Sponsored by:

Bought a Turbo 2000, buying advice

Search this Thread

Old 11 July 2005, 12:00 PM
smithy81
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Bought a Turbo 2000, buying advice

Hi all, first post of behalf of a friend unfortunetly!

He's picking up a W reg Turbo 2000 this week and would really appreciate it if someone could post up any snagging bits to look out for on final inspection / collection.

He's looked over it a lot, and cosmetically it's mint inside and out, but where techy stuff is involved, doesn't have a clue.

Thanks in advance!
Old 11 July 2005, 12:16 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

He should start it up, and when warm, listen for any signs of fluctuating idle, which could be a sign of a failing Mass Air Flow sensor.They can be a real weak point on scoobs of '99-00 years.
Old 11 July 2005, 12:18 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

find out if the car has been modded, if so, who carried them out and what mods, best to list them off.
Old 11 July 2005, 12:58 PM
smithy81
Scooby Newbie

Ah, the MAF is the weak point on the scoobs aswell. I own an Ibiza, I know the 1.8 20vT engines are prone to this aswell, will check it out!

As for mods, it's completely standard, fsh with lots of Subaru stamps.
Old 11 July 2005, 01:41 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by smithy81
Hi all, first post of behalf of a friend unfortunetly!

He's picking up a W reg Turbo 2000 this week and would really appreciate it if someone could post up any snagging bits to look out for on final inspection / collection.

He's looked over it a lot, and cosmetically it's mint inside and out, but where techy stuff is involved, doesn't have a clue.

Thanks in advance!
Lost count of the number of times I said this, but here are the rules for buying a Scooby:

1) Full subaru or reputable service history a must.
2) If the initial inspection looks good, get in independently inspected DO NOT take a tyre kicker approach. HPI check also a very good idea!
3) As few owners as possible and see if you can speak to them. Get the current owner to take you out for a test drive, does he warm the car up before extending it? Does he let it cool down? What petrol has he run it on? What oil?
4) Avoid a car that has had cheap/nasty mods. No daft induction kits, which often kill the scoobies mafs, no horrid VTA dump valves, no boost clamps etc... If you do find an attractive modified one, find out exactly what was done and by whom! More recepits the better.
5) Prepare to get to know your local petrol station staff well and spend a bit on the car. They're not cheap to run.

All the best.

NS04
Old 11 July 2005, 06:39 PM
smithy81
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Lost count of the number of times I said this, but here are the rules for buying a Scooby:

1) Full subaru or reputable service history a must.
2) If the initial inspection looks good, get in independently inspected DO NOT take a tyre kicker approach. HPI check also a very good idea!
3) As few owners as possible and see if you can speak to them. Get the current owner to take you out for a test drive, does he warm the car up before extending it? Does he let it cool down? What petrol has he run it on? What oil?
4) Avoid a car that has had cheap/nasty mods. No daft induction kits, which often kill the scoobies mafs, no horrid VTA dump valves, no boost clamps etc... If you do find an attractive modified one, find out exactly what was done and by whom! More recepits the better.
5) Prepare to get to know your local petrol station staff well and spend a bit on the car. They're not cheap to run.

All the best.

NS04
Thanks very much for the replies, great help.

1) yup
2) HPI done already done by a friend, but not an independant inspection ...short warranty from private dealer I believe - details to be found out!
3) Good points to find out, will enquire. Those turbs need looking after.
4) completely standard, so all ok
5) LOL ...he's prepared!

Cheers all!
Old 11 July 2005, 09:52 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by smithy81
Thanks very much for the replies, great help.

1) yup
2) HPI done already done by a friend, but not an independant inspection ...short warranty from private dealer I believe - details to be found out!
3) Good points to find out, will enquire. Those turbs need looking after.
4) completely standard, so all ok
5) LOL ...he's prepared!

Cheers all!
If the warranty is a bit on the stingy side or not particularly comprehensive, I'd go with an independent inspection mate, even though it's from a small dealer. It just gives a lot of peace of mind. Dealers sometimes know jack s*it about these cars and their warranties aren't always worth the paper they're written on! Better safe than sorry.

NS04
Old 12 July 2005, 08:47 AM
Nick_Cat
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
If the warranty is a bit on the stingy side or not particularly comprehensive, I'd go with an independent inspection mate, even though it's from a small dealer. It just gives a lot of peace of mind. Dealers sometimes know jack s*it about these cars and their warranties aren't always worth the paper they're written on! Better safe than sorry.

NS04
I was in the same situation: car from a small dealer who clearly didn't know much about Scoobies and a 3 month warranty, so I got an independent inspection which proved all clear except for some small cosmetic blemishes that I used for further haggling. So far so good, fingers crossed.
I would strongly recommend an inspection, you do hear of major and expensive things going wrong shortly after the purchase of one of these cars.
It will also put his mind at rest in the days following when he starts to
?imagine strange noises coming from the engineonder2:
Nick
Old 12 July 2005, 11:33 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Nick_Cat
It will also put his mind at rest in the days following when he starts to
?imagine strange noises coming from the engineonder2:
Nick
LOL. Yep, all Scooby owners go through that. These cars get under your skin like you wouldn't believe!! A good inspection will include a compression test etc.. which will give you a good indication of whether the engine is healthy and those "noises" are anything sinister!

NS04