Sponsored by:

***big end bearing failure IMPORTANT ****

Search this Thread

Old 12 July 2005, 06:54 PM
scott.w
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ***big end bearing failure IMPORTANT ****

has this happened to ANYONE with a STANDARD scooby,please list the year of your car and the mileage and the outcome (dealer warrenty ?).
i am looking into legal procedings ....
thank you

can a moderator make this sticky
Old 12 July 2005, 09:55 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

What were you doing when the engine failed, as a matter of interest? If you don't want to say on the thread, you can PM.
Old 12 July 2005, 10:01 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

What B/e bearing failed ???

Out of interest
Old 12 July 2005, 10:41 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

hows about this, brand new engine moved 10 feet big end went!
Old 12 July 2005, 10:48 PM
ukdave
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scott.w
has this happened to ANYONE with a STANDARD scooby,please list the year of your car and the mileage and the outcome (dealer warrenty ?).
i am looking into legal procedings ....
thank you

can a moderator make this sticky
would have liked more details eg how olds yours mileage etc 2b honest think its a regular thing with older cars.had one mate get 2 rebuilds done in 1 yr under subaru warranty for melted pistons due to faulty maf,them i know off with crank/big end trouble have always been out of warranty though.
Old 12 July 2005, 11:16 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by scoobyboy
hows about this, brand new engine moved 10 feet big end went!
Component failure !

It happens
Old 12 July 2005, 11:29 PM
wrx.co.uk
Scooby Regular

You need to give more information, but any dealer should cover the car for big end failure for at least 6 months. Other than running out of oil can't see how this could be put down as your fault.

Lee.
Old 12 July 2005, 11:32 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Other than running out of oil can't see how this could be put down as your fault.
Apart from if he was trying to max out the car. Which too many ******* these days think is a great idea.
Old 12 July 2005, 11:36 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by wrx.co.uk
You need to give more information, but any dealer should cover the car for big end failure for at least 6 months. Other than running out of oil can't see how this could be put down as your fault.

Lee.
Outwith warranty ??
Old 13 July 2005, 06:25 PM
scott.w
Scooby Regular

i was nt even driving it !!!my old man and mother were in it so think it was doing about 40 mph
subaru were going to replace it but there was a service missing out of the book..my car is a 2000 classic with only 41k on it.
Old 13 July 2005, 06:42 PM
jbwrx300
Scooby Regular

i was nt even driving it !!!my old man and mother were in it so think it was doing about 40 mph
subaru were going to replace it but there was a service missing out of the book..my car is a 2000 classic with only 41k on it.
Can you help me out here? It seems very drastic that you want the post making a sticky but have given no indication of why it should be. You've got more chance of plaiting dust I would have thought until you 'fess up the full story.

Can you clarify:
It is a MY00, but you mention that a service is missing out of the book. What difference does this make:

If you refer to a warranty then I assume you have just recently bought it, in which case the parts and labour warranty should be honoured regardless what services have been done/not done.

If you've not recently bought it, then I am even more confused as to what the problem is.
Old 13 July 2005, 07:24 PM
scott.w
Scooby Regular

right,bought the car (myoo uk) about 3 weeks ago private,
big end has gone after it was serviced 600 miles ago by dealer,contacted subaru and they were going to pay 80% of the cost as a "good will" jesture (engine is £3500 +fitting ).i find this a little too easy to beleive ...
when i showed them my service book,one of the services is missing so this is what they are blaming and have done a u turn.
i think subaru know about this fault and are wainting for engines to go instead of doing a product racall,im going to contact trading standards so i what to know from as many people as possible to see how many cars this affects.
Old 13 July 2005, 08:51 PM
speedystu
Scooby Regular

hello scott.w i have just had the same thing happen to me well about three months agoand what a wanger it is your looking at beteen £3000 and £4000 for the job, mine was 3800 thats with all uprated forged rods pistons oil and fuel pumps and a few other little odds and sods.

good luck......................
Old 13 July 2005, 09:23 PM
Dick Cheese
Scooby Regular

right,bought the car (myoo uk) about 3 weeks ago private,
big end has gone after it was serviced 600 miles ago by dealer,contacted subaru and they were going to pay 80% of the cost as a "good will" jesture (engine is £3500 +fitting ).i find this a little too easy to beleive ...
when i showed them my service book,one of the services is missing so this is what they are blaming and have done a u turn.
i think subaru know about this fault and are wainting for engines to go instead of doing a product racall,im going to contact trading standards so i what to know from as many people as possible to see how many cars this affects.
I'm not sure what the intervals are for that year, but missing a service completely would be grounds for voiding the warrantee. It was up to you at the time of purchasing the car to make sure it had "FSH" if claimed. It may be a case of a dealer forgetting to stamp the book, in which case they should still have a record of the service. Best to have a word with the chap who sold you the car and ask him IF it was serviced, when and where so you can get some kind of evidence to present to subaru.

Have you done *any* v-max runs in the car since you bought it?
Old 13 July 2005, 09:43 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would put my wage on the hunch that it was the BIG service that was missed???

At £650 it would be the one!!! Especially as the seller knew he was going to sell!!

Pete
Old 13 July 2005, 11:17 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

The 45k? But that's a cambelt thing, not a big-end bearing thing.

And he's only got 41k on it
Old 13 July 2005, 11:19 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bubba po
The 45k? But that's a cambelt thing, not a big-end bearing thing.
And plugs and all fluids and check of such things as emissions etc.!

Its the obvious one to miss if you are selling isn't it now?

Pete
Old 13 July 2005, 11:49 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by pslewis
And plugs and all fluids and check of such things as emissions etc.!

Its the obvious one to miss if you are selling isn't it now?

