Sponsored by:

engine check light on!

Search this Thread

Old 17 July 2005, 12:00 PM
farmerwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default engine check light on!

took the car (sti type r )to cardiff airport to go on holidays, was fine going and left it there a week.got back late friday jumped in the car tried to start it and the check light came on and it cut out it did this several times then it started running so of we went. when it warmed the check engine light went out, but it was missing a bit and there seemed to be no boost from the turbo. got home about 30 miles got up next morning and it's back on now with the same symtoms,very irratic idle, ok then from 1000rpm to 4000rpm with very little boost then from 4000rpm on it misses and pops and bangs!
any idea's?
Old 17 July 2005, 12:42 PM
doc r
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

has sum1 been taking your car for a spin while you was on hols???? lol
Old 17 July 2005, 01:03 PM
madmooro
Scooby Regular

Talking READ HERE

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...76#post4796076

looks like a genral problem.it all to do with the sensors just have to work out what one is playing up
Old 17 July 2005, 10:58 PM
black scoobs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by farmerwrx
took the car (sti type r )to cardiff airport to go on holidays, was fine going and left it there a week.got back late friday jumped in the car tried to start it and the check light came on and it cut out it did this several times then it started running so of we went. when it warmed the check engine light went out, but it was missing a bit and there seemed to be no boost from the turbo. got home about 30 miles got up next morning and it's back on now with the same symtoms,very irratic idle, ok then from 1000rpm to 4000rpm with very little boost then from 4000rpm on it misses and pops and bangs!
any idea's?
not sure if you no this ,but there is a way that when the engine cheak lights on .(im not sure some one on here will )you have to do something an it will flash on and off so many times depending on the fault the codes were posted on here not so long ago hope this helps
Old 18 July 2005, 01:03 AM
DevilHimSelf
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by black scoobs
not sure if you no this ,but there is a way that when the engine cheak lights on .(im not sure some one on here will )you have to do something an it will flash on and off so many times depending on the fault the codes were posted on here not so long ago hope this helps
CEL flashes and you can get the code, then do a search for the flashes, the one i know ohh so well is 3,2 =Lambda sensor.

to get this connect the two wires under the steering wheel, the CEL flashes and take the code, then do a search on here for cel error codes.

hope this helps.
Old 18 July 2005, 03:16 PM
farmerwrx
Scooby Regular

done a code check and the cel flashes in this way two one second flashes followed by three half second flashes. i think it's the maf sensor
Old 18 July 2005, 04:05 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

The symptoms would suggest a failing MAF sensor, but that is only an educated guess.

I'd get it to someone who knows what they're doing sooner rather than later.
Old 28 July 2005, 10:54 AM
farmerwrx
Scooby Regular

it was the maf should have it back today
Old 28 July 2005, 01:34 PM
navigator
Scooby Regular

i found this thread very interesting because my light came on just once very breilfy on a journey in the rain on sunday on the m40....I thought wot the hell was that....now i have some idea of what it could be and will keep an eye on it. It hasnt happened since.
My car is 3 and half years old...do sensors begin to fail at that age. I have done 35 k miles and always run on optimax.
Old 28 July 2005, 06:44 PM
farmerwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by navigator
i found this thread very interesting because my light came on just once very breilfy on a journey in the rain on sunday on the m40....I thought wot the hell was that....now i have some idea of what it could be and will keep an eye on it. It hasnt happened since.
My car is 3 and half years old...do sensors begin to fail at that age. I have done 35 k miles and always run on optimax.

had to take it to bristol about 50 miles from where i live the light went out a few times on the way but it still had the fault. you can tell trust me,tick over all over the place and no boost and would not rev over 4 thou. safe mode i think
Old 28 July 2005, 08:27 PM
catmeat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by farmerwrx
had to take it to bristol about 50 miles from where i live the light went out a few times on the way but it still had the fault. you can tell trust me,tick over all over the place and no boost and would not rev over 4 thou. safe mode i think
So it wasnt the maf then? who said it was?