Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Police stations and immobilisers don't mix!

Search this Thread

Old 17 July 2005, 11:55 AM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Police stations and immobilisers don't mix!

So, me and my lady had a cracking day. Watched the qualifying for the F1 Powerboats on Plymouth Hoe, had a nice lunch and a couple of beers and watched War of the Worlds in the evening (top film)... all is well with life.

Poodling back through town we decide to stop for some Egg Fried Rice at our local chinese, which happens to be within spitting distance (literally) of our friendly Police headquarters.

Egg Fried Rice ordered and consumed, we decide to head home to enjoy the remainder of our day.

"Erm......why won't the immobiliser work love?"
"don't know, it's your car"
"OK, what did you do to the car when I was ordering?"
"absolutely nothing, I swear"

Now at this point it's about 11:30

"Get out of the car a minute.......I'll just try the button from across the road.......I'll lift the bonnet.......maybe the nice man who cooked the lice will know about immobirizers"

12:00 "Hello RAC, what's your membership number"
"*************, the cars immobilized and won't un-immobilise"
"ETA of about 1hr 20mins"

12:30 "Right Darling I'm going to get a cab home get the spare key fob and try that"

12:50 "****, it's not the battery then"

01:20 "Hello RAC"
"Where's the sodding Van?"
"It'll be about about 20 mins Sir"

02:00 "Erm......the Van?"
"Oh yeah, sorry Sir, we're having to use contractors as we're extremely busy tonight, should be about 20mins"

02:20 A local tow truck turns up. And who gets out? None other then Borat, complete with moustach and blank expression.

Me: "hello mate, my immobiliser won't work"
Borat: "I am sorry Mr Sir but we do not understanding mobilers in modern cars such as yourself"

Holy Mother of God! Surely Beadle is going to jump out of the Chinky, microphone in withered hand and tell me i'm "game for a laugh". Alas, he did not appear, Borat (who the missus and I ended up quite liking) put my Shiney Scoob on to his truck and off he went into the night.

03:00 Get home, power up the PC (our passion had been tempered somewhat by now). Click, click, Scoobynet. Search: immobliser AND problem

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=364460

09:00 "Hello this is the garage, your car seems to be absolutely fine Mr Taylor"

Do I still love the Scoob? Absolutely!

Last edited by Paulo P; 18 July 2005 at 11:57 AM. Reason: change offensive term for Chinese
Old 17 July 2005, 11:59 AM
roryscoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JTaylor
So, me and my lady had a cracking day. Watched the qualifying for the F1 Powerboats on Plymouth Hoe, had a nice lunch and a couple of beers and watched War of the Worlds in the evening (top film)... all is well with life.

Poodling back through town we decide to stop for some Egg Fried Rice at our local chinky, which happens to be within spitting distance (literally) of our freindly Police headquarters.

Egg Fried Rice ordered and consumed, we decide to head home to enjoy the remainder of our day.

"Get out of the car a minute.......I'll just try the button from across the road.......I'll lift the bonnet.......maybe the nice man who cooked the lice will know about immobirizers"

12:00 "Hello RAC, what's your Memerbership number"

12:30 "Right Darling I'm going to get a cab home get the spare key fob and try that"

" Where's the sodding Van?"

"Oh yeah, sorry Sir, we're having to use contractors as we're extremely busy tonight, should be about 20mins"

02:20 A local tow truck turns up. And who gets out? None other then Borat, complete with moustach and blank expression.

Borat: "I am sorry Mr Sir but we do not understanding mobilers in modern cars such as yourself"

Holy Mother of God! Surely Beadle is going to jump of the Chinky, microphone in withered hand and tell me i'm "game for a laugh". Alas, he did not appear, Borat (who the missus and I ended up quite liking) put my Shiney Scoob on to his truck and off he went into the night.