Pete
But he hasn't reached it yet. Am I missing something?
Old 13 July 2005, 11:55 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

deleted my first msg but now i am defo thinking

maf, or was this only 99 cars>?
top speed run
or just ragged to death i.e over revved.

I DONT think its because it missed a service!!!!

Andy

Originally Posted by Bubba po
But he hasn't reached it yet. Am I missing something?
Old 13 July 2005, 11:56 PM
scooby stu!!
Scooby Regular

I have just had the same thing happen to me my00 65k full subaru service history! I stoped driving it as soon as I heard it, so damage was minimal. Needed a crank regrind and a rebuild. Rough cost was £2500 and it took me 3 letters to subaru uk to get a £250 goodwill gesture (**** poor IMHO) and the attitude of their tecnical director stunk!

If you dont have a full service history, then you dont really have a leg to stand on m8. I would think you would be best to just keep on and on at subaru until they give in!!
Old 13 July 2005, 11:59 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

and i hear it so many times.... "scooby engines are bomb proof"

Originally Posted by scooby stu!!
I have just had the same thing happen to me my00 65k full subaru service history! I stoped driving it as soon as I heard it, so damage was minimal. Needed a crank regrind and a rebuild. Rough cost was £2500 and it took me 3 letters to subaru uk to get a £250 goodwill gesture (**** poor IMHO) and the attitude of their tecnical director stunk!

If you dont have a full service history, then you dont really have a leg to stand on m8. I would think you would be best to just keep on and on at subaru until they give in!!
Old 13 July 2005, 11:59 PM
SHADWELLARMY
Scooby Newbie

Unhappy

Now you got me worried, looking at buying a used UK V reg with 44k on it, fsh and all that, but this thread has got me worried!
Old 14 July 2005, 12:13 AM
scooby stu!!
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dj219957
and i hear it so many times.... "scooby engines are bomb proof"
they are deffo not that! more like a bomb waiting to go off
Old 14 July 2005, 08:22 AM
scoobyrob
Scooby Regular

The big end went on my car 4 days after Subaru did an oil leak repair my98 86k, fsh. they refused to accept responsibility and quoted 4k for repair. Car just sitting on drive now! let me know how u got on robsi78@hotmail.com

rob.
Old 14 July 2005, 08:34 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Ouch!

If I were in your position I'd be taking legal advice right now - and if you want to do that, don't prejudice your case by writing too much about it in public until everything's resolved.

£4k is excessive. You should be paying more like £2k to £2.5k, and that could include things like an uprated oil pump or an STI crankshaft that would help prevent it from happening again. Talk to API Engines, ScoobyClinic, Xtreme Scoobies, Powerstation and Thames Valley Motorsport for starters.

In case it makes you feel any better, when a big end went on my MY00, the total estimate for parts & labour from my Subaru dealer came to a laughable £5,300.
Old 14 July 2005, 08:36 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ouch!
Mate of mine had engine failure on his MY00 turbo, cost him the price of a new engine (he knows someone ) which was 1500 plus vat.

Tony
Old 14 July 2005, 08:44 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by AndyC_772
Ouch!

If I were in your position I'd be taking legal advice right now - and if you want to do that,

£4k is excessive. You should be paying more like £2k to £2.5k, and that could include things like an uprated oil pump or an STI crankshaft that would help prevent it from happening again. Talk to API Engines, ScoobyClinic, Xtreme Scoobies, Powerstation and Thames Valley Motorsport for starters.

Completely agree!

NS04
Old 14 July 2005, 09:21 AM
scoobyrob
Scooby Regular

did think about legal action but it the costs and the fought of losing. Subaru said that it was the oil leak that caused the big end to go. As a good will thingy they striped down all the work they did to make sure that it weren't anything they done! is there anyone on here who can give legal advice?

rob
Old 14 July 2005, 10:01 AM
Gidney&Knowlesy
Scooby Regular

With a big end failure it is always important to strip & assess the damage. It also needs to be found out as to what caused the failure.Speaking to a solicitor will help in the first instance as to where you stand legally.

Though in at least 40 terminal failures where engineers were called to inspect damage, only 1 engine was rebuilt under warranty (These examples are where customers had a warranty 3rd party).

In the majority of the above, whilst I have extensive reports the all to common phrase is "wear & tear". Mileages seen are between 18000 & 75000 & 4-5 years old. On subsequent visits customers may "out" the truth & the commonality is top end speed maybe 1/2 weeks prior to the big ends going.

IMHO the Subaru is seen as the WRC Rally Car & by most is driven as such (though with Solbergs input this year some owners maybe pushing a bit harder However under these conditions a great deal of high spec cars would also suffer the same fate.
Old 14 July 2005, 11:19 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Gidney&Knowlesy
With a big end failure it is always important to strip & assess the damage. It also needs to be found out as to what caused the failure.Speaking to a solicitor will help in the first instance as to where you stand legally.

Though in at least 40 terminal failures where engineers were called to inspect damage, only 1 engine was rebuilt under warranty (These examples are where customers had a warranty 3rd party).

In the majority of the above, whilst I have extensive reports the all to common phrase is "wear & tear". Mileages seen are between 18000 & 75000 & 4-5 years old. On subsequent visits customers may "out" the truth & the commonality is top end speed maybe 1/2 weeks prior to the big ends going.

IMHO the Subaru is seen as the WRC Rally Car & by most is driven as such (though with Solbergs input this year some owners maybe pushing a bit harder However under these conditions a great deal of high spec cars would also suffer the same fate.
Thank goodness I'm too much of a coward to consider going for anywhere near the top speed on mine!!

Quick Reply: ***big end bearing failure IMPORTANT ****