first airfix kit IMHO
Old 22 July 2005, 06:03 PM
C2forWRX
Scooby Regular

lee noble aint a small boy with airfix glue he a genius!. I know what you mean though
Old 22 July 2005, 06:06 PM
scoobyPAT
Scooby Regular

Got to admit I'm a big fan of the T350. It's dimensions are more suited to quick A - B roads and when I had a quick blast in one it left me with a large grin on my face (and for anyone who knows me that really does take some doing )
I've never been in a Sagaris but if I was you I'd have a go at both, there's nothing like driving your choices back to back. If you go to a TVR dealer and explain that you don't know which to go for as the Scoob just doesn't hit the mark I'm sure they will let you take both out.
Old 22 July 2005, 06:10 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Sagaris is a stunning car - and performance is enough to keep up with pretty much anything - 0-60 in under 4 seconds, 0-100 in under 9 and near 200mph max.

If the build is improved then the quality must be good - I know 2 people with 1998 model Chimaera's and the build appears good on those, no bits falling off, and all the electrics work.
Old 22 July 2005, 07:59 PM
automodellistagt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Petem95
Sagaris is a stunning car - and performance is enough to keep up with pretty much anything - 0-60 in under 4 seconds, 0-100 in under 9 and near 200mph max.

If the build is improved then the quality must be good - I know 2 people with 1998 model Chimaera's and the build appears good on those, no bits falling off, and all the electrics work.
ha our chimeara all the lights on the dash went out and the wiper motors caught fire.

tvr's are dangerous. They have dangerous handling and and poor safety features in the event of a crash. I would buy the sagaris (although i think the looks are childish) if only for the asdded level of handling. Personally though id buy a REAL car and think of my loved ones.
Old 22 July 2005, 08:28 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by automodellistagt
ha our chimeara all the lights on the dash went out and the wiper motors caught fire.

tvr's are dangerous. They have dangerous handling and and poor safety features in the event of a crash. I would buy the sagaris (although i think the looks are childish) if only for the asdded level of handling. Personally though id buy a REAL car and think of my loved ones.
PMSL!

You sound like you have got it in for TVR!
Old 23 July 2005, 12:59 AM
Sideways, the way forward
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by C2forWRX
Noble.
Word to that! the M12 is a monster...quicker than the new caterham csr round a track. caterham pulls to 60 in 3.1secs! hmmm..performance!
Old 23 July 2005, 12:27 PM
Houghton
Scooby Regular

A Sagaris was entered in a sprint I did a couple of weeks ago. Bloody awesome watching it snake off the line bouncing off the limiter.

Sensational to watch round the course as the guy was a TVR team driver.

It was the day that Top Gear featured it but more impressive than JC

There's some pix of it somewhere, can post a link if anyone's interested.
Old 23 July 2005, 12:35 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Well I have a 1998 Cerbera V8 and TBH most of the issues have been niggles. In the 2 years I've had it it's needed a new radiator and a throttle cable. Once one of the windows wouldn't go up or down but the connector just needed a bit of cleaning. It's essential that they're well-maintained and serviced regularly, though. And better if you can put in a garage overnight.

I'm selling mine now, mainly because I don't use it enough. Kids are too big to fit in the back now, so I'm thinking of going Caterham Supergrads racing instead.
Old 23 July 2005, 01:00 PM
Swift Cee
Scooby Regular

Be careful, my mate had one and he ended up taking TVR to court! It leaked in the rain and to throw salt in the wounds the paint started to chip off!..not a happy bunny. nice looking motor all the same.
Old 23 July 2005, 01:12 PM
PHILL-WALES
Scooby Regular

THE CAR MAY BE QUICK BUT I THINK IT LOOKS HORRID
Old 23 July 2005, 01:17 PM
Houghton
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PHILL-WALES
THE CAR MAY BE QUICK BUT I THINK IT LOOKS HORRID
But Scoobies are real pretty :