03:00 Get home, power up the PC (our passion had been tempered somewhat by now). Click, click, Scoobynet. Search: immobliser
AND problem

09:00 "Hello this is the Garage, your Car seems to be absolutely fine Mr Taylor"

had the same problem when i parked mine next to a footy stadium ! 2 hours then it just worked fine again ? wierd
Old 17 July 2005, 12:48 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by roryscoob
had the same problem when i parked mine next to a footy stadium ! 2 hours then it just worked fine again ? wierd
Hello matey,

Go back and have a look at the link, this should explain the weirdness.

JT
Old 17 July 2005, 12:52 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've heard that the same can happen with fire stations too
Old 17 July 2005, 01:01 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

makes for good reading
Old 17 July 2005, 01:02 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulpalmer
I've heard that the same can happen with fire stations too
Yeah it's painfull, in fact it mega-hurts
Old 17 July 2005, 01:44 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Why didn't you use the keypad?
Old 17 July 2005, 01:53 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattW
Why didn't you use the keypad?
I don't know.....
Old 17 July 2005, 02:23 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

I was warned by my dealer, not to park next to Police stations, are any where else where there are powerfull transmitters, cos the key fob used Radio waves to disarm the immobiliser. Was told if this happens just push/freewheel your car away from the transmitters, then everything will work. Or failing that enter your immobiliser code into the keypad under the dash.
You would expect this on car's maybe 10-15 years ago. But not bloody 2005. Aren't the Japanese supposed to be world leaders in Electronics???? Obviously not.
Old 18 July 2005, 01:41 AM
eg3+3
Scooby Newbie

Aren't the Japanese supposed to be world leaders in Electronics???? Obviously not.

haha, if you have money, will you buy a 42" SONY plasma or UK brand GOODMAN 42" crappy!
Old 18 July 2005, 09:39 AM
wwp8
Scooby Regular

Poodling back through town we decide to stop for some Egg Fried Rice at our local chinky, which happens to be within spitting distance (literally) of our friendly Police headquarters.

12:00 "Hello RAC, what's your membership number"

"Where's the sodding Van?"

Holy Mother of God! Surely Beadle is going to jump out of the Chinky, microphone in withered hand and tell me i'm "game for a laugh". Alas, he did not appear, Borat (who the missus and I ended up quite liking) put my Shiney Scoob on to his truck and off he went into the night.

03:00 Get home, power up the PC (our passion had been tempered somewhat by now). Click, click, Scoobynet. Search: immobliser AND problem

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=364460

09:00 "Hello this is the garage, your car seems to be absolutely fine Mr Taylor"

call me old fashioned but i still seem to feel offended by that word
Old 18 July 2005, 09:52 AM
richiewong
Twatful

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by wwp8
call me old fashioned but i still seem to feel offended by that word
Strangely enough so do I!!!
Old 18 July 2005, 10:11 AM
talizman
Scooby Regular

chinky
maybe the nice man who cooked the lice will know about immobirizers
If I uttered these words at work I'd be disciplined for racial discrimination......

Not that I would cos I'm not a racist.

Old 18 July 2005, 10:36 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

As a side issue, I know what causes this problem and how to fix it, but curiously I'm not in a mood to share this information!
Old 18 July 2005, 11:26 AM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Is the name Jock offensive?

Aussie?

Pom?

For goodness sake.... I actually hesitated when I went to write this "offensive" word but rebelled and wrote it because political correctness (although it has it's place) has to be moderated in order keep alive the richness of human interaction. Ling (drinks at my local), who happens to work at said CHINKY, and is of Chinese origin, will actually say "Does any body want anything from the Chinky?". It is also a fact that sometimes people who's first language is Chinese, sometimes get their R's and L's mixed up. This is an amusing quirk - highlighting this is not a Race Hate Crime. When I've been to the States, the YANKS take the mickey out of my posh English accent and ask me if I want a cup of tea and some fish and chips. Big friggin' deal!!! I find it amusing and then sit down and enjoy a beer with my cousins from across the pond. If I do some thing out of turn I may hear "goddam Limey" - so bloody what? Amusing and meant endearingly.

Chinese poeple are the largest ethnic group in Plymouth and now I'm going to do some stereo typing. I never see Chinese who go out and get hammered, cause fights and puke all over the Barbican. The Chinese seem to be naturally polite, affable and hard working. The Chinese have different colour skin to Northern Europeans. The Chinese people that I know all seem to have warm smiles. Chinese people's eyes are different. Chinese women seem to be more naturally petite then Europeans....the lone student who single-handedly stopped a line of tanks in Tiananmen Square in 1989, inspired me in an indescribable way. Incidentally, also in 1989, the Ayatollah Khomenei issued a Fatwah against Salman Rushdie - simply because the man had the courage to publish his thoughts and beliefs. The west was appalled and then proceeded to embark upon a programme of social engineering, dictating to the masses what words can be spoken and those that cannot. I guess "Chinky" was on the hitlist.

To those people of Chinese orgin that have found this offensive - please, please tell me why. If it's simply "because" then I will opologise and edit the thread.
Old 18 July 2005, 11:28 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

Andy - can you let us know ? my wifes MG does this on and off in a couple of streets where she parks - would be handy to know how to fix it without having to drive out and push the car for her every time !

Ta
Old 18 July 2005, 11:45 AM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

P.S.

Talizman - To be offended by the use of the word Chinky and then to actually acuse me of being a racist doesn't stack up. Here's why -

Chinky - abbreviation of the word Chinese referring specifically to a Chinese Restaurant or Takeaway.

Racist - Racially intolerant, a person with a prejudiced belief that one race is superior to others.

Which do you feel is more offensive?

When I was waiting outside the Chinky for the person who was similar to Borat from Ali G (damn, that guy's a racist), one of the takeaway workers came out and asked if there was a problem with the car. I said yes, "bloody Japanese Crap". We both laughed.

Is this racist? What about if I'd said "Jap Crap".

When I worked in a call centre, one of my fellow managers wanted to point out one of the advisors to me.

"The chap with the glasses and jumper....over there look by the door.......just turning to the left now". Eventually I worked out who she was referring too. It was the only black man on the shift, but my colleague was so scared to utter the word black that she would not allude to the mans single most distinguishing feature.

Is she not racist?

Racism is something which exists in the hearts and minds of individuals and cannot be attributed solely to the use of language. Go and read the Daily / Sunday Mail..... not a single word that could be considered politically incorrect, but I always get the impression that the paper has a nationalist tendancy that could be considered intolerant.

My words could be considered at worst insensitive, but I pray that somebody like me, with an unusually strong social consience, is not branded a racist for the innocent use of locally acceptable nick names.

Last edited by JTaylor; 18 July 2005 at 12:29 PM.
Old 18 July 2005, 12:15 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Chinky - abreviation of the word Chinese referring specifically to a Chinese Restaurant or Takeaway.
So for example it's ok to call the local shop a "Paki shop" because it's directed at the establishment and not the person?

When I was waiting outside the Chinky waiting for the person who was similar to Borat from Ali G (damn, that guy's a racist) in his van, one of the takeaway workers came out and asked if there was a problem with the car. I said yes, "bloody Japanese Crap". We both laughed.

Is this racist?
Hardly

When I worked in a call centre, one of my fellow managers wanted to point out one of the advisors to me.

"The chap with the glasses and jumper....over there look by the door.......just turning to the left now". Eventually I worked out who she was referring too. It was the only black man on the shift, but my colleague was so scared to utter the word black that she would not allude to the mans single most distinguishing feature.

Is she not racist?
Sounds like she is over sensitive! I don't mind being pointed out and called the Chinese guy/gentleman/man/chap/bloke, but call me a ***** and I would have words!

Ling (drinks at my local), who happens to work at said CHINKY, and is of Chinese origin, will actually say "Does any body want anything from the Chinky?". It is also a fact that sometimes people who's first language is Chinese, sometimes get their R's and L's mixed up. This is an amusing quirk
If I called my black friends *******, Chinese friends ****** and my Pakistani friends pakis, and we all knew that was OK. That does not make it right that I would refer to complete strangers in the fashion. I call some of my friends *c word meaning lady bits* but that doesn't mean I use that in common conversation!

Do you take the **** out of people with speech impediments? That's an "amusing quirk"
Old 18 July 2005, 12:25 PM
paul-s
Scooby Regular

why is everyone so bothered about such a trivial thing ffs no wonder everything gets off topic so quick on here and everyone says scoobynet is just a bitch-fest full of handbags
Old 18 July 2005, 12:29 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Me thinks some people are being a bit sensitive here. I can't see a problem with refering to a chinese takeaway as the "Chinky". It's far to easy these days to play the racist card. I wear glasses, so all my life I've had 4 eyes, Joe ninty jokes. Now is this racist towards people who wear glasses? Yes, in todays terms. A Black man can stand in front of me calling me 4 eye's etc. Yet this is deamed OK. Now if I retort with the word `Black`. I'm a racist ???? What's the difference? Nowt. Look at Footballers. two of them have an argument, one's white, one Black. Every time you here it's down to racism. Why? cos it's easy for the Black player to win by saying the white player called him `Black`.
I mean, it's not just Racism. It's sexism as well. Your deamed sexist, if you say "postman" these days. It's politically correct to say "post person". I say Bollox !!!

To many people jumping on the Racist/political correctness bandwagon. Lets get a grip, JTaylor was not being racist, but was to those that wanted it to be.
Old 18 July 2005, 12:33 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Andy Tang
So for example it's ok to call the local shop a "Paki shop" because it's directed at the establishment and not the person?

Hardly

Sounds like she is over sensitive! I don't mind being pointed out and called the Chinese guy/gentleman/man/chap/bloke, but call me a ***** and I would have words!

If I called my black friends *******, Chinese friends ****** and my Pakistani friends pakis, and we all knew that was OK. That does not make it right that I would refer to complete strangers in the fashion. I call some of my friends *c word meaning lady bits* but that doesn't mean I use that in common conversation!

Do you take the **** out of people with speech impediments? That's an "amusing quirk"

Andy, Richie, WWP8

I apologise to you and anyone else that feels the same. I had absolutely no intention of causing offence and have learnt a valuble lesson regarding peoples sensitivity to certain words. I guess I didn't know my audience. In hindsight I won't edit the post, as this may undermine the clarity of the thread.

Best Wishes

James

Last edited by JTaylor; 18 July 2005 at 01:27 PM.
Old 18 July 2005, 07:40 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Andy, Richie, WWP8

I apologise to you and anyone else that feels the same. I had absolutely no intention of causing offence and have learnt a valuble lesson regarding peoples sensitivity to certain words. I guess I didn't know my audience. In hindsight I won't edit the post, as this may undermine the clarity of the thread.

Best Wishes

James
James,

This post does go some way to "repair" any offence that may have been caused by your insensitive use of terminology.

For the record, I was not offended at the language you chose, however, I have lots of asian, oriental and black friends, hence I am somewhat sensitive to the use of what may be deemed "derogatory" phrases. I would never dream of referring to them as paki, chinky, ****** etc even though I have experienced some of them referring to their own using these phrases!

I agree that political correctness has run out of control....

FFS, kids in pre-school now sing "Baa Baa WOOLY Sheep"! and the teacher writes on a "CHALK board"! How can describing something in its most literal sense be deemed inapproapiate at best, or racist at worst.

I apologise for inferring that your comment is one that a racist may make, as I certainly did not wish to suggets this. I was merely upset at your choice of language.
Old 18 July 2005, 07:54 PM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

Well, yes I sometimes use a supermarket some 200 metres from a Police Headquarters.
Usually end up using the Scoob's keypad.
Same near mobile phone masts.
Old 18 July 2005, 08:49 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Cheers Talizman, made feel a bit better.

I just mentioned this thread to my missus, ahem, partner. She said, and I quote....

"of course people will be offended by that, it's a derogatory term you knobber"

I can't believe that having lived for 29 years, having studied politics, travelled, been a Prince's Trust volunteer, a manager and self confessed bleeding heart liberal that I never new this term was offensive. I genuinely believed "Chinky" to simply be a nickname for a Chinese Takeaway having been used by me and my peers, of all colours and creeds, since I can remember.

I actually feel really gutted to have offended people.

So, the gag that goes....

"I was at a Chinese Restaurant the other night and mentioned to the waiter that the chicken was rubbery and he said "thank you velly much"" should not be told, not just because it's a poor attempt at humour, but because it alludes to the fact that some Chinese people mix up their Rs and Ls?

I've always beleived that jokes like this, the paddy and murphy lines etc. etc. were simply funny and highlighted the rich tapestry and quirks of multi-cultural life. Is imitation no-longer the highest form of flattery? Should Sacha Cohen Baron quit the "Is it 'cos I is black?" patter, or is that acceptable because Sacha himself is from an "ethnic minority" group?

These are serious questions that I'd love to have answers to, so that I know what I can and cannot say in the future.

Last edited by JTaylor; 19 July 2005 at 02:09 AM.
Old 18 July 2005, 09:20 PM
si97
Scooby Regular

my girlfriend is chinese and has no problem with chinky... in fact at her suggestion we have just been to the 'chinky'. Not every one is so sensitive but in our PC world we always get criticised.

BTW chinese call us guailo (maybe not the right spelling). means 'ghost guy' or some thing like that. The guy in the chinese just said it to my gf whilst talking cantonise. I took no offence i just smiled at that i could recognise a word

http://www.oohyeahzone.com/lyrics.html#guailo2

so no offence and everyone else get over it.

BTW my GF is LOL about the complaints. ( she is born chinese not english so her opinon is fine)

Last edited by si97; 18 July 2005 at 09:29 PM. Reason: very very poor spelling - and theres probably more, answers on a p0stcard
Old 18 July 2005, 10:14 PM
wrxtankie
Scooby Regular

Location: A.K.A RAIDEN, Watford & Tidworth. V7 STI Type RA Spec C, V2 STI,97JDM WRX, Daytona 675R

Back on topic for a mo, It is highly probable what you were a victim of was ECM or electronic counter measures, you will find these at places like police stations and airports.

They interupt civillian radio freq´s ie CB, walkie talkie other small RF transmiters. This is beacause in theory you can initiate an explosive device with the use of such items.

We use these bits of kit in various theatres of operations in my job.
Obviously i can t go into detail but you may get the idea.
Old 18 July 2005, 10:44 PM
nicos
Scooby Newbie

my old golf did the same if i went to sainsburys! couldnt even use the key pad,now ive got the scooby with the same alarm!! oh well gets me out of doing the shopping!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 18 July 2005, 10:48 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Wink

Originally Posted by talizman
If I uttered these words at work I'd be disciplined for racial discrimination......

Not that I would cos I'm not a racist.

Get a grip - Split link
Old 19 July 2005, 12:24 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by si97
my girlfriend is chinese and has no problem with chinky... in fact at her suggestion we have just been to the 'chinky'. Not every one is so sensitive but in our PC world we always get criticised.

BTW chinese call us guailo (maybe not the right spelling). means 'ghost guy' or some thing like that. The guy in the chinese just said it to my gf whilst talking cantonise. I took no offence i just smiled at that i could recognise a word

http://www.oohyeahzone.com/lyrics.html#guailo2

so no offence and everyone else get over it.

BTW my GF is LOL about the complaints. ( she is born chinese not english so her opinon is fine)
So if you called your black friends *******, would it be right to call other black people *******? Of course not!

So just because your gf is ok with the term, it does not mean that other Chinese people are!

Yes, Guai-Lo is a racist term, are most of the other Catonese descriptions of other races. Sai-Yung is the PC term (roughly translated as person of European descent), which is what my parents use to describe my wife.
Old 19 July 2005, 12:27 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Andy, Richie, WWP8

Best Wishes

James
James, it was big of you to apologise and I accept your apology.

BTW, it is a known problem with the Sigma alarm fitted to the Subarus. Speak to your dealer should fix it under warrenty. If they don't go to Sigma directly, who may be able to help.

Quick Reply: Police stations and immobilisers don't mix